Discoveries of advanced pre-flood civiliztions

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Mar 6, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I disagreed with Rob concerning his opinion on modern academia and was personally attacked and accused of being part of wild conspiracy against him. I've stopped any further dialogue, I suggest you do the same.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Parthicus Maximus and Orfew like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. David Atherton

Bad Archaeology has a nice write-up about Barry Fell and his misguided theories.

http://www.badarchaeology.com/controversies/barry-fell/

The website is also an informative answer to a lot of the junk archaeology that is still being peddled today.

Orfew and Kentucky like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thanks, I'll consider that a compulsory read.

David Atherton likes this.
  5. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Here is a generalisation you can take to the bank Steve. I try always to put my case robustly, citing facts logically. I encourage people to reply in the same way. I try never to rely upon rhetorically driven ad hominem, but will certainly loudly call out those who use such underhand tactics against me. I consider it a pollution of civilised behaviour.

In acting according to these principles, I do exactly the same as my father did, and he left school at the age of 13.

When I find, as I have on this thread, that most if not all of the criticism I have received is just unsubstantiated rhetorically driven ad hominem, I start to wonder – what has gone wrong with modern life? Perhaps the extra five or ten years people now spend in the education system is doing more harm than good? A general decline in civilised behaviour? Its an interesting hypothesis that I will continue to test.

@DonnaML I recommend you retract your slur about ‘eyes glazing over’ and we move on.

And some specific advice Steve. When making false statements - its a good idea not to use block capitals to shout them. People who do not care about the facts at all will be impressed by it. But do you want to encourage such behaviour? I would hope not.

Rob T

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  6. EWC3

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

TSE

7. EWC3

Steve

I discover I misread a mail some time back

So I retract my previous comment, and apologise for that hasty and incorrect reading

sincerely

Rob T

8. David Atherton

I believe I may have earlier posted a link to an article on the SPLC website concerning the racism behind ancient aliens and fabled long lost civilisations. Not wishing it to be lost ...

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/01/02/close-encounters-racist-kind

Nice to see Jason Colavito's work on the subject bearing fruit. Here's his website.

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/

The battle against pseudoarchaeology is so very important because the wrong-headed ideas upon which much of it is based could be co-opted by less than scrupulous folks for nefarious purposes.

9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Wow. The Zaitchik article was eye-opening for me. Guess I haven't been "around" the crowd that believes that drivel. Hadn't even heard the word Solutrean before.

When/if the $20 Tubman/Jackson issue is raised again on the national stage I know what side I'll be on.

Steve

10. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Seen lots of complaints and hurt feelings but still aint seen any goddamn evidence-new or otherwise.

11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hence, we are Human (Sapiens). What does the vessel (body) matter, as long as it is Sentient?

12. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Well according to a National Geographic survey 77 percent of Americans believe that the planet was visited in the past by Extra-Terrestrials or Gods. You really can't say that that 77 percent of US population is cuckoo. In otherwords you have 23 percent that are sceptics. Most National Geographic/ Discovery/ History channels only present material that promotes the ET/ Gods version.

13. David Atherton

Magnus87, Volodya, Stevearino and 2 others like this.
  14. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

@David Atherton
    Thank you for that link, I was completely unaware of that myth and it's history/implications.
    It is insane to think that the Mountain building myth has been completely forgotten. The cliché saying of "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it", certainly holds true.

David Atherton likes this.
  15. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

Look they are burning down 5G towers in the UK cos they think it causes Covid 19 or make it worse. 77% of Americans are cuckoo and I wouldn't doubt the same in England. Despite more degrees being awarded than ever before, they mostly are extended essay writers, advanced plagiarists and intelligence is not needed, just doggedness.

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I had 40-some Engineers that worked within my Department, years ago. All were talented. We developed Fit-Form-Function Consumer Products, focused on everyday consumer needs. It required keen observation of true needs of people, and toss out your own bias. Critical thinking, viewing life through many frames of what people wanted or needed.

One of the Engineers really did well, actually growing through the ranks, and headed the Department for me. He held several patents (I shared several with him), and he did a wonderful job, helping launch very successful products into the marketplace. He also had a talent working with people to bring out the best in THEIR abilities. We focused on and redefined everyday products, not "fad" items.

He had a lot Horse-Sense. I asked him one day what his "degree" was. He was a little hesitant, but answered: High School Diploma.

It did not matter HOW he was educated, rather it mattered how he USED his education. His "papers" were real-life items that Humans used, successfully, on a daily basis. Proof-in-the-pudding was that folks would come back and buy the products again and again.

Stevearino likes this.
  17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Why not? At one time 100% of the people believed that diseases came from the Gods!

NewStyleKing and David Atherton like this.
  18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I want to give a shout-out to my late Father, Leon, who had only an eighth-grade education but had a great work ethic and common sense. During WWII he tested one of the top 3 out of a thousand in his regiment, learning how to use enough trigonometry for anti-aircraft artillery. He turned down the chance to go to OCS because he didn’t want to leave his buddies (and he saw how some of the 90-day wonders were disliked by enlisted soldiers). He was still doing daily crossword puzzles and beating me at pinochle when he died at 92.

Steve

19. EWC3

Hello Steve

Thanks for your generous response towards my error, and apologies again.

I would be interested to find what parts of the Zaitchik article you found compelling – it looked like a mish-mash of largely unrelated matters to me – just a skillful piece of journalism with very little actually relevant to this supposed “White Supremacy - Ancient Aliens movement”

Regarding the Solutrean idea, surely that is a perfectly respectable scientific hypothesis? I recall it was a subject of a BBC Horizon program back in 2002 details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2002/columbus.shtml

It may be wrong but its certainly not crazy and anyhow it has nothing whatsoever to do with Aliens.

And the inference that the BBC might be part of an Alt-Right plot is surely the funniest thing I came across all week.

Or take the way Zaitchik weaves David Ike into the mix. Personally I always thought Ike was playing some kind of extended joke with his “5th dimensional lizards”. The idea seems to me completely nuts. But Ike is adamant that “I'm not talking about one earth race, Jewish or non-Jewish. I'm talking about a genetic network that operates through all races”. So nope – not racist. I judge again Zaitchik is just leading folk by the nose - contrary to the evidence. The relationship of (some) Jews historically to international banking is a complicated matter which we can discuss if you wish. I suspect I know rather more about it than most folk. Also, its not at all clear that Ike is a whole hearted supporter of the the “Elders of Zion” hoax. We perhaps should remember that many have been, including Henry Ford. He paid for a new print run of it - to spread its ideas.

Then Zaitchik mentions Chouinard who clearly does seem to be some kind of reprehensible White Supremacist. But firstly, Chouinard seems to be a none entity. Put “Chouinard” into Google and this guy does not make the first 50 hits as far as I can see. And anyhow – he thinks these TV programs about aliens are a swindle! He thinks they are conspiring to hide the evidence of white supremacy!!!

I am afraid this Zaitchik seems to me just another skillful hoaxer. Not that different from Hancock really. Just that the yarns he spins are for a different crew of folk. Deluded leftist who have taken control of much of professional archaeology.

Anyhow, there is another delivery, of a load of facts, that some folk here seem too blind to see

Rob T

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  20. David Atherton

All I can say is it takes a special person to confuse facts and rail against an article posted on the SPLC all in one go.

The fact that Rob doesn't understand how the Solutrean hypothesis is corruptively used by the Alt Right is clue number one that he missed the point. And the fact that the BBC programme linked by R. in the next episode covers homeopathy should be another clue how dubious the hypothesis really is.

Archie Bunker used to refer to them as 'pinko commies'. At least there is modicum of evolution on that front.

Volodya likes this.
  21. David Atherton

And this from The Guardian concerning how misguided and racist the Solutrean hypothesis is.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...-peoples-in-the-americas-were-not-from-europe

For those wanting to know what the hullabaloo is about.

https://www.archaeologypodcastnetwork.com/pseudo/tag/solutrean

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Solutrean_hypothesis

Key phrase: 'The Solutrean hypothesis has won some following among white supremacist and other white racists such as Stormfront (which has various threads about this pseudoscience).' Ahem. You won't catch me legitimising such rubbish.

Volodya and Orfew like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted