Diocletian under Carausius, PAX AVGGG

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Mar 16, 2022.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

RIC V 20
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS AVG
    PAX AVGGG
    S/P//C
    4.36g, 23mm
    Purchased from finder, found in Malton, Yorkshire 2021

wm_sharpen_Diocletian_under_Carausius_Pax_AVGGG_C-removebg-preview.png

After a rather lean few months on the coin front, with the recent general increase in costs for coins at auction now seemingly being felt on ebay, my regular hunting ground, I was pleased to spot this coin. It was erroneously listed as being barbarous by the seller and I think as a result passed under the radar. Thankfully for me, I got it for less than half of what I was prepared to pay for it.

These coins featuring AVGGG on the reverse are part of the series of coins produced by Carausius after his 'accord' with Maximian, or rather after Maximian's failure to defeat Carausius and bring Britannia back into the empire. The holy grail is a coin with Carausius, Maximian and Diocletian all in jugate on the obverse, but with even utterly rotten examples selling for many hundreds and often thousands of pounds, I have been trying to pick up any examples I can find due to their historical interest.

This Diocletian example, with the most common Pax reverse, is still very uncommon, and even more uncommon in such a good state. As usual, there are surface issues, with the patina flaking in some spots and severely chipped along the edges, but the strike and design is excellent and I am very pleased to add it to my collection.

Apologies for the watermark, but my health is playing up and I can't get a steady hand, so some blur removal was necessary.

Please share anything you feel relevant!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

neat coin! :)

thejewk likes this.
  4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

here's my example

Diocletian_London9.jpg

Diocletian
    A.D. 291
    21x24mm 4.4gm
    IMP C DIOCLETIANVS P F AVG; radiate and cuirassed bust right
    PAX AVGGG; Pax stg. l., holding olive branch and transverse sceptre; S-P across fields.
    In ex. MLXXI
    RIC Vii London 9

5. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Nice find!

I spotted one in a Roma large lot a couple years back. Don't recall the cost but I was very pleased to win it.
    Carausius for Diocletian PAX AVGGG London.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I don't have the C mint for Diocletian or Maximianus but an particularly fond of my Carausius GGG from C. These coins often require compromises. This Diocletian has great surfaces but poor centering while the Maximianus has a bold GGG and poor surfaces. Obviously I do not that the triple portrait or I would have shown it first.
    ru3200fd2910.jpg ru3480fd2206.jpg rt3450b00906lg.JPG

7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Nice coins everyone, Doug that Carausius coin is a stunner. I have two Maximian GGGs, both from the London mint, one which is OK condition and the expected Pax, and the other which is an incredibly rare COMES AVGGG type, but is in so poor a condition that it requires some imagination. My pictures are so poor for those that they aren't worth sharing, and I'll revisit them soon.

I have a few nice Carausius coins so far, but no GGG types. The hunt continues.

Edessa likes this.
  8. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very cool to get it fresh from the ground! I have the C mint also:

diocl-caraus C mint.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted