Disappointing news at my bank WRT Halves Boxes...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by nuMRmatist, Apr 11, 2018.

1. nuMRmatist

nuMRmatist Well-Known Member

I took 2 boxes Halves back to my bank today. I was greeted with (cordially), "Normally we won't take these back" (she didn't say she was referring to Halves; I figured that after a few minutes of conversation).

I know all the girls there by name. They know me too - I keep a lot of money in that bank. So this was kind of a surprise. She said Loomis doesn't take [these] back, and vault space is limited (small town bank). Made sense then - local businesses don't come in for Halves, but they DO for other change. THat's when I figured she was referring to Halves only. Made the disappointment not SO disappointing.

Couple other things are clear now too.

I posted 3 weeks ago about a box of Halves that had been searched already. After returning them, Nancy said they had just come from Loomis. They had NOT - another teller had obviously given them out to a collector (whom the girls have NOW told me occasionally comes in for boxes), and they were returned, and she didn't know about it. Loomis would never receive from anyone a tape-job box like that, to deliver to a bank, as I thought a few weeks ago.

Also means that the other collector locally might have more in the bank than I do - HE returned a box of Halves. Did he get the same notice - that they "don't normally take back Halves"??? Perhaps I'll ask the pertinent question on my NEXT visit...

Or perhaps just 2 boxes at one time was the straw that broke the camel's courtesy back?

SO ... does anyone else here get boxes of Halves from their bank? How many at one time? And your bank's 'policy' on returning them? And are you 'someone' there???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I said this in another thread earlier today.
    "Don't defecate where you sleep."

Sounds like you've defecated in your sleeping spot too many times and they are tired of it. They were helping you out and are no longer willing to do so.

*coins, Stevearino, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  4. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I get a box a week from my bank, but I can get as many as I want. They are small town too. Space is limited, but I know the general time they are delivered, so I just make sure I am there to pick it up. They have no problem ordering as many as I want.

5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Exactly, even crate trained puppies know that. :D

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I know I have said this before (many times), you should feel lucky and/or "blessed" that you hadn't been "shut down" on this LONG ago. Most banks WILL NOT DO THIS, for ANYONE.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

My bank won’t sell me boxes of halves, Ute they let me get one or two rolls a week. Same with gold dollars I did buy 2 rolls of gold dollars a few days ago, and found a nice proof on in it.
    Have you tried dumping coins at a different bank or branch? That has worked really well for me. I go and dump my coins at the bigger branch if my bank because my small town bank doesn’t like when I put $75 in pennies so down their machine at once.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  8. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

I definitely agree not to dump where you pick up, or be very judicious. What I have learned is that each bank (not single branches) has a cage for Loomis, Garda, etc. that they pull the coin from back and forth and deposit. A teller filled me in and she has visited the cage. So Chase has a cage, Wells, BMO, you get it. Now I live in a large metro area and all the branches have to balance to this cage to make it work for all branches. So if you dump enough back to Chase, you may see similar coins but there is a ton of back and forth. The interesting thing is when I was ordering a ton of pennies, she said if they ran low, they may have to pull from the Fed supply if it got too low - still think it would have to take a load of ordering but...wanted to pass on this knowledge!

nuMRmatist likes this.
  9. nuMRmatist

Slept on it. 2 boxes of Halves was a tall order.

But I don't give them 'attitude'; in fact, the opposite - try to get Friday Faces out of them on Monday [jokes], and learn their names, Bdays, kids' names, etc. (I owned a service business for 20+ yrs, and you don't make it without a similar practice). I'd smile at them when THEY were trying to bring YOU down, and personally trained my employees to do likewise.

-------------------
    "some [most] banks won't give/take rolls"? I've never been refused on rolls, or anything ever mentioned on it. In fact, I went to the next door bank after I left my bank (only other one in this small town), and asked about it, SPECIFYING Halves - "...once weekly, perhaps...", and was 'told' fine, long as you're a customer. I know I won't get that on paper, but...

10. calishield

calishield Well-Known Member

There is a BMO Harris branch near right around where I live that will not take any coin in large amounts from customers or other. It’s because they don’t wanna pay the fee per roll on ordering it or sending it back. I am Magine if you are in a small town and you agree to pay the fee per roll, which isn’t very much, they may order it so that they’re not incurring that expense too much.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Banks are businesses, and when something gets to be more of a hassle than it's worth, it's perfectly reasonable for them to put an end to it. It doesn't matter how "nice" you are to them. Business is business.

12. Ron W

Ron W Member

My Bank has a Coin-Star type of machine that takes up to Fifty Cent Coins with no charge if you are a member, which is a great service and that is why I have a sizeable amount at this Bank that I use only for my Coin business.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  13. Clay Bowen

Clay Bowen HaveYouSeenTheWizard?

Here in Japan (and I think in the US also), many stores have automated payment machines. Whenever I get too many coins, when I go and get groceries I dump all of my coins into this machine. Often the change overpays the amount owed, so the machine gives me back bills and new change.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  14. nuMRmatist

I like this Ron - I'll see if each of my banks (just set up modest acct. @ next-door bank) has coin 'dump' machines.

I'm guessing that customers can buy raw bagged [or whatever] coins, from those who service the machines? Be they 'the bank', or a field service guy???

ed.:
    (when some members here talk about sorting-machine coins, I thought THEY were the actual machine service-men)

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I'd just spend them and let them slowly trickle back to the bank. Someone needs to teach the millenials what a half dollar looks like. Most of them think they are dollar coins when I spend them.

nuMRmatist likes this.
  16. V. Kurt Bellman

That's what the Pennsylvania Turnpike is for.

17. bhh

bhh Well-Known Member

I don’t ever take any coins back to the bank I get them for fear of upsetting them and messing up what I have going. I return all coins to one bank with a coin counter and I never pick up there. (Unless I glance over and see silver in the tray). So I have not run into this issue myself. Even so I have noticed with all coins some banks are great and friendly some look at you like you just kicked their kid if you ask for a box. I have only had one bank flat out say “no”. And I was told they “have no dimes” I said “in the entire bank?” “Yes”.

*coins, NOS and nuMRmatist like this.
  18. nuMRmatist

True (the "than it's worth" qualifier - or quantifier, depending on how you like to look at it).

And if 'Books' was a bank, he'd NEVER put an end to it, for a customer with $ubstantial accounts at his bank. ;)

19. V. Kurt Bellman

But that sort of analysis presumes something that is no longer true - that large balance holders are inherently profitable to a bank in any significant way. They are not. Borrowers create profits, not depositors. "Well, they have to have deposits to allow borrowing. " Actually no, only in the abstract. All loans LITERALLY create new money. If this were not so, a loan made to person A would prevent person B from access to some significant proportion of his deposits, like in It's A Wonderful Life. Banking isn't like that any more. Loanable funds are created from nothing.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

"But I'm important. People should bend over backwards for me."

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Your deposit balance appears on the bank's balance sheet as A LIABILITY, not an asset.

Draft saved Draft deleted