Displaying coins, and archiving a few or many coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Apr 19, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

This is "coin chat" I could not post on the "albums" link, so here it is. I recently saw where someone asked about a more rigid page for coin albums. The "plastic" pages were and are too limp. I agree. I use the black BCW slotted pages, which are made of very heavy cardboard, they are about 8 3/4" x 11 1/4 ". On each page there are 12 slots for 2x2's. Both sides of the 2x2 are visible, and the pages can each be removed and held etc.. The pages have holes for standard 3 ring binders. They are quite durable and sturdy. They are of archival quality and are acid free and PVC free. I have hundreds of coins thus stored. They make a wonderful way to view and study your collection. Coins can be removed (but are not loose, they do NOT fall out of the slots.).
    I have a 3 ring binder for each of numerous countries (like Asia, Europe, etc..). The pages are not expensive. At the moment with 50 pages I can easily hold 600 coins, and find each one quickly. I also insert between each page -- a 8 1/2 x 11 inch plastic sheet protector (which are also PVC and acid free). In the sheet protectors I can insert printed or typed pages of written material ( I can also insert currency in the sheet protectors! they are AVERY brand). I can comment on each of the coins which are on the facing page, or write about each coins history etc.. Thus each binder becomes a compact visual library of written information, highlighted by actual coin examples. Page by page. I have 3 ring binders, which are closed with a zipper, and have handles for carrying. Thus I can carry several hundred coins to a meeting quite easily, like a small brief case. Most of my coins are however, in ordinary 3 ring binders, without zippers. I use good quality 2x2's the standard white cardboard ones -- (with the embossed crown). I like the adhesive type, which I also add staples to. Each fit in the slots quite well. Each 2x2 slot has thumb-cut slots for the little tabs on the 2x2's. What more can you ask for?? To label (if one wants to) I use a DYMO - Letratag, available at Walmart etc.. Finally, just keep the pages dry (out of the rain) and they will last and last. (I do not recommend them for use at coin shows where many buyers handle the products, there the plastic pages serve better).
    I would never use the floppy old plastic type album pages again. The BCW cardboard (black) pages are unbeatable! really. I am not a salesman, just a happy user sharing a wonderful and inexpensive way to store, protect, organize and view a few or many coins!! Most on-line coin stores carry the BCW product. They are called/named: BCW 2x2 SLOTTED PAPER PAGE. They come in packs of 10, or larger packs. At only about a dollar per page, it is a bargain. They are each punched with 5 holes to fit certain other binders as well. Check it out. I hope this proves to be helpful, and that my presentation is clear and understandable.
    Gary

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted