Dipping MS and Proof coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bqcoins, Jun 27, 2008.

1. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That makes sense. But I can live with the "experts" doing this. I wouldn't think of removing my kid's appendix, but I let an expert surgeon do it. Same thing. I don't see anything inconsistent with saying only the coin experts should be cleaning/dipping coins. Just my personal feeling on this...

Insider likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It isn't a secret. Just about anybody who regularly submits coins knows it and has since the day the TPG's came into existence.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

apparently you have not heard of the new Canadian technology with 99.999% gold .986 percent gold is not really pure in chemical terms it has a lot of room for toning

5. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

MS-70 will not tone mint red copper, but take a RB or a copper coin with some lite rub, and it will turn blue to purple. MS-70 is a no no for copper coins, I know as I have experimented so I could see what to look for.

6. GDJMSP

Ya think so huh ? I dunno spock, .986 is about as pure as you can get - especially 700 years ago.

Sure .999 is closer, by a tad over 1%. But even your .999 coins (which is a modern thing by the way) will tone. Gold tones - accept it, it's a fact.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Then let me ask it differently, why don't they advertise it? Get your coins expertly cleaned, dipped, graded and slabbed! So the rest of us know it. Or so those customers of theirs who infrequently submit might know it in advance? ;) The stigma is out there, what other reason can there be?

8. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

i am not interested in 700 year old coins toning. i am asking you can pure gold tone ( read absolutely pure gold) if they manage to get to six 9 or seven 9 pure gold coins will they tone.

9. GDJMSP

Yes spock, even pure gold will tone. I mentioned the .986 coins because up until about 100 years ago or so that was about as pure as they could get it. So coins that were called pure gold before modern times were .986.

You take a Canadian Maple Leaf, a US Buffalo - whatever, they are .999 gold and they will tone given a bit of time. Like I said, it's a fact.

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

what about those people who sit on rooftops and shout that gold is inert and at room temperatures wont change in millions of years false propaganda?

11. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

I am not an expert on gold toning, and GDJMSP seems to really know his stuff, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But they even claimed that King Tut's mask/ gold coffin was as nice as the day it went in the ground. Then you hear about all the sunken treasure that was almost preserved by the salt water.... So I understand the questioning.

What I think is that gold alloyed with just about any metal is subject to tone/ tarnish whatever you want to call it. This is usually caused by the deposition of materials onto the surface of the coin/ jewlrey or whatever. Metallic ions are actually attracted to most other metals, and most other metals are also subject to a number of other destructive forces, where gold's is very limited.

If you read GDJMSP's statement about restoring luster he descibes the essence of luster on the surface of a coin, and how luster can be damaged, or revealed, but not "restored".

To answer the question to the best of my ability I would assume that the more pure the gold is, the less likely that it will tarnish; however there is no garuntee that it will not. There are even thought to be microscopic plant life that can slowly destroy the surface of gold which would give it a tarnished look.

So while a .9999 pure Maple Leaf/ Buffalo may be beautiful for a very long time there is always a chance of some tarnishing/ toning to take place however unlikely it may be. Furthermore; .0001 of that coin is unpure. What is that .0001 subject to, and how much will it affect the coin?????

So really there are multiple reasons why this is possible, but there could also be favorable conditions where something that is gold could be perserved in a pristine state for a very long time.

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Probably kept as an open secret. Kinda like the Masons. :D

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Although I'm sure some might rather think of it as the numismatic equivalent of pointing the middle finger at the uninformed public. But to each, their own, I guess... ;)

14. rhoggman

rhoggman New Member

Personally I think this is advantageous, and self serving for the TPG's since they are marketing their own graded coins. Not to mention as the value of the coin goes up, "the grading tier" or "service level" demands a higher price.

Although I have not actually ever been back charged for under-grading a coin. I have heard of this being a problem when the next grade up is a significant price jump.

15. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

tone

99.999 Gold would tone .001 % of coin .:eek:
    rzage

16. GDJMSP

What would call what NCS does if not advertising ?

Insider likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

No TPG markets or sells coins - other than the self-slabbers that is. Yes, it may be said that David Hall has a conflict of interest in that he not only used to be the President of PCGS and he was a coin dealer at the same time. PCGS was not selling the coins.

Insider likes this.
  18. GDJMSP

Look, there are literally thousands of people who will say that gold does not tone. There is a muc smaller number of people who have collected gold coins for many years, or who actually know gold from dealing with it on a daily basis, who will tell you that it does tone. So, what to believe ?

Easy answer - don't believe either one, prove it to yourself. Go buy a new .999 gold coin - keep it for a year. Just put it up someplace and keep it. At the end of that year go to store to get another one - you don't have to buy it, but take the year old coin with you and compare it to the new one.

You're gonna see that the two coins are different colors. Now, if gold doesn't tone - why the different colors ?

Insider likes this.
  19. rzage

Couldn't that be from the junk in the atmosphere , ie pollution getting on the coin , like the color of a smokers ceiling ?
    rzage

20. GDJMSP

What do you think the biggest cause of toning is ? It's the air we breathe.

Insider likes this.
  21. rzage

I don't mean the chemicals & gasses in the air that cause oxidation , but like soot that darkens a building , the stuff that settles on it .
    rzage

Draft saved Draft deleted