Diocletian Era Nummi with Silvering

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Finding a Diocletian era nummus with lots of original silvering can be a real thrill. Knowing how thin this layer of silvering is & that the coin was protected against the elements for 1,700 years makes them real treasures. I urge anyone who has one of these coins to get it slabbed; they need to be protected. The 1st coin of Maximian is my favorite. The obverse is a needle sharp strike. The 2nd coin of Diocletian is a razor sharp strike on both sides with attractive toning over the silver layer. The 3rd coin of Constantius I as Caesar has well preserved silvering. Does anyone else have well silvered nummi ? Lets see them... IMG_1396 - Copy.jpg IMG_1395.jpg IMG_1399.jpg IMG_1369.jpg IMG_1372.jpg IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

very nice! i still need one of Dio.

4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I have some good ones, but little to no silvering on them! Yours are in virtually as-struck condition - nice!!!

5. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

Severus II - Follis

Obv:– FL VAL SEVERVS NOB CAES, laureate head right
    Rev:– GENIO AVGG ET CAESARVM N N, Genius standing left holding patera & cornucopia
    Minted in Cyzicus (//KA). A.D. 305-306
    Reference:– RIC VI Cyzicus 20a

[​IMG]

Cucumbor, Curtisimo, Ajax and 5 others like this.
  6. Al Kowsky

maridvnvm, your coin is typical of the product that came from the Cyzicus Mint. The quality level from this mint is unmatched by any mint striking nummi. Their coins were round, well centered, & usually struck from fresh dies of artistic merit. Attached below are two nice looking nummi from my collection also struck at the Cyzicus Mint.
    IMG_1356.jpg IMG_1358.jpg IMG_1600.jpg IMG_1604.jpg

Cucumbor, Andres2, Curtisimo and 5 others like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

My Constantius from Cyzicus. I wouldn't slab it in a million years!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 4.19.54 PM.jpg
    I have it ID'd as RIC VI 9a (emission ii), but it's possibly emission iii (11a). The difference is subtle... 9a has a "smaller and higher relief portrait." Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8. Al Kowsky

I've got an example from the same mint & workshop as yours.
    IMG_1419.jpg IMG_1422.jpg

9. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Excellent coins, all around! Really nice style on those Kyzikos coins :). Lovely. I'll be on the lookout for a really good, and fully silvered, one of those.

I do have a Constantius coin from Cyzicus, although not as good as some of the ones here, and not fully silvered.

[​IMG]

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Beautiful coins !
    Still I prefer those big folles patinated, even though I have a few with remaining silvering

[​IMG]
    Galerius, Follis Trier mint, c. AD 303-305
    MAXIMIANVS NOBIL C, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius standing left, head towered, wearing chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera in right hand, left cornucopiae; S | F in field, PTR at exergue
    8.41 gr 28 mm
    Ref : RCV # 14349 (90), C # 83, RIC VI, Trier, 594b

Q

11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I agree with you Q - I love your coin!

Caesar_Augustus and Cucumbor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted