Diving back in..

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silverhouse, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

Hello everybody, after 4 years of taking a Serious Coin hiatus, mainly because my life situation has changed drastically. Some of you older posters may know I used to be a table games dealer back in Maryland. I had to sell my entire coin collection at that time, one that I had been building up since 2010. I've met many great people here, and purchased coins from some of you, And I've always enjoyed coin talk.

I have been out of the collecting game for so long - mainly because of finances that really have not allowed me to purchase the kind of coins I I used to purchase. However, through savings through the last four years combined with some of my tax return. I am getting this year, I can finally afford to purchase some coins that I otherwise would not be able to. It looks like I'll be able to only purchase coins once-a-year a year now. in doing so I have been looking at higher end gold coins and some silver ones. Some key dates and so forth. So before I make any move, I would like to consult the coin Elders, LOL. Those with experience. Those who may know me and have helped me, and whom I have purchased coins from in the past. The problem is I keep looking at all these coins and my mind gets flooded and I I do not want to go overboard. . LOL.

I apologize for the long post. But when one is considering making a Serious Coin purchase with serious amount of money, [ serious to me .I want to make the right decision. A couple of coins I had in mind was the 2019 American Liberty gold high relief. The 1955 double die Lincoln cent. My budgets about XF 40 or 45 for that coin. A Saint Gaudens Double Eagle, but I do not know the series so that is in the gray basket. I was thinking of an m s trade dollar. As well. Barber half dollar or a barber proof half dollar. So that's my shortlist. I do not plan to get all the coins. I have listed, maybe one or two and that is all. Any suggestions or pointers would be helpful again. Sorry for the long post. My budget is 3,000... Because I know somebody may ask, So that's your assignment Coin Talk, LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Betts likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Betts

David Betts Elle Mae Clampett cruising with Dad

Silverhouse likes this.
  4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

What did you collect before? What do you miss from your previous collection the most? What are your goals? You mentioned gold. US gold, World Gold, bullion? There are infinite possibilities that only you can decide to collect what makes you happy.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  5. Silverhouse

I like pre- 1933 gold. Some of the King Edward gold from Canada. And as I said, the 2019 American Liberty High Relief.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  6. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Welcome back, Silverhouse...

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ms trade dollar my pick but that’s me. 76-8-s or 77 p. But personally I’d buy a nice au 55-8 with good eye appeal which will only cost you $5-600 I prefer pcgs graded and cac approved if possible on these as I feel pcgs much tougher on trades and resale higher. As to the 55 ddo that’s always a classic. I’d buy an au brown myself with eye appeal. For bang for your buck on the saints 08 no motto 24 7 or 8. In 64. Just over bullion which keeps going up. $1650 or so now. Was $1375 last year. The modern coins I could care less about but a pretty barber half is a challenge especially in business strike. There’s nice proofs out there. Again look for a pretty au 58 preferably a cac. You’ll pay extra but the long run your resale will be better if circumstances change. I myself had some major life issues too and those great eye appealing coins sold fast and for a profit over the premium I paid.

8. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

I don't know how long you've been out of the game or if you have kept up with newer developments. There's been a lot of talk about Chinese counterfeits and how the quality of them has been getting better. Not only counterfeit coins but TPG slabs as well. If I were putting serious money into it I would stick with trusted sellers and TPG graded coins. @Jack D. Young has great threads about counterfeits.
    I'm sure many members here will help you with any questions. :)

Santinidollar and Jack D. Young like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

10. Silverhouse

Thank you!

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Silverhouse

Thank you. I have been looking at a few $10.00 Gold Eagles... Precisely the 1884 issue Mike @ Tough Coins has for sale right now. That one is on my list. At least, it was on there last I looked a couple of days ago.

Jack D. Young and ToughCOINS like this.
  12. Silverhouse

I do love the Trade dollar that's for sure. The 55 DDO I was looking at, was as you described in XF 40 if I recall. I have a few Barber Halves on my list too. I'll keep the thread updated

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Any thoughts about coming over to the dark side...

14. Silverhouse

Dark side of what? lol

15. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

For $3000, you can buy a really nice DICT PERPETVO denarius struck by Julius Caesar between March 1 and March 14 in 44 BC. It is often cited as “The coin which killed Caesar.”

16. Silverhouse

I would not know where to acquire such a coin. I know there are ancient collectors and I have browsed the thread before.

17. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Welcome back Jason.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  18. Silverhouse

Oops hit wrong button.

19. Silverhouse

Thanks Mike! I took a 2nd look at that 1884 10.00 and its just a tad over my budget.. lol.. but I'm still shopping!

20. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

reputable dealers and auction houses, mostly

Jack D. Young likes this.
  21. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome back.

Draft saved Draft deleted