Discoveries of advanced pre-flood civiliztions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 6, 2020.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'm reminded of a webcomic where a main character has had a great deal of her personal technology taken away. She's in the desert with a few others, and one makes a comment about the risk of sunburn. She concentrates for a moment, and her skin turns dark. The other character raises an eyebrow; the color-changer says "I lost my nanotech, I'm not baseline."

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

If they had money, probably it would have been gold/ silver/electrum. Good news, gold stays intact/ does not corrode/ oxidize. So if some where buried/ underwater for thousands of years, we could one day find evidence. We certainly regressed in monetary standards/ now our monetary policy is based on printing paper currencies with no gold backup/ hence Countries like the US are 26 Trillion in debt. Credit cards also contribute to personal indebteness with 18-24% loan shark interest rates. Fantasy money like bitcoin=lunacy.

svessien likes this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It wouldn't have to be metals at all, many cultures used seashells, important seeds, hallucinogenic plants, animal skins, spear points, etc. Like metals, if enough believe they are valuable, then they are a means of exchange.

Hookman, Kentucky, 7Calbrey and 2 others like this.
  5. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Good one. But I look at it similar to nuclear weapons—a potential species ender. But there are interesting arguments about equal access to such technologies.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The days of genetic engineering, enhancing our brains with AI, and trying to defeat aging are here. I can't tell you how many well-heeled folks in Silicon Valley are trying for immortality through novel cures. The bold predictions say that if you're alive at age 50 you will live to be at least 120-200. So far no cures though but a lot of money is being pumped into research. That, and AI initiatives to upload the brain and thereby achieve immortality with a robotic body. Me, I'd rather spend money buying coins...

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ask our friends from Frolix 8

Orfew likes this.
  8. Kentucky

why?

Orfew likes this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Gold/ Silver where always considered money, even before coins, they had "talents" or weights ie: gold/ silver bars/ jewellery/ adornments...:) Today we add Platinum/ Paladium which is on FIRE!

10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

"Always" is a little too unspecific for me. Please give me a citation for what you are claiming.Alternatively you could post a bibliography of sources to support this remarkable claim.

TIF, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  11. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Still, it is kind of difficult to go buy a loaf of bread with gold. Need some silver or copper to make change?

As for the claim of silver or gold being always considered money, I have no trouble accepting that at face value. Humans have always prized those shiny metals.

panzerman and 7Calbrey like this.
  12. coin_nut

I guess everyone talking off the top of their heads in this thread is fun, however if you really want to learn about "pre flood" civilizations, then the book I recommended should be read. The author is not considered to be any sort of a crackpot. I saw him on the history channel once. Plus his stuff is on the internet, so it must be true.

panzerman and 7Calbrey like this.
  13. -jeffB

You owe me a keyboard.

fomovore, TIF, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  14. -jeffB

And yet somehow, even after ending the last vestiges of the gold standard in the 1970s, we managed to increase the speed and power of electronic computers by somewhere between a million and a billion times, create the Internet, establish a cellular infrastructure that puts a hundred thousand libraries worth of information in your pocket...

I'm not convinced that "advanced civilizations would of course use PMs for money".

15. coin_nut

16. Kentucky

No more than Erich von Däniken.

Paul M., DonnaML and Orfew like this.
  17. Kentucky

[​IMG]

mcwyler, Ryro and Paul M. like this.
  18. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Unfortunately the neurons , especially in the cognitive pathways we think of as "Me" are not just on or off in function as it has "sometimes" circuits ," it depends", and many other adjusting types of interactions. Some have suggested the only way to do a joining , is to transplant the human brain to a mechanical or semi-organic host with a large scale quantum computer that can monitor and adjust necessary needs and eliminate any defective cells or materials ( breakdown products). I rather doubt this direction unless tremendous breakthroughs in QC. Besides as Asimov always tended to say " Is a human brain function in a machine enough to consider it legally a human ? " or is it like any other organ transplant.

Here is an article and Q& A on quantum computers and if you comprehend past the green orbit with XXX on it , you beat me.
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-current-state-of-quantum-computers

:( Jim

19. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

This article in Scientific American may clear up some of the wild claims made in this thread. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/no-there-wasnt-an-advanced-civilization-12-000-years-ago/

And Graham Hancock is indeed a 'crackpot'. https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/defant-analysis-of-hancock-claims-in-magicians-of-the-gods/

Also, the term Antediluvian ('pre-flood') has more to do with religion than modern evidence based science.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  20. -jeffB

David Atherton likes this.
  21. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I think the main problem with these "consciousness uploading" initiatives is that they are based on a false anthropology.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted