DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA •

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one just arrived in the mail from the latest Leu web auction. When I purchased it, I noticed that Mattingly* notes a dot after the obverse inscription on several bronzes (sestertii and asses) in the British Museum from this issue. On one coin, a dot also appears after AVGVSTA (BMCRE 1428). The purpose of this dot is unknown and it is not uniformly present, even on coins of the same type. I have a dupondius and an as of this issue with the same reverse design, but neither of them have a dot after the obverse inscription.

Any thoughts? Please feel free to post anything relevant.

Faustina Sr AETERNITAS Providentia globe and scepter Sestertius veiled bust.jpg
    Faustina I, AD 138-140.
    Roman orichalcum sestertius, 26.91 g, 32.3 mm, 7 h.
    Rome, AD 140.
    Obv: DIVA AVGVSTA FAVSTINA •, veiled and draped bust, right.
    Rev: AETERNITAS S C, Providentia standing front, head left, holding globe and scepter.
    Refs: RIC 1108b; BMCRE 1421; Cohen --; Strack 1230; RCV --; Dinsdale 018190.

The dot after the obverse inscription is interesting. It's present also on the "mirror image" reverse type in the British Museum (BMCRE 1418):

[​IMG]

And also on the Dinsdale plate coin (Numismatica Ars Classica, May 2007).

010102.jpg

Moreover, the BMC version of my coin has the legend broken as DIVA AVGVS-TA FAVSTINA but still has a dot.

[​IMG]

However, the dot is not present in two of the three examples of my coin at Wildwinds.

*Mattingly, Harold, Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum, vol. IV: Antoninus Pius to Commodus. Introduction, indexes and plates. London, BMP, 1968.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin, terrific pick up. I notice that my Faustina Sestertius may have a dot also. 2015-01-07 01.07.50-18.jpg

thejewk, Bing, Gary R. Wilson and 3 others like this.
  4. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

I hope this isn't too off-topic - not Faustina, but Hadrian. I recently got this sestertius and noticed it had what might be a dot after HADRIANVS on the obverse. A fairly common sestertius, but I didn't come across any others with the dot.

Hadrian - Sest. Felicitas ex-Lit Feb 2020 (0).jpg

Hadrian Æ Sestertius
    (134-138 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

[HA]DRIANVS • A[VG COS III P P], laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder / FELI[CITAS AVG], SC, Felicitas standing facing holding branch and caduceus.
    RIC 750e (var.? • obv. legend)
    (25.50 grams / 30 mm)

Hadrian - Sest. Felicitas ex-Lit Feb 2020 (0det).jpg

Bing, Roman Collector and thejewk like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's interesting and it looks purposeful, though, of course, it could be a chip in the die. The British Museum has four examples of RIC 750 (various bust types and such) but none of them have a dot in the obverse inscription, though.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted