Divus Claudius II Gothicus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gogili1977, Sep 21, 2018.

1. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

Recently, I bought these commemorative antoniniani of the Claudius Gothicus, with two different altars on the reverse, both from Cyzicus mint. These commemorative type were issued by Quintillus or Aurelian.

Claudius Gothicus first crushed the Alemanni tribe who had invaded Roman territory. Soon after Goths poured into the empire. Against all advice, Claudius confronted the barbarians at Naissus in Upper Moesia. He fought a brilliant battle and annihilated them. Unfortunately for the empire, he died of plague after a reign of only two years.

Ob. DIVO CLAVDIO
    Rev. CONSECRATIO

Altar enclosure with flames rising from top, horns visible at either side.
    104-09.jpg
    Funeral pyre of three levels with arch in first, two statues on second, and eagle facing on the third.
    104-11.jpg
    Post your Gothicus altars, there are many variants.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    TIF, Bing, dlhill132 and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice, I especially like you funeral pyre Claudius a coin type that has eluded me but would really like. I have one of the altar type bought from our Coin Talk friend
    Ken Dorney who not only sold it cheap generously sent it to Australia for free. 2Xsoa9xCZcA7D5wHqHL63tbFsS4nM8.jpg

TIF, Bing, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  4. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Yes, that funeral pyre is amazing, never saw a coin like it!

5. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Had Claudius Gothicus not died of the plague so early in his reign. I think late Roman history, and that of the rest of the world, would have been very different, and for the better, too.

6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Love that funeral pyre - I've never spotted one of those for sale!

Here's an odd one... a DIVO CLAVDIO muled with a Quintillus PAX AVGVSTI reverse. These are common-ish from Rome, but scarce to rare elsewhere. Divo Claudio Pax.jpg

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow! 1st funeral pyre on a Claud. Goth. i've seen..nice!:)

9. gogili1977

This variant with "GOTHICO" is also on my wish list.

10. gogili1977

Can somebody help me to identify this right coin on photo. Left is standard Claudius II Gothicus antoninianus, and right small, 15 mm diameter, thick I think Claudius II Gothicus PAX AVG, but I do not know anything about this small version of antoninian.
    20180922_104549.jpg
    20180922_104629.jpg
    20180922_104642.jpg

Bing likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins @gogili1977 - I don't have a DIVO CLAVDIO yet but I've got my eyes open for one. Here's my humble Claudius II.

claud1.jpg

claud2.jpg

TIF, Bing and gogili1977 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted