Dippety-do-da

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, I know about EZest coin dip for silver, it contains sulfuric acid and thiourea. Is there any "dip" that can be used for copper that will not damage it? I know Brasso and stuff like that will do it, but that totally strips the coin. Is there anything that can be used simply to brighten a dark, unattractive toning?

Stephan77 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Photoshop!

Chris

4. Stephan77

Stephan77 Well-Known Member

A coin such as that, I let my dog swallow it, I hide it in some sausage to fool him, then when he poops it out, I rinse it off, and I'm amazed at how the dark unattractively toned coin suddenly looks like a freshly minted coin.

5. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If this is the best method, I think that I will leave my coppers brown.

Jwt708, NSP, mac266 and 3 others like this.
  6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

PM BadThad. He has a product that may help.

Stephan77 and Kentucky like this.
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I've always wondered the same thing. This cent has obviously been dipped or cleaned in the past, but I don't see any hairlines from cleaning, and the center of the coin looks like a natural mint red as opposed to the general orange color that most cleaned coppers have. image.jpg

8. Kentucky

You forgot to attach:

Stephan77, Kirkuleez and rickmp like this.
  9. Kentucky

Thad has a fabulous product VerdiCare that will help with verdigris or with bronze disease, I have used and recommend it. What I am talking about is like in Kirkuleez's coin. If we totally strip a copper coin, the re-toning is usually worse than what we started with, but I think the overwhelming majority of people on here will admit that you can dip a silver coin and increase the eye appeal without damaging the coin. Is there anything like that for copper? Should I start experimenting?

Stephan77 likes this.
  10. ron_c

ron_c Well-Known Member

How well does the dog handle Morgans? :)

11. rickmp

12. Kentucky

If it is a large dog...no problem. If it is a chiwa...chick...little dog, this won't work.

Stephan77, bdunnse and ron_c like this.
  13. Kentucky

Supposed to look like he was jumping in...duh
    ez.jpg

swamp yankee and Stephan77 like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

You guys have been reported to PETA and the ASPCA......... devil.gif

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This coming from someone who likes to munch on finger food while handling coins.

Chris

16. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

You can use EZest for copper if you are very careful, but even then, the results are unpredictable. I wish I had documented the process with photography, but about 5 years ago, I took low value Indian Cent that was graded 63 RB. After a very careful dip, it had cleaned the toning up well, and still maintained the luster. In fact it really brought out the luster. The issue though, the coin looked too bright and the color was too orange. So I let the coin sit a few months, and the coin toned to a much more natural look. I sent it in to PCGS and they slapped it in a 64RD holder without issue. That may not always be the results though. On other pieces of copper that I tried, the coins really never retoned to a natural look. I have done many Lincoln 's just for fun and it really varies coin to coin.

With a good supply of copper Lincoln's available you can practice all you want until you get a feel, of what results you can realistically expect. Oh I forgot, I am only talking about UNC coins. I have never seen a circulated copper benefit from an acid bath.

17. rickmp

I've been tried in tougher courts.

swamp yankee and Stephan77 like this.
  18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, but not by these vigilantes......... devil.gif

19. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Sorry Stephan, but sounds like a lot of crap to me.....

Kentucky, Tater, Stephan77 and 3 others like this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Dip it anyway. It will brighten the copper as you requested but heed my warning, it will turn the copper pink.

Stephan77 likes this.
  21. littlehugger

littlehugger Active Member

I hear his dog set off the airport metal detector. Security heard the story, and thought it was a load of crap.
    Hmm, good way to hide certain valuables for a short time, and I hear silver is a natural antibiotic.

Draft saved Draft deleted