Dipping MS and Proof coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Jun 27, 2008.

1. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

:eek:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longtimecollect

longtimecollect New Member

Removing The Haze From The Surface Of A Silver Proof Coin.

I have read all the warnings about the dangers and pitfall of so-called cleaning of coins.I believe it is well established that dipping in an acid based cleaner such as Tarn-X , Jeweluster and the like can ruin a coins luster and related value.The Conservators of coins such NCS have been removing the oxidation and surface tone from coins for some time.I realize these professional agencies preserve the original luster of the coins surface yet remove the unwanted toning. These outfits use some type of cleaning compound and process to achieve the results. The process seems to be a guarded secret. Has anyone out there had the opportunity to work for these outfits and obtain some insight to what is going on in the process.I can only guess the process involves a liquid bath and rinse with a water pic type device and sonic drying.Any solutions on removing Haze.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Short of using a commercial coin dip of some kind I know of no way to remove haze. Easiest, and best solutiuon, in my opinion at least, is to sell the coin with the haze on it and get a new one that is haze free.

tpsadler and Insider like this.
  5. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

6. GDJMSP

Hopefully you realize that they are a United Kingdom dealer and that in Europe, people's attitudes about cleaning coins and how to go about it is quite different from many of those here in the USA.

And that is why when many collectors buy coins from dealers in Europe and then submit them to a US TPG the coins come back in body-bags marked as harshly cleaned.

7. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

do you know the term excessive hairlines from NCS? and why use that as a reason not to slab a coin?

9. GDJMSP

Normally excessive hairlines would a sign of bad mishandling, possible harsh cleaning, to the point that the coin was damaged and deemed not worthy of being graded/slabbed.

Insider likes this.
  10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

okay ill go post pics. i think they have screwed up again in one submission packet from ncs i get harshly cleaned corroded damaged the harilne thingy and damaged. the only saving grace for me are that the coins are actually rare so ill go open a thread and you let me know if there are any next steps. some of the coins are at least as rare as a 1914 d cent while some are are rare as an svdb but of course not worth that much by any standards

11. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Reviving an old thread... what does a dipped proof coin look like?

What are the signs to avoid when browsing / buying?

12. GDJMSP

If it was dipped correctly, it looks like an ordinary Proof coin that has no toning.

Some people seem to think that when a coin is dipped that you can see that it has been dipped. But that's thing - you can't. Nor is there any machine or technology that can tell you a coin has been dipped.

That said we have brains, we can think, we can reason. So think. All coins, every single one of them, begins to tone the instant it is struck. This is just a cold, hard, fact. So if you see an older coin and it has no toning on it then it is almost a certainty that that coin has been dipped at some point in its life. That is deductive reasoning. This is the only thing that can tell you if a coin has been dipped or not.

Now if a coin has not been dipped correctly, you can see that it has been. And it's easy to see because all luster will have been stripped from the coin. It will look dull, lifeless, flat. Even a novice collector when he looks at an over-dipped coin can see that it doesn't "look" right.

iPen - do you have any older coins in your collection ? And for the sake of discussion I'll define older as being older than 50 years. If you answer yes, then my next question would be are those coins toned, do they have toning on them ? If you answer no to that, then you can bet money on the fact that those untoned older coins have been dipped - and you will win your bet.

80% or more of all older coins have been dipped. And yes that includes all those slabbed and graded by the TPGs - all of the TPGs.

There are no signs - except a lack of toning.

bsowa1029 and Insider like this.
  13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO. You need to become more informed about conservation before you post nonsense like this. And that is a nice way to say it.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: See everyone, I really can be nice, hold back my real thoughts on this post, and not use faces.

The new member (rhoggman) appears to have "outshined" you this time:

"I think doctoring is a deceiving method to make a problem coin appear to have no problems, or to do something like change a date to make the coin more valuable than it actually is.
    Conservation when done properly should merely expose the coin's true virtue."

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Insider

These "cans" need to be opened on occasion for new members. I never saw this thread before and when I get the time I plan on doing some "chopping-up" here and hopefully educating some people to my way of thinking.

15. Insider

Are you saying that PCGS cleans collector's coins w/o asking them? That should expose them to a "coin switch" argument if it's look was changed.

I only know of one company that even comes close to this statement. ICG has at least one customer (that's all I saw do it at the FUN show) who has given them blanket permission to conserve any coins sent in by him EVER if it will help the coin/grade.

I may call them about this so I can prove to myself that it is a general company policy.

16. Insider

Again, it reads like you believe the TPGS's conserve coins w/o permission. Can you please back your OPINION up? Do you have experience with this? Did they ruin a coin you sent them?

And...if they goof up...it has happened before, I've heard many stories - right from the people who do the work. On some occasions when a coin "crashed" they were able to restore it. Other cases they were not; however, the treatments are done WITH NO GUARANTEE (98% certain of this statement). Thankfully, the professionals at NCS and ICG (the only conservation services I am familiar with) have an outstanding success record.

17. Insider

An remember, haze is in the eye of the beholder. Some proofs for example develop a beautiful blue haze that is sought after. If a collector has a coin with haze follow Doug's advice. Don't remove it yourself as it will be attractive for two types of buyers:

1. Those who like haze, toning, color and "originality."
    2. Those who cannot wait to dip it!

18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

An over-dipped proof coin will only look flawless with luster lacking? Or just properly dipped proof coins (flawless with luster more or less intact?

Is there a picture example somewhere of a super over-dipped proof coin? For the sake of discussion, let's say the proof coin was left in dip for an entire day (!). What will it look like then?

From what I can tell, MS examples that are over-dipped appear to have a very grainy or bead-blasted surface with its luster highly dampened or muted. I haven't noticed much for proofs, or at least I'm not sure what to look for besides no toning. Something's got to happen if an older proof coin is left in dip for way too long. Is it the same thing that develops on over-dipped MS coins?

19. Insider

Now that is an interesting question.;) I'll have lots of comments to add to this thread next week. :smuggrin::shifty:

PS ICG will conserve coins either when asked to by the submitter or when they call the customer to recommend conservation for the good of the coin or to raise its eye appeal. They also have blanket permission from regular customers. The lady at ICG said that (FOR NOW) they do not advertise this service or charge for conservation (other than the normal submission fee).

20. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I'll roll up my pants legs!!!:shame:

21. Insider

There may be some whining when this thread get's going again :troll: but we're not making wine - just better collectors.

Your coin is buffed o_O and if they did not detail grade it - they POSSIBLY used that as an excuse to "duck" the authenticity opinion :coldfeet:. Was it a Trade Dollar? :smug:

Draft saved Draft deleted