Disappointed these two came back from NGC AT - worth a resub?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Volante, May 28, 2018.

1. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Submitted these two to NGC and both came back Artificial Toning. I understand that toning like this is uncommon on Peace Dollars, but IMO the color progressions read natural. Any thoughts on whether it's worth trying to resubmit these? My inclination is to crack out the 1922 and keep it for my 7070 type set.

peace_monster.jpg
    1924_peace_toned.jpg

CircCam likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

See the "spottiness?" They often assume that's a spray bottle effect. As in, someone heated the coin and used a spray bottle of patina to tone it.

TypeCoin971793 and tommyc03 like this.
  4. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I would have said AT also, and I think PCGS would do the same.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I'm curious how the environment would affect the coin. I've seen a couple Peace's that are from a very smoky environment that look this way.

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

What were they smoking ?

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

The coins?
    or the owners ?
    :cigar:

Cigars, cigarettes over decades. I assume the owners, not the coins.

This is also from the set of the pennies that I got that were slimy from all the smoking.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but Peace Dollars typically tone spotty. That's opposed to Morgans for example, which (with the exception of the 1921) generally tone with smooth unbroken swathes of color. Here's another Peace Dollar from the same submission that NGC straight-graded. Virtually the same exact toning pattern.

a3_ob_slab.jpg

Santinidollar, charlietig and Paul M. like this.
  9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Look just fine 2 me.

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's just a judgement call. They could've just as easily dinged that one. I sent in 8 toner roosies awhile back. They all came out of an album i bought from a trusted member here. All were original and rainbow toned. For some reason PCGS graded like 3 of them and gave 5 other questionable color. No rhyme or reason.

TypeCoin971793 and Paul M. like this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with CBD in the above post, maybe they had a pleasant thought while grading that one. It doesn't have the small spots or edge at the top that appears as from fluid moving while toning and that maybe the difference with this grader.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought this one a week ago. Old PCGS MS63 rattler. Sent it to CAC. A gold sticker if I ever saw one... looks like a 66!
    s-l400 (2).jpg s-l400 (3).jpg
    s-l400 (4).jpg

13. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you plan on keeping them, and if you really, really want to try again, at least wait on it, perhaps even a few years and then revisit it. I see no worthwhile upside to trying again now.

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

They start nuking them a lot quicker once they call one or two of them questionable

15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If they're together in a small submission and both have the same kind of toning, they're going to be extra conservative with what they call them. The 1922 looks "helped" a bit, but the 1924 looks like OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted