Dipping MS and Proof coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Jun 27, 2008.

1. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I dont recall them advertising that they dip or clean your coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

They don't advertise that they will dip your coins, however they do advertise that they will conserve your coins, and often times conservation involves dipping a coin.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There ya go, it's the base metal content...

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Let's call it what it is, "doctoring." They're afraid to advertise they'll "doctor" your coins, as they see fit...

6. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I think doctoring is a deceiving method to make a problem coin appear to have no problems, or to do something like change a date to make the coin more valuable than it actually is.

Conservation when done properly should merely expose the coin's true virtue. Doctoring would be more along the lines of adding or subtracting a number to or from an equation to change the resulting quantity.

Insider likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Conservation? Like what we're supposed do with the environment? You must be a politician. :D

Seriously (and, no disrespect intended), I don't care how we choose to chop it up, cleaning coins is a relevant issue to collectors, and the TPGs know that as well as anybody does. And yet, have you seen that PCGS promotional video that was circulating around here a couple or so months ago? No mention that they clean coins, much less, have cleaned millions, to date They know it's a relevant issue to their consumers, they know they're doing it, they advertise what they're doing in a promotional video, and they neglect to mention it. False and deceptive...advertising? You ask me, somebody ought to sit this President down and have a long talk with him...

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

There's only a finite no. of coins out there some get ruined every year , wether by improper cleaning , corrosion whatever , if some company will take on the responsablity to keep the coins in collectable condition , no matter what we call it , more power to them .
    rzage

Insider likes this.
  9. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Oh boy, looks like another CAN of worms is about to be opened...
    [​IMG]

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well good for you. But maybe the consumers ought to be the ones making that choice. Don't you agree?

11. rzage

Your the one with the power to use this service or not , to buy whatever you want , if they "conserve: a coin and you can tell the difference buy or don't buy . Whats the problem .:smile:hatch::hammer:
    rzage

Insider likes this.
  12. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Wow you are smart... maybe you should write a new book!

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

And what happens when they goof up on your submission? Or don't they? Just saying, that's why we ought to know--in advance...

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well I guess that ends this one. Look, write if you find work...

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes you're correct, if a pure gold coin is left exposed in the open air then the color could be changed by whatever settles onto the coin.

But I am not talking about leaving a the coin in the open air, I am talking about putting the coin up someplace, in a covered area, but not in the open air. It will still tone and change color.

As I said before, don't take my word for it. Test it yourself and see the proof with your own eyes.

Insider likes this.
  16. rzage

GD , I guess I was splitting hairs anyway , Out of all the gold coins I've seen they are pretty much a different color , whether 90% or 99.999% .
    rzage

17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Same with my 30-year-old Krugerrands. Some are pale, some are a little reddish, etc...

Insider likes this.
  18. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Here's one (1908) which has seen no circulation. The picture was taken using a 100-watt bulb. The coin sat out in the basement (on top of log, LOL...) for a few months with the scent of seasoned firewood in the air; now it resides in a CoinWorld plastic holder.

The (1898) has seen some circulation and has a nice natural color taken with natural light. It's been in a 2x2 flip for a few years.

The both have the same metallurgical composition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. rzage

Gosh Bone you got $20 gold pieces sitting on log , any emore just sitting aroud I'll PM you my address & you can send me a few . LOL That St. Gaudens is sweet .
    rzage

20. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

looks like bone made a lot of profit from BENT and as usual i didnt get my share ;)

21. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

It was a simply test to see if gold would tone up any like some Morgans did once.

Ben

Draft saved Draft deleted