Discussion of old storage supplies.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

American coin collectors have been around since the 1880s. Well probably longer than that, but I think the 1880s is when coin collecting became popular in america. Correct if wrong.

Anyway, so we have a ton of coin collecting supplies at are disposal. Flips, tubes, air tites, 2x2s, etc.

All of the above is made out of plastic, which did not really become existent until the 30s.

So what did the old time collectors store their coins in?

Also I'm trying to find out when 2x2 holders 1st became available.

I believe the 1st ones had square windows, maybe Doug would know? :p

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Probably not in any kind of holder.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've seen photos of coin cabinets that dated to the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Most of those I've seen had shallow drawers lined with some type of cloth and the coins were usually laid in each drawer. In some cases, the cabinetmaker would make a wooden grid to provide separate compartments. In other instances, the cabinetmaker would even go so far as making circular cut-outs to lay in the bottom of each drawer and then these would be covered with cloth.

Chris

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Coin cabinets (as cpm9ball stated), cigar and cigarette boxes, milk and cream bottles, aspirin tins (the small flat kind that held something like 20 aspirins), small cash boxes (mainly in the 20's and 30's) etc. etc..

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

The window 2x2's were around in the 60's so it had to be before that. My guess would be the 50's.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Kraft paper coin envelopes were quite common because if the paymaster gave cash rather than checks, the odd change went into a change envelope. They were easily available in staionery stores, so collectors put coins in them and labeled the outside. Many gave us currently collecting, wonderful toned coins.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This was on Ebay years ago.

[​IMG]

9. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Leather pouches were also a good way to store the coins you didn't spend every day. I have one that was used by a great grandparent.

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Same, I have my 2x great grandfathers. I used it even as part of my user profile pic for here. Hard to see since its size had to be chopped :(

http://www.cointalk.com/member.php?u=21445

11. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

I would guess that coins were stored in cans and chests. The rich collectors probably had the cabinets. Although, back in 1880, I doubt there were very many expensive coins out there from the U.S. Bust dollars probably only cost a couple bucks.

12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Well according the movies I watch, they are stored in leather pouches hung around the belt. :D

Probably wooden cigar boxes though. In Asian cultures from the past, many were stored in tin metal boxes. These were usually buried somewhere in the house underneath a floorboard.

13. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

coin collecting was common in the United Stated long before the 1880's. Our sixth President, John Quincy Adams was a collector of ancient coins. He died in 1848. those who have the money to spend on them have always collected coins, "the hobby of kings"

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You've kind of gotten your answers. Coin cabinets were used for centuries. And for centuries the only people who even collected coins were the Nobility and Royalty, which is where the hobby got its name. Though many are not aware of it, coin collecting was well established long before America was ever even discovered. A book on coin collecting was one of the earliest books ever printed on the printing press invented by Gutenberg. Prior to that they were all written out by hand of course. But the point is, that books on coin collecting even existed that long ago. And that they were important enough to be written at all.

Anyway, coin cabinets were about all there was until sometime in the 1800's, other than the odd containers have been mentioned. But it was in the 1800's that paper envelopes were invented and eventually somebody got around to making them small enough to be used to store individual coins. Paper coin rolls came around in the late 1800's or early 1900's - the exact time is debatable. In the late 1930's the first coin folders were invented. They were largely responsible for the explosion of coin collectors in the US. That is when the hobby really took off.

Yes, there were times when there were increases in the number of coin collectors prior to that, notably around 1858 when Proof coins began to be made and issued on a regular basis and made available to the public. And if I recall correctly there was another increase of popularity in the 1880's and another around 1910 or so. But it was in the late '30s when the popularity exploded. And at that time paper envelopes and coin folders were about all there were for coin storage.

I cannot give you an exact date range, but I believe it was in the late '50s that coin flips were invented, might have been the early '60s though. Probably around the same time 2x2s came along. I can tell you that well into the '70s coin folders/albums and paper envelopes were far and away the most popular storage methods. And as time and technology went on plastic, and its benefits began to make its inroads. The US Mint issued its first hard plastic coin holders in 1968. And that was really the beginning of modern coin holders.

But even today, we still do not have a coin holder of any kind that is airtight and that by itself can prevent a coin from toning. But what we have today if a far, far, cry better that what was available when I first started collecting coins.

15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Its been said Roman Emperor Augustus collected coins.

16. roll searcher

roll searcher coin hunter

Were any of these famous people's collections found? I bet people would pay big bucks to know that the coin they have was owned by John Quincy Adams.

17. GDJMSP

There are many people of note that collected coins throughout history. Louis XIIII had the largest coin collection there was in the world. Much of it is still intact even. But that one is an exception.

Most collections like that get broken up over the years and the provenance of the coins is not maintained. A member of this forum may own one of the coins that was once in the Adams collection - and not even know it.

18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Some ancient collectors here have a coin or two from his collection. You can see some sold ones at:
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=1847

Dougsmit has one discussed on his page: http://dougsmith.ancients.info/feac34jqa.html

Most of the ancient I have seen from the JQA have been in pretty ugly shape. Im sure there was a few that may be high end but from just the almost 4 years I have collected ancients the JQA coins havent impressed me.

Edit to add some better ones:
    http://www.cngcoins.com/Search.aspx...R_TYPE_ID_2=1&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_4=1

19. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

I thought SMS sets first had hard plastic holders in 1966?

20. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

I have a coin from the John Quincy Adams collection. I will have to dig it out and take pics. It was not bought for the the value of the coin but rather for the fact that he and I share common ancestors making us cousins. I also live less than a mile from where he lived.

21. GDJMSP

You're right, they did. I was thinking of Proof sets and that was '68.

Draft saved Draft deleted