DIVINE TWINS/HORSEMEN on coins and in GLOBAL LORE

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mike Margolis, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

The bright twin northern stars adjacent to the milky way have been revered by peoples all over the globe for many thousands of years. geminiphoto.jpg In the Norse traditions they were called The Eyes of Thiazi – These are the eyes of the sky giant that stole Idun’s apples. In ancient India they were called The Ashvins or Ashwini Kumaras (Sanskrit: अश्विन्, aśvin-, dual aśvinauअश्विनौ), in Hindu mythology, they are two Vedic gods, divine twin horsemen in the Rigveda, sons of Saranyu, a goddess of the clouds and wife of Surya in his form as Vivasvant. Nasatya and Darsa are names of ashvins. They symbolize the shining of sunrise and sunset, appearing in the sky before the dawn in a golden chariot, bringing treasures to men and averting misfortune and sickness. They are the doctors of gods and are devas of Ayurvedic medicine. They are represented as humans with the heads of horses. Origins:The Ashvins are analagous to the Proto-Indo-European horse twins.[1][2][3] Their cognates in other Indo-European mythologies include the Baltic Ašvieniai, the Greek Castor and Polydeuces(Pollux), the English Hengist and Horsa, and the Welsh Bran and Manawydan.[1](Wikipedia)

In ancient Egypt they are seen as a Man and Woman holding hands and the entire Temple of Hathor, the divine mother at Denderah was aligned to these stars as they arise in the east. This can be seen on the famous zodiac at Denderah(see image) one of the few temples in the world with a sky map to show how the temple is aligned. denderacalendar.jpg They are the couple toward the center just below the thigh bone in the center and the left one is exactly in line with the eastern gate on the bottom of the image.

In aboriginal traditions of the Americas these twins made up the sacred ballcourt where the games of life and death between the twin heroes were played out.” According to one Mayan version, the Hero Twins were Xbalanque and Hunahpu (Modern K'iche': Xb'alanke and Junajpu) who were ballplayers like their father and uncle, Hun Hunahpu and Vucub Hunahpu. Summoned to Xibalba by the Lords of the Underworld, the father and uncle were defeated and sacrificed.” From Wikipedia
    These same twins were renowned also in the Native North American traditions as the twin brothers called Monster Slayer and Born of Water by the Navajo/Dine and also as the twin gandsons of Spider Grandmother, the weaver of the worlds. twinsnavaho.jpg

In Christian teachings they were sometimes regarded as Adam and Eve and in Jewish teachings they were considered also the twin sons of Rebecca.

They enter the western religious traditions where we see their symbols of the two white horses appear as coming out of the north in the biblical book of the prophet Zechariah and their famous appearance although hidden, is in the Revelation of John where they appear as white horses, one in chapter six and the other in chapter nineteen. These twins are a key to the deeper understanding of these scriptures that were written in a hidden way to guard what was regarded as important secrets.The gnostic writers of that Christian book hid a lot in the symbolism with it’s connections to the pagan mystery traditions so as to keep it from censorship and keep their heads on their bodies.

Zechariah 6:3: ג וּבַמֶּרְכָּבָה הַשְּׁלִשִׁית, סוּסִים לְבָנִים; וּבַמֶּרְכָּבָה, הָרְבִעִית, סוּסִים בְּרֻדִּים, אֲמֻצִּים. 3 and in the third chariot white horses;

You can see here on this carving of the deity Mithra which was a big religious brotherhood in ancient Rome how the torch of Mithra highlights the depiction of the Dioscuri/twins and therefore stressing their importance as torchbearers through the centuries and millenia. mithras.jpg

Here are some of their depictions on ancient coins: coinrufus.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC République romaine. Mn. Cordius Rufus (vers 46 av. J-C). Denier F / VGROMAN REPUBLIC vers 46 av. J-CGrade: F / VG | Abbreviations
    Denier. Têtes accolées des Dioscures à droite, coiffées d'un pileus orné d'une étoile. R/: Vénus Verticordia debout à gauche, tenant un sceptre et des balances ; sur son épaule, Cupidon. B Cordia 1. Syd 976c. 3,48 g. upload_2018-9-16_9-35-41.png
    L. Memmius Ar. denarius, male hd. r., wearing oak-wreath, star below the chin, rev., the Dioscuri standing facing, holding their horses, L MEMMI in ex. (Seaby, Memmia, 1)3.90grams upload_2018-9-16_9-37-25.png

ISLANDS off THRACE, Thasos. Circa 310 BC. Æ (21mm, 7.67 g, 9h). Head of Demeter right, wearing wreath of grains / Jugate busts of the Dioskouroi right, within wreath. Le Rider, Thasiennes 40; SNG Copenhagen -; HGC 6, 363. Good Fine, rough green patina, light earthen deposits. from Brian Bucklan ex: New York Museum of Spanish History
    In summary:These twin stars and their legends are a key that threads many of the mystery wisdom lineages with the world's great religions. The white horse being an image of the unification of wisdom lineages from ancient India(kalki vishnu), Jewish(Zechariah) and Christian(Revelation) and Islamic teachings(Hadith). They are also found as well in global aboriginal legends and religion, including Mayan, Aztec, Puebloan and Navaho as well as Earth centered pagan teachings.
    Source among many:Star Names Their Lore and Meaning by Richard Hinnckley Allen Dover

POST YOUR TWINS!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

RIC VI, Ostia, No. 35, Maxentius as Augustus

[​IMG][​IMG]
    IMP C MAXENTIVS PF AVG .................................. AETERNITAS AVG N
    MOSTT in reverse exergue
    Rev: Castor & Pollux facing each other leaning on staff and holding horse (Dioscuri)

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

More unusual is this Provincial 4 assaria of Tomis by Caracalla showing the Dioscuri reclining.
    pm1275fd3294.jpg

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I miss this coin...

20171210_Eucratides-square-quadruple.jpg
    Bactria, Eucratides AE quadruple unit

6. Mike Margolis

Mike Margolis Well-Known Member

That is unusual @dougsmit ! beautiful-Kind of reminds me of the J.Domna issue of Tellus reclining under a tree. juliacoinboughtgaia.jpg
    @TIF has a spectacular one of these.

7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice writeup, Mike!

I don't have many coins with the Dioscuri but this is my favorite:

[​IMG]
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Antoninus Pius
    Regnal year 8, CE 144/5
    AE drachm, 33 mm, 23.2 gm
    Obv: [legend]; laureate draped bust right
    Rev: Serapis, wearing modius, standing facing; flanked by the Dioscuri who are also standing facing, heads turned towards Serapis, and each holding a flagellum ; [L] H in exergue
    Ref: Dattari 2864 (RY2); Dattari-Savio plate 148 coins 2864 and 8724; Emmett 1670.8; Not listed in Milne.
    Ex X6 Collection

I have two :D, although one is much nicer than the other:

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna
    AR denarius, 19.5mm, 3.17 gm, 6h. Rome mint
    Struck under Septimius Severus, circa AD 207-211
    Obv: IVLIA AVGVSTA; draped bust right
    Rev: Fecunditas or Tellus (Earth) reclining left under tree, resting arm on basket of fruit and placing hand on celestial orb; standing before her are four children representing the Four Seasons
    Ref: RIC IV 549 (Septimius Severus); RSC 35
    ex R.H. Collection

[​IMG]

9. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here's a coin a need to reshoot, this pic being representative of my "old gnarly" period of photography.
    102_4543_zps0a87448d.jpg

Indo-greek with a neat "Abe Lincoln" Zeus and the brothers favorite hats.

10. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i'm like @chrsmat71 for have a coin with the hat's of the bros.. pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 003.JPG pizza delivery   Antiochus l Theos coin 004.JPG bronze of Antiochus l Soter, helmeted Athena/ Dioscuri hats over club

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, sorry I missed this thread. But, this is a wonderful write-up @Mike Margolis , and great coins.

I have at least 25 coins featuring the Dioscuri... however, I will toss in a few different denominations for variety:

RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L.JPG
    Roman Republic - Pre-Darius Reform
    AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE
    37mm 55.28g
    Dioscuri R and L

@dougsmit 's favorite frivolous coin...
    upload_2018-10-12_15-13-3.png
    RR
    Anon 210 BCE
    AE 23 Quincunx 6.96g
    Apollo P behind
    Dioscuri
    Luceria 5 pellets
    Cr 99-4 Syd 309 Sear 910
    Very Rare

upload_2018-10-12_15-15-22.png
    RR
    Anon AR Quinarius 211-210 BCE
    Aplulian mint 16.5mm 2.1g
    Roma in Phrygian helmet
    Dioscuri Craw 102-2b
    RARE

upload_2018-10-12_15-17-10.png
    RR
    Anon after 211 BCE
    AR Quinarius 2.12g
    Helmeted hd Roma -
    Dioscuri riding
    Cr 68-2b was 44-6 RSC 3
    ex Clain-Stefanelli

upload_2018-10-12_15-18-13.png
    RR
    AR Sestertius
    After 211 BCE 12mm 1.0g Rome mint
    Roma r IIS -
    Dioscuri riding stars in ex ROMA
    Sear 46 Craw 44-7 RSC 4

Frolicking Dioscuri !
    RR Servilius 136 BCE Roma Dioscuri galloping S 116 Cr 239-1.jpg
    RR
    AR Denarius
    Servilius 136 BCE
    Roma
    Dioscuri galloping
    S 116 Cr 239-1

Baktria Greco-Baktrian Kingdom Eukratides I Megas 170-145 BCE Dioscuri AE Quadruple Unit.JPG
    Baktria
    Greco-Baktrian Kingdom
    Eukratides I Megas
    170-145 BCE
    Dioscuri
    AE Quadruple Unit

RI Maxentius 306-312 CE AE Folles Dioscuri holding their horses She-Wolf.jpg
    RI
    Maxentius 306-312 CE
    AE Folles
    Dioscuri holding their horses She-Wolf

Bing, ominus1, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted