Discussion of old storage supplies.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 22, 2012.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

It might be fun to collect defunct coin holders if there
    are enough of them and source for them. How many
    defunct holders got chucked when the coin was
    put into a soft flip to get slabbed? You could even get
    product names from old issues of Numismatic Scrapbook
    since they were mostly ads anyway.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far...but I would like to know when cardboard 2x2s 1st came out.

A lot of the holders were thrown away after so long. They can fall apart over the years.

4. longnine009

I believe the mylar 2x2's were preceded by something
    called Kodar.

5. longnine009

I was thinking about the plastic holders.

6. Detecto92

Sure your not thinking about the old school photo slides made by kodak?
    [​IMG]

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

David Lange of NGC has quite a collection of the coin boards from the 30's & 40's. I believe he wrote a book about them.

Chris

8. Detecto92

I've seen them before, they are kind of cool. I've heard somewhere that the maker of one of the boards actually put on their to clean the coins with vinegar.

9. longnine009

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pretty much when I said they did. Mylar was not invented until 1952 so it stands to reason that it took a while before its use was adopted for coin storage.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't know about vinegar, but I have seen some that advise cleaning them with a pencil eraser before putting them in the board.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Numismatic Scrapbook. I have a few copies at had and I did some checking. In a 1945 issue they are selling 2X2 paper envelopes, one seller has some with a cellophane window, but apparently just on one side. A 1949 issue is also mostly 2X2 paper envelopes. There is one seller of a 2X2 holder which is a card you put the coin in which then slides into a 2X2 outer holder with acetate windows. I've flipped through bound volumes of the 1957 and 58 issues and found nothing, but most of the ads were removed from those before binding. I'll have to wait until I have a chance to go through my unbound copies. Maybe check as see what I can find in the old back issues of The Numismatist as well.

Oh and that two piece holder I mentioned with the acetate windows. They were called Hollander holders and the windows were tradenamed "Kodapak". That may be what longnine was thinking of.

12. longnine009

I think it was in a 60's issue of Numismatic
    Scrapbook that I saw an ad for "Grading Cards."
    NS was cool magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted