District Currency Collectors Group

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I have quickly grown to love those notes with the numeral in the seal.

Great notes and no hurry as to posting the others.
    As I keep saying to myself this is not a race, this is not a race, this is not a race lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Duke.. you are right. it is not a race..however, there is an ever increasing pressure to get them when you find them, because so many folks are hunting them down. With population reports with minimal examples graded (in some cases) , I can see future high prices awaiting and rewarding the prudent folks who seek these out and hold. It sort of like Microsoft's Stock back in the early days...a $300 Numeral today may cost you 2x to 3x that in years to come...with design changes and minimal examples available the stage is set for a small size explosion.

RickieB

4. Duke Kavanaugh

I was thinking the same thing but am hoping it is a year or two away still :D

5. krispy

krispy krispy

Two CHCU STL Stars - H

F-1900H* $1 Series 1963 Granahan | Dillon
    [​IMG]

F-1925H* $1 Series 1999 Withrow | Summers
    [​IMG]

6. RickieB

Nice pick up's Krispy...2 down with a stroke of a pen or a swipe of the good plastic card. Beautiful St. Louis Notes.

RickieB

7. Duke Kavanaugh

Ah good start Krispy...and your pictures are better too.
    I'm gonna have to work on those pict's for sure.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks guys!

Scan at 300 dpi, scale image to 1600 pixels wide and upload to Photobucket, then copy the image URL here.

9. Duke Kavanaugh

Thanks for the heads up Krispy

I've not tried to scan one yet but if that's what you guys are doing it works much better :D

10. krispy

krispy krispy

A few more STL Fed District pick ups

F-1907H $1 1969D Banuelos | Shultz -- I like the sinnin' SN! ;)
    [​IMG]

F-1926H* $1 2001 Marin | O'Neill
    [​IMG]

F-2037H* $10 2003 Marin | Snow
    [​IMG]

F-2084H $20 1996 Withrow | Rubin
    No scan on this one, it's raw and came from the bank. I'd conservatively give it a low AU as it had a dog ear on one corner and has that black ink they mark the edge of a strap with. This note will be a place holder for now as there are buh-gillions of them printed.

11. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

Those are beauties Krispy, you're moving right along on this, great job.

12. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks! I was surprised I was able to find notes in such high grades that didn't feel obscenely expensive as I start off down this road.

13. Duke Kavanaugh

Nice finds Krispy...
    Starting with $10's and $20's eh...and all PCGS too. Was that by design?
    I was wondering when you were going to start posting some.

14. Duke Kavanaugh

Question: I'm using 2 books that are a few years old and am thinking of ordering a new one but I read that Hesslers book is getting close to a update what about the others...
    Is it worth waiting (if so does anyone know when) for the newer version?

Updates when?

Small Size US Paper Money Edition 9
    Compreshesive Catalog of US Paper Money by Hessler/Chambliss

15. krispy

krispy krispy

Thanks Duke. I'm not really starting with any particular denomination. Rather, I'm looking for what I can afford as I search without going overboard with spending so when I see something really nice that's also graded or pluck something raw from a bank pick up to fill holes I'm all over it. By design, I'd say I have considered both ChCU and graded, be they PMG or PCGS and will try to avoid other TPGs. For graded notes I will shoot for the highest grades I can get but will avoid anything below AU 55/58 grades-- note: this applies to the $1-$20 range I am working on, larger denominations may require me to accept lower grades once I get up there. Also, by design, anything I can find in ChCU that fills a hole and that's not obscenely overpriced will stand to fill a hole in my district checklist. Then, as I am able to bring in graded notes to replace them, I will probably try to refined my collection to contain graded examples. Based on how long this collection may take to build, perhaps holding those raw notes now will pay off as I try to move to mostly graded notes down the road. Trade in to get nicer notes or graded examples, or simply get raw notes I pick up now graded myself later when I know paper well enough to estimate the grades they'll come back.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Depends on what information you seek in the books I suppose. I never use books as a price guide so I personally do not feel the need to have updated books that often. Printages are easily found online it seems so that info isn't important in books for me too often either. For books I use the cataloging F#s most. I also look for good descriptive and historical info on the notes and their runs. I look for books that describe design changes and prefer color reproductions of notes. If a book is heavy on these things, then I'll scoop it up, like that, Whitman Encyclopedia of US Paper Money, this one is next on my book list. :smile

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

6 is my unlucky number, so...
    Put me down for Dallas (K) $1-$20 not sure about the stars yet. Was thinking about Ohio as it is closest to me, but notes with my last name initial will be sweet. It's gonna be slow and steady...well, maybe not steady, but definately slow.
    5 districts left

18. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

Welcome aboard Noost. My sentiments exactly. Have fun!

19. Duke Kavanaugh

This almost fits my plan to a Tee!!
    I'm trying to also not have to upgrade too much and I am picking up mulitples if they are cheap enough ones.

20. RickieB

Excellent additions my friend...

Welcome Noost.. so Dallas it is.

RickieB

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Well here's my new low s/n $20!!

I think you'll all like it :D

And thank you Ricky

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted