Dionysos and panther!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

A new acquisition. I have always wanted a coin with this reverse type because the god's panther is cool!

Dionysos (Bacchus to the Romans) was the god of wine, festivities, and ecstasy. He was the son of Zeus and the mortal Semele. He is often depicted feminine in appearance and holds a thyrus, wine jug or cup, or grapes, and is often accompanied by a panther.

Show off your Dionysus coins or anything you deem relevant!

Domna Nicopolis Dionysos and panther.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ tetrassarion, 13.76 g, 26 mm.
    Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum; Legate Aurelius Gallus, AD 201-204.
    Obv: ΙΟVΛΙΑ ΔΟ-ΜΝΑ CΕΒΑ, bare-headed and draped bust, right.
    Rev: VΠ ΑVΡ ΓΑΛΛΟV-ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ | ΠΡΟC ΙCΤΡΟ, Dionysos standing left,
    naked except for boots, holding bunch of grapes and thyrsos, panther at foot left.
    Refs: AMNG I 1456; Varbanov 2897; H&J, Nikopolis 8.17.8.1 corr. (rev. legend); Mionnet Sup. 2, p. 134, 457 and pl. III, no 6.

Notes: Die match to Künker Auction 193, lot 844, September 26, 2011:

Domna Nicopolis Dionysos and panther Kunker.jpg

For an idealized rendering of the reverse, here's the plate from Mionnet Sup. 2:
    Domna Nicopolis Dionysos and panther Mionnet.JPG

dlhill132, Nyatii, Chris B and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice score, with a very playful looking panther. :)

[​IMG]
    HERENNIA ETRUSCILLA
    AE30. 11.15g, 29.8mm. CILICIA, Tarsus, AD 249-251. RPC 1371. O: EPEΝΝΙΑΝ ΑΙΤΡΟΥϹΚΙΛΛΑΝ ϹƐ, draped bust right, wearing stephane, crescent behind shoulders. R: ΤΑΡϹΟV - ΜΗΤΡΟΠΟΛƐΩϹ around, Α / Μ / Κ - Γ / Β in field, Dionysus standing left, holding cantharus over panther and thyrsus.

And when Dionysos wasn't looking... :eek:

[​IMG]
    ELAGABALUS
    Rare. AE27. 12.24g, 26.9mm. MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum, circa 218-222. Novius Rufus, legate. Varbanov 3949 (same dies); AMNG 1933 corr. (2 specimens). O: AVT M AVP ANTΩ[NINOC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: VΠ NOBIOV POVΦOV NIKOΠOΛITΩN ΠPO around, C ICTPΩ in exergue, Pan, with goats horns and legs, standing left, draped in nebris (fawn-skin), fawn hooves hanging from left arm, holding lagobolon (rabbit-bashing stick) in right hand, placing left hoof on the chest of submissive panther which is lying on its back on the ground and raising its head.
    Ex Dr. Rainer Pudill Collection, purchased from Majestic, Großostheim, on 24 Sep 1997

4. Roman Collector

Man, that Pan reverse type is CREEPY!

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

This thread needs a bump, so I'll post my maybe-Dionysus portrait (on the reverse):

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 11.38.11 PM.jpg
    Lesbos, Mytilene, c. 454-427 BC, electrum hekte
    (Could be a river god, though.)

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  7. Roman Collector

David Atherton likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted