Discussion Topic- Why are Carr "Fantasy Overstrikes" not considered Counterfeits?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jack D. Young, May 6, 2022.

1. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I’m one of only 4 to have won a custody case representing the father in my county. Took it to trial and it was the Jerry Springer show. The Judge hated me and opposing counsel was his golf buddy and a complete criminal. He charged 10K, I charged 2K. The Judge sent his bailiff over during a break to let me know it was Friday…and if I went in today, I wouldn’t get out till Monday.

charley likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charley

charley Well-Known Member

That is great...what we don't know...is Legion.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Most don't care what Carr does anymore. Some important folks in the hobby used to speak out against some of his work but I don't hear much of that anymore. Too many hard feelings and it was bad for business.
    On the forums you would get bashed for saying anything bad about Carr's work. Today, few will give honest answers or even talk about it.

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's souvenir crap.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Realistically the major argument is just I dont like them. The ANA already said hes fine and while I dont believe the ANA to be relevant anymore most people that have an issue with him do highly respect the ANA. As I said before I lost interest in his stuff for other reasons, but I dont have to want something to understand its fine. Once the ANA said it was fine it was game over, pretty much any lawyer can win a case with that.

ANACS grades it all, PCGS grades some, NGC grades some, the numbers are minuscule overall. It's simply not an issue and we live in 2022 not 1950, it takes only a couple of seconds to look up a date and mint mark for a coin on a phone if someone is unsure if it exists.

The what if this happens arguments simply dont have much merit. We already have warnings not to dry your hair while showering from such arguments, whats next guns that say dont shoot yourself in the face or knives saying not to stab yourself?

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    TopcatCoin likes this.
  8. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Entertaining discussion; I assume my 1796 large cent struck over an 1843 genuine petite large cent is still counterfeit after all of this, correct:D?

obv and CAD comp.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Don't forget about hot coffee.....

10. baseball21

If you're referring to the McDonalds one that actually was legit. They were keeping it at insanely high tempatures that caused skin graphs and the lawsuit only happened because they declined to pay the medical bill costing them millions in the long run

11. Dave Waterstraat

12. baseball21

Bad example there, that was justified

13. Dave Waterstraat

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Your link is close enough. And the HPA is precisely the issue and the applicable law. As for the legitimate coins vs silver blanks - it's immaterial because a planchet is still a planchet regardless of who made it.

And if it ever went to court, I believe the finding would be the same as it was with Westminster Mint and for the very same reasons.

If you or anyone else want to believe differently, you can, but I don't think the courts would.

15. charley

That is disingenuous of you.

It is not similar in any manner to what you previously stated. It certainly is not 'close enough'. You are simply deliberately misdirecting the reader in an attempt to convince the audience you were (are)correct, via your previous post

There was no settled Law. There was and is not any "finding", save that the Defendant request for Dismissal was denied. The Proceeding ended in a Settlement between the Plaintiffs and the Defendants. There was no FTC vs. Anybody.

What precise issue; that there is an HPA Law? What part of applicable HPA applies, then, as a matter of Law? Why exactly is a planchet immaterial? That does not make any sense at all.

Your belief of what would occur if you proceeded to a proper venue is not in any manner to be confused with your prior statements, and if your attorney proceeded with your case on the basis of the Westminster 'finding', my advice would be Better Call Saul, since there was no 'finding', and no 'same reasons' to plead to the the Court.

It is not a matter of different beliefs, it is a matter of no precedent, to predict what the courts would or would not do. Of note, this was a District Court Proceeding. There would be a heck of a lot more steps to go, to reach your 'facts'.

TopcatCoin likes this.
  16. charley

Truth in editing: changed 'defendant' to 'defendants'.

17. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

I find these fantasy overstrikes to be a good way to get to see and hold something I never could otherwise.

I don’t want to pay what a 1921 Peace Dollar would cost with a sharp strike showing the high relief. But this non-coin satisfies me just fine.

It isn’t a coin, does not correspond to any existing coin, and is not disfigured by an ugly “COPY” stamped into the design. I would think the use of non-standard design elements is a much classier, but absolutely sufficient, replacement for the COPY stamp. It’s no more a counterfeit than any other silver round with a design on it.

S$1 1921 Carr full 01.gif

expat, ZoidMeister, MIGuy and 3 others like this.
  18. charley

Don't forget the Roman Numerals...

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am usually the proponent to having a DC restrike. Have you ever heard of a Bashlow/albiet that they were struck from severely deteriorated dies. We accept those for what they are, What is the problem with having a modern fantasy?

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Most of @dcarr's restrikes look like this.
    upload_2022-5-10_21-28-54.jpeg
    upload_2022-5-10_21-29-25.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted