Dirty cent coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AK Polly, Feb 16, 2019.

1. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

I have some cent coins that have junk or dirt on them. Some are wheat cents and others are coins through the sixties. Is there a way to remove the dirt without compromising the coin. Olive oil or such that would soften the dirt so it could be rinsed clean. I know not to clean coins, but is there an acceptable way to remove dirt. I have a 1941 WDDO-OO1 that I like to remove the bit of dirt it has on it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Paulette

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Distilled water will work wonders I am sure. There is a big difference between dirt, corrosion, and verdigris. It's hard to say what needs to be done with out a photo.

4. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

I have tried distilled water on some and it left a white residue on them. I will upload a photo. The 1941 is not a great coin but the first one I have found. So I wanted to preserve it.
    19216114256216.jpg 19216114515217.jpg

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nothing looks bad on that 41. I'm quite happy that someone actually posts that they have a doubled die and it actually is what they say it is. I wouldn't touch that 41 at all. Toss it in a flip and call it good to go.

@paddyman98 @Rick Stachowski @Seattlite86 - thought you guys might wanna see it too :D

6. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

What is vertigris

7. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

Can you tell me an approximate grade on 41. I am just learning a bit about grading

8. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

"Verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates or the natural patina formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air or seawater over a period of time."

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'm not one for grading coins, but I am amazed if you found that one in circulation recently. The wheats on the reverse are approximately equal in depth/detail to the ones I have had in my own collection for upwards of 65 years. I'm looking at two of them now.

10. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

Is there a web site or somewhere I can look at a picture of a coin with vertigris. I found the 41 roll hunting.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I'd say VF.
    Cool find.

LaCointessa likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

If you have copper pipes in your bathroom, hot water tank or somewhere similar you can see verdigris forming around where the joints go together.... There is a search bar at the top of the page. Type in verdigris and hit search. Probably get enough hits to read yourself to sleep tonight!

LaCointessa likes this.
  14. AK Polly

AK Polly Member

Thanks for the definition and I will check it out in the search. There are many coin forums that i have viewed, but none as informative as this one. Thank you all for you responses. Hope to post more coins. I read the threads everyday. Helps me learn before posting.

15. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Thanks for the tag. Yes, it is rare that someone shares an actual DDO and we love to see them. I think VF is fair for a grade. The coin seems fine as it is, but true distilled water should never leave residue on a coin. I agree with Furry here and say just toss it in a flip and call it a day. Nice find!

Draft saved Draft deleted