Dis you follow or bid on today CNG 462 auction ?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by oldfinecollector, Feb 26, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I sure wouldn't want to live in Aalst, though!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

I won two sestertii that I feel went fairly cheap, and one large lot of Greek obols to flip - goal is to hopefully break even or at least get one of these beauties for free

Gordian III as Caesar, a hole I had been wanting to fill for a few years
    471_1.jpg

This Gallienus sestertius is one of the last of its type, and the portrait really spoke to me
    501_1.jpg

Cannon fodder!
    693_1.jpg
    I was really, really, really hoping that I was going to win the Volusian as Caesar antoninianus, but I didn't want it $400 bad, let alone $650! There were some nice coins in this lot, and the "Summer Haven" sestertii in particular were quite nice.

4. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I put 15 coins into the auction and out of that group One came in just below estimate. One came in above estimate but only just. 6 came in between $50 to $130 over estimate and the rest were $150 or more over estimate. Perhaps 3 had doubled their estimates. Over all I have to say I was pleased with the results though there were no coins that really took off. These were two of my coins I think the Nero did best overall Photos CNG b-sicily-syracuse-i-hieronymos-i-b-215-214-bc-5850704-XL.jpg b-seleucis-and-pieria-antioch-i-nero-5850936-O.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Finn235, Alegandron, DonnaML and 2 others like this.
  5. KeviniswhoIam

KeviniswhoIam Well-Known Member

Was my first CNG auction, and what a learning experience. I was winning bid on a AlexIII, until about 10 minutes from the close...then outbid. I would have bid again, but I was literally in the dentist chair getting a root canal at that moment. I lost the coin by $50......but who really knows? The other bidder might have pushed it higher.
    I gave more luck with Frank Robinson

Draft saved Draft deleted