Discovery DDO Error Process Report. (Results)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by britannia40, Sep 9, 2018.

1. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

About a year and a half ago I stumbled onto a Doubled Die Obverse (DDO) 2010 Iron Age/Works British 2 pound coin. I could not find any other reported and searched TPG’s with no results. I accumulated 11 of these DDO’s as a few I found and a few came for sale (in the UK) after I obtained mine. The doubling is in the outer rim and also the three initials under the bust portrait and slightly at the portrait outline.

(6 still ungraded)
    IMG_20180909_142955.jpg IMG_20180909_143014.jpg
    I sent 3 to PCGS to get them listed and 1 to NGC. I asked about the discovery annotation as they had no others reported. Upon calling both they said that was mainly for US coins and up to the grader to assign the discovery label.

(4 graded)
    IMG_20180909_142846.jpg
    An esteemed member here at the beginning of the year requested I send one of the coins to ICG as they would assigned a discovery label and grade the coin. I did that and they held the coin for some time as they wanted to report it to coinworld etc. They recently sent the coin back to me with the label.

(ICG submission)
    DD1.jpg DD2.jpg DD3.jpg

I had prior contacted the British Royal mint and talked with their staff. The referred me to the Royal Mint Museum who handles their error coins. After providing them HD pictures of the coins they stated it appeared to be die chatter based on the photos.
    die chatter.png
    They further stated I could send in a coin for in hand review and would get a findings report in a few months. Die Chatter is what they refer to as machine doubling (MD).
    I decided to send one coin to them as I had several and believed they would return it. I then sent the coin back with their own report and stood by their Die Chatter as you can see from the final report. (in error they put 50 pence instead of 2 pound)

(the coin I sent to them)
    IMG_20180909_142502.jpg IMG_20180909_142509.jpg
    IMG_20180909_142315.jpg
    After talking to several British coin business’s and collectors they stated that errors were only recently becoming big across the pond and that the Royal Mint is terribly beat up concerning errors so it was very likely even based with hard evidence they would change their opinion.

Anyway I figured I would share the results of the Royal Mint and ICG as I was asked.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

those are super cool. I like the doubling. awesome. anymore of those on the market ?

britannia40 likes this.
  4. britannia40

My guess would be that a few hundred escaped and there are probably more available and being found.

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I don’t care who attributes what to that doubling, it’s very cool. I’ve noticed error coins are at times seen as blemishes to the queen, crown, land, etc. as such, they’re not as accepted or desired the way they are in the US. Thanks for your diligence and for sharing. You have us error collectors drooling.

spirityoda, alurid and britannia40 like this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

furryfrog02 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I wonder which part of the this two parted coin, graded AU ..

8. britannia40

thanks for the feedback. I really loved this one

Spark1951 and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

It must be hard minting coins that have the image of a living person on them,
    especially when said minting is deemed to effect that persons Public Image.

britannia40 and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting.. Thanks for sharing!

britannia40 likes this.
  11. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Thats a great doubled die! Quite obvious the royal mint isnt using the single squeeze method.

Seattlite86 and britannia40 like this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Wow, that is a fantastic DDO. Extremely wide separation. On a US coin, that would be front page numismatic news.

And, cool story about your efforts to get this recognized.

Seattlite86 and britannia40 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I personally would love to own one of those. That is a great doubled die.

14. britannia40

Thanks guys I have always loved major errors and my coin collecting started in 2001 from one of those. I think DDO/DDR are my favorites among errors more of the 1955 Cent type and not the I need a microscope to see it.

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This would make an interesting story in World Coin News, both the discovery and the Royal Mint's opinion.

16. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

That's a nice one and definitely NOT the result of "die chatter." It's is a true hub-doubled doubled die. Congratulations! You may want to send a specimen to CONECA for inclusion in their publication "The Errorscope." Contact them at http://varietyvista.com/

This may help you to get another slabbing service to slab it as a discovery coin although I think ICG is fine.

britannia40 likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Plaudits to ICG... do you think @Insider might have graded that one :)

britannia40 likes this.
  18. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Die chatter my hiney! Beautiful DDO. Thanks for sharing.

britannia40 likes this.
  19. britannia40

He was the one that helped me get it sent to ICG. I'm very grateful for his help.

I will do that thanks.

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

@britannia40 You're a good influence on me. I just went and bought this doubled die coin 2003 India 2 Rupees off Ebay...sellers pics...

India 2A.jpg
    India 2B.jpg

Doubled Die Mania. see what you started ? thank you. :cool::cat::cat::cat:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  21. britannia40

Actually I like that one it looks nice. Im glad im making you get happy purchases.

this is my second favorite Doubled Die I have. I got this in a group from heritage.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Seattlite86 and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted