Diocletian-Victory/Jupiter

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Smojo, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I thought I'd attempt to give a small, brief history of a recent purchase.
    This Diocletian I picked up from JA a couple of weeks ago.
    245-313 reign 284-305.
    image.jpg

Diocletian born Doicles in 245 a Dalmatian of humble family.
    He rose through the ranks of the military. Became commander of the Emporia Numerians bodyguard.
    When Numerian was murdered by his Praetorian Perfect the troops chose Diocletian to succeed the Emperor.
    Diocletian wanted to end the military anarchy of the past 50 years. (235-284)
    He appointed fellow soldier Maximian as his caesar. Maximian followed with military success in Gaul and North Africa. While Diocletian controlled the Danubian and Eastern Frontiers.
    Satisfied with his arrangement led to Maximians rise to Augustus (co emperor) in 286.
    Diocletian consolidated the Empire in 293. Formalizing the joint leadership system the so-called Tetrarchy.
    Maximian assumed general supervision of the west. Constantius had the responsibility in Gaul and Britain. Galerius the Balkans. Diocletian had general control of the east. However the others regarded him as the superior.
    Diocletian's innovations proved to be successful in 296. Constantius returned Britain to the Empire after its split nearly 10 years prior. Maximian squashed Moorish revolts. Diocletian held the Danubian, and insurrection in Egypt in 297. Also defeated Narses I of Persia.
    In 303 Diocletian visited Rome for the first time in celebration of 20 year rule.
    A year later he suffered what is believed to be a stroke.
    He decided it was time to turn over the reigns of government to the Caesars. Galerius and Constantius Chlorus were elevated to Augusti. Flavius Valerius Severus became Caesar in the West and Maximin Daia in the east.
    Diocletian died likely in 313 at Splato.
    Diocletian was known for his roles with the army and administration also the financial reforms.
    Diocletian established "THE DOMINATE". The characteristic form of government of the Late Empire.
    20160813_191637_1471138351512.jpg
    20160813_191512_1471138390256.jpg
    Post Reform. Diocletian. AE 20mm, 3g, 6h
    Heraclea 295/6 AD
    Obv: IMP CC VAL DIOCETIANVS PF AVG. Radiate draped cuirassed bust, right
    Rev: CONCORDIA MILITVM Emperor standing right receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter standing left, holding scepter. H A in lower center
    Ref.: Ric VI Heraclea 13/21, p. 531/532.

Post them if ya got them, Diocletian, Maximian, Victory, Jupiter Or any ancient. I ain't picky, it's a weekend.

Curtisimo, Ajax, Mikey Zee and 21 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition.

[​IMG]
    Diocletian (284 - 305 A.D.)
    Æ(S) Antoninianus
    O: IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: IOV ET HERCV CONSER AVGG, Jupiter stg R hldg globe and scepter; Hercules stg L hldg Victory, club,& lionskin, crescent & Z in center, XXI in ex.
    Antioch Mint
    4.0g
    21.6mm
    RIC V 323

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Nice coin. I gave away one of those about a month ago to someone in this forum. Here it is: I hope the new owner is enjoying it.

Emperor Diocletian Antoninianus.png

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice coin and super write-up! @John Anthony has had some great offerings over the last year! Your OP shows that.

My Diocletion:
    RI Diocletion 284-305 CE AE Folles VOT XX Obv-Rev.jpg
    RI Diocletion 284-305 CE AE Folles VOT XX

My Maximian:
    Maximianus antoninianus Antioch 292-295 CE CONCORDIA MILITVM Jupiter Obv-Rev.JPG
    Maximianus antoninianus Antioch 292-295 CE CONCORDIA MILITVM Jupiter

One of my Victory: (A pre-Denarii Republic... since I love Republic)
    RR 265-242 Didrachm Roma-Victory Crawford 22-1 Sear 25.JPG
    RR 265-242 BCE Didrachm Roma-Victory Crawford 22-1 Sear 25

And a Jupiter:
    Samnium Aesernia 263-240 BC AE 20 Vulcan Pilos Tongs Jupiter Biga O-R.jpg
    Samnium Aesernia 263-240 BC AE 20 Vulcan Pilos Tongs / Jupiter in Biga Victory above

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice one @Smojo I don't have that reverse type from Diocletian...actually Diocletian was my second ancient purchase.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dioclectian, AD 284-305
    AE, Follis, 9.8g, 28mm; 1h; Aquelia mint
    Obv.: IMP DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG; laureate head right
    Rev.: SACR MONET AVGG CAESS NOSTR; crescent in left field; VI in right field; Moneata holding scales and cornucopiae
    In Ex.: AQP

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Dang, giving coins out, what's it take to get a friend like that?
    Sure they're thankful. There's some subte difference in markings, mint, control, ect...between the two.

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I so agree @Alegandron. There was 1 in particular but a few I wanted to snatched up yesterday. Already had obligations FAC & vcoins, already surpassed my coin budget.

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have several from John that I have captured over the past year. I believe many of them are from several of the CT members. I hope to make them smile when they see them posted by me. He has been helpful in building some of my "non-core" areas of my collection. LOL, however, some of those "non-core" areas are starting to unexpectedly blossom into nice little vignettes of coins!

10. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

I see someone else posed Maximian. I gave two of those away recently to other forum members. LOL :D

Here is one of them:

Maximian Radiate.jpg

@Smojo I will probably be doing another giveaway before the year is out, so if you happen to be online then you could luck out, or you could request to have me as your Secret Santa this year, as I will be sending my giftee a very rare Roman bronze...either that or a medieval silver coin (not sure which yet)

11. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Ӕ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C M A MAXIMIANVS AVG , radiate , draped bust right .
    R: CONCORDIA MILITVM, Maximianus standing right holding sceptre, receiving Victory on globe from Jupiter standing left, holding long sceptre, Epsilon in lower centre.
    XXI in ex .
    Cyzicus mint, 293 AD
    21mm
    4.8g
    RIC V 607, E Cohen 53

Ex. Sallent

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Not currently in my collection strategy, but a nice coin nonetheless.
    Diocletian 7.jpg
    DIOCLETIAN
    AE27 Silvered Follis
    OBVERSE: IMP C C VAL DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, laureate head right
    REVERSE: GENIO POPV-L-IROMANI, Genius standing left, holding patera & cornucopia, HTA in ex.
    Struck at Heraclea, 296-297 AD
    9.3g, 27mm
    RIC VI 19a

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Glad to see this nice coin but even gladder to see you make the proper ID of it as a Post-Reform radiate and not fall into the trap calling it a pre-reform antoninianus which will have the XXI alloy mark and possibly some remaining silvering. Mine is very similar.
    rx3390bb1515.jpg

Also great to see is the Antioch antoninianus correctly IDed. Here the H in field stands for officina 8 while the on the OP coin the H is the Heraklea initial and the A is shop one. I don't have an Antioch 8 but here is a shop 9 (5+4) with plenty of ugly silver remaining.
    rx3320bb2156.jpg
    Bing's coin is the big brother of the Post Reform OP probably worth 2 1/2 of the OP coins.

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My Heraclea post-reform radiate is from the same workshop as Doug's. It was my first Tetrarchic period coin and the pretty green patina was what sold me on it.
    image.jpeg

15. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A number of important reforms and changes to the coinage occurred during Diocletian's tenure. Alexandria transitioned from a provincial to an imperial mint, for instance, so the last of the Egyptian tetradrachms are Diocletian's. Most types and dates are numerous and easy to collect...

composite diocletian tets k.jpg

16. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice Diocletian's all around !

Here below are the different denominations of his that I have. I particularily like the alexandrian follis with an old portrait of the emperor (in hand the chocolate patina is amazing)

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Antoninianus Siscia mint, 1st officina, AD 285-287
    IMP CC VAL DIOCLETIANVS PF AVG, Radiate and draped bust of Diocletianus right
    CLEMENTIA TEMP, Diocletianus facing Jupiter giving him a Victory. A in field, XXI at exergue
    4,61 gr
    Ref : Cohen #19, RCV # 12630 (40), RIC V, Part 2, 252

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Tetradrachm Alexandria mint, year 9 (AD 292/293)
    DIOKLETIANOCCEB, Laureate and cuirassed bust right
    L - ENATOY, Nike flying right, A in exergue
    7.91 gr
    Ref : Emmett # 4064 (R3)

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Argenteus Nicomedia mint, 3rd officina, AD 295-296
    DIOCLETI ANVS AVG, Laureate head of Diocletian right
    VICTORIAE SARMATICAE, The tetrarchs sacrifying before a campgate. SMNΓat exergue
    3.3 gr
    Ref : RCV # 12615 (1000), Cohen #491 var,

[​IMG]
    Diocletian, Follis Alexandria mint, 2nd officina, c. AD 304-305
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG, Laureate bust of Diocletianus right
    IOVI CONS CAES, Jupiter standing left, holding victory and spear. B in right field S | P in lower field, ALE at exergue
    11.21 gr
    Ref : Cohen # 173, RCV # 12805 (180), RIC VI # 41

Q

17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

All are nice coins, thanks for sharing.
    I can't take credit for the attribution @dougsmit, most of it was JA's. Although I do know the difference, I doubt that at this point I would've included it if JA hadn't already. Diocletian has for a long time been a favorite as far as Roman history goes. Having studied political science he drew the attention of my proffessor.
    Eventually I'll add more of his coins to my collection. As you all have shown there's quite a few.

Theodosius, Pishpash and panzerman like this.
  18. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i have a couple of diocletian tets....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I only have one Diocletian, posted it before....here it is again.
    AV Aureus 5.46g. struck 286AD Rome Mint FDC
    obv. laureate/draped/cuirassed bust right CC VAL DIOCLETIANUS PF AVG
    rev. nude Jupiter holding thunderbolt and sceptre JOVI CONSER-VAT AVGG
    RIC V pt.2 134
    Depeyrot 2c/1
    Ac 592133.jpg quired from Triton V

Svarog, Curtisimo, Mikey Zee and 15 others like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet OP-addition, Smojo (congrats)

Oh, and fantastic coins from the rest of the coin gang as well

:rolleyes:

DIOCLETIAN Antoninianus
    284-305 AD
    Rome Mint. Struck ca. 290 AD
    Diameter: 22mm
    Weight: 3.81 grams
    Obverse: IMP DIOCLE TIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: IOVI FV LGERATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head right, preparing to hurl thunderbolt; at feet to left, eagle standing left, head right; XXI Γ in exergue
    Reference: RIC V 168 var. (unlisted officina and with eagle)
    Other: flan crack

ancient1face.jpg ancient1tail.jpg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  21. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Your coin is RIC 167, which is described as "Jupiter walking l., holding thunderbolt; at foot, eagle" workshop gamma is also listed.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted