Dismissive seller won't second guess his fake offerings

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ToughCOINS, Dec 5, 2021.

1. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I pointed out to eBay seller that the coins at both links below are not genuine, to which he essentially told me to mind my own business.

I can understand how an inexperienced seller might be fooled by the coins in the first offering, but certainly not the second. Especially after he informed me that he's not inexperienced, and has been selling gold coins on eBay for 5 years with no negative feedback (like that means a lot!).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265434869757?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=96ad02d394a7479c88baed4536e863b5&bu=43178638503&osub=-1~1&crd=20211205102810&segname=11051&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265437800875?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=e3af78be53de4eb79d29b0c662f4d439&bu=43178638503&osub=-1~1&crd=20211205100250&segname=11051&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He has been reported to eBay (twice now), but his listings remain up. Anyone else feel like helping out?

NSP, GH#75, Inspector43 and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

That '51 is a joke. I wrote to the seller then Ebay surveyed me about the contact seller function. When asked why I was contacting the seller I selected other and wrote in item listed is a counterfeit. No response from either party yet.

NSP, Evan Saltis and Inspector43 like this.
  4. Dynoking

The 1851 listing has been removed!

NSP, tommyc03 and spirityoda like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Yeah, for sure the 1851 was a joke and actually hilarious.

LakeEffect and Dynoking like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

What I find hilarious is the seller's insistence that anyone questioning the authenticity should not prompt even the slightest inclination to re-evaluate the coin . . .

. . . unless, of course, he already knows the answer.

7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sometimes you feel like you are punching a rock, you just can't win. I've been in similar situations on Listia. Trying to correct someone in their listing and only trying to help can elicit some pretty harsh responses. I keep on keepin' on though. Some do get it.

8. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

The listing on the $2.5 was ended by the seller "because there was an error in the listing" d'oh

Jack D. Young and Dynoking like this.
  9. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

Now I'm not well versed in gold issues, but that 1851 had me laughing. It looks absurd.

Dynoking likes this.
  10. ToughCOINS

And concerning the other lot, both two Indians have tooling marks at the back of the neck and the 1915 has extruded rim to the right, uncharacteristic of the date.

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I think the seller knows but also knows he can't sell fake coins on ebay. He probably thought nobody would notice.

12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The schnozzola on the 1851 1/4 Eagle might have originally belonged to Jimmy Durante.

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

What is that junk attached to those coins? Are we looking at necktie tacks?

14. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Seems like it's intended to be pinned to clothes or whatever.

15. Dynoking

I finally found one bigger than mine!

manny9655 likes this.
  16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

So long as it’s made of gold, the first item does not matter. Even if the coins are genuine, they have been wrecked so badly by jewelry use that they are worth the scrap value, not even melt.

The “1851” is so bad that it’s funny, at least to a collector who knows anything about the genuine item. Unfortunately some people, who know nothing, would be fooled.

Believe it or not, the president of the first coin club I joined was buying worse counterfeits than this from the club treasurer. The “gold dollars” were so bad that they looked like the “California fractional gold pieces” that Woolworth was selling for $2 in the 1960s. They were crude castings that even had the mold stems hanging off them. The treasurer was charging the president $75 apiece for these things, which was the retail price for Uncirculated Type I Gold Dollars at the time, the early 1970s.

Needless to say, I was not a popular guy with club treasurer after I told the president about what he was buying.

Dynoking likes this.
  17. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Has a 1914 listed now:

1914.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted