disappointing NGC slab

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cncman, Jun 13, 2010.

1. cncman

cncman Senior Member

I have had my jefferson set for 15 years or more and was able to get some very nice coins when there really wasn't a premium for them, I looked at my set in detail dozens of times over the years and I realized that I had a rare FS well struck Jefferson, an 86P, which is very rare in FS. I spend a lot of time looking at several coins, looking for flaws and DDs and OMMs, and this one looked great, imagine my surprise when I got my images and it says UNC details REV scratched! The only thing I can see in the image is along the bottom edge, and it is hard to see from the pics what it really is and if that is what they are talking about. While I have a hard time believing the coin got scratched at NGC I also have a hard time believing I didn't see a scrach on a coin I have had for over 10 years and have looked at under the loupe several times, especially the reverse while looking at the steps. I guess I will know when the coin arrives, I guess it is possible that, if the scratch isn't very obvious I just missed it because of the location, but if it is prominent I think I would have seen it. I will post up when I get it, anyways, look at the rest of the coin, it is a very rare good strike for this year and mint.

Attached Files:

• 861.JPG
      861.JPG
      File size:
      90.1 KB
      Views:
    • 862.JPG
      862.JPG
      File size:
      112.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's really too bad! Out of curiosity, do you have hi-res photos of the coin before it was submitted to NGC? If you can prove that the coin was undamaged when it was sent to them, you might be able to get compensation.

Chris

4. cncman

cncman Senior Member

Nope, but I will start now.

5. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Well, I'm glad you did not say you were disappointed in NGC...there are times we loose faith in the grading services when they find something wrong with submissions, after all they are just doing their job.

Yes, take a good look at this Jefferson, especially in different light sources and various degrees of magnification. Rotate slowly and ar different angles, look for their reason for a details grade.

Yes, that would have been a nice Jefferson had it made the grade. Just one more reason that makes coin collecting such a slippery slope. Just when you think you have a foot hold making progress, you slide back even further.

Don't let this get to you, I'd keep it in the details holder as a reminder that we are still children when it comes to Numismatics.

Happy Collecting

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

How about just a good picture of the coin now, a closeup with the slab cropped out. But show the whole coin.

7. cncman

cncman Senior Member

I will take my own pics when it gets here, I tried cropping it in PS and magnifying it but it ended up being so pixelated you couldn't see anything. The pics don't seem to be very high res or I wouldn't loose so much detail zooming in.

BR, yea, if I missed it I missed it, but I use the spiral method of looking at coins, start at the rim go around and spiral in, so if there is a scratch that was there before it must be very light that can only be seen at a certain angle, but would such a light scracth result in a details grade? I thought it usually had to be a severe scracth unless it was in a focal area.

8. cncman

cncman Senior Member

here is the best close up I can get, the only things I can see are what appears to be a planchette mark about 2 O'clock, which I knew about, but on the bottom edge it looks like a rolling machine scratch, those kind of scracthes are VERY obvious and I don't think I could have missed it.

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It is hard to tell when I zoom in what the mark is because it does get blurry from the zoom. I can't tell if it is a scratch on the coin or a gouge on the die. Surely the graders can tell the difference.

Once you get the coin, if you honestly believe that it couldn't have been there when it was submitted, the only thing I can suggest is that you contact Scott Schechter at NGC and explain the situation. He is a very fair-minded person who will give you an honest answer.

Chris

10. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

Make sure you examine the tops of the letters then if you suspect a rolling machine.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That is only in the world of PCGS, the rest of the world recognizes damage for what it is and calls it that.

It's really hard to say based on those pics but I think the scratch they saw is just before you get to the E in the motto.

12. cncman

cncman Senior Member

I see that too, hard to tell because it is in a shadow. Will probably get it tuesday and I will know for sure then.

13. cncman

cncman Senior Member

GD you were right, but it goes from there ACROSS THE STEPS to "America", as I said before, if it was somewhere not obvious I would admit it was POSSIBLE for me to miss it, but this line is straight across the steps that I have looked at at least 10 times under the loupe. It is also so straight as if a ruler was used to put it there. Just as bad is there is now a FINGERPRINT on the reverse field! I haven't held a coin like that since I was 5 years old and my dad taught me the right way to hold a coin! There is NO WAY I missed a diagonal scratch across the steps and the whole reverse AND a fingerprint!!!!!! I painted the line on this pic and the red dot is where the fingerprint is, its a dam shame because this coin is FS with PL surfaces!

Attached Files:

• 861a.jpg
      861a.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
      Views:
  14. cncman

cncman Senior Member

whats the best way of getting that fingerprint off before it eats into the surface anymore?

15. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Acetone followed by xylene.

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Did you submit the coin in a stapled 2x2? Perhaps it was damaged when they removed it.

I only ever submit in the plastic 2x2 flips, no staples, no tape.

17. cncman

cncman Senior Member

Nope, I read their guidlelines very well, it was sent in a plastic 2x2 no tape or staples.

18. cncman

cncman Senior Member

Where do I get that at? The pure acetone not nail polish remover right?

19. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Your local hardware store. Automotive stores usually carry it too. And NEVER use fingernail polish remover. it's not pure

20. cncman

cncman Senior Member

Yea, that's what I heard, looks like a trip to the hardware store, looks like I can get xylene there, xylol is the same thing right? Sheesh, then I gotta crack that slab open and go to work and still have a scratched coin!

21. cncman

cncman Senior Member

just looked at it under the loupe, no way it is FS now, the scratch bridges the steps. Probably won't even bother cracking it out and cleaning it, I will leave it on top of my desk to remind me to take detailed pics before I send any coins in.

Draft saved Draft deleted