Dimple grade opinions.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by snapsalot, Apr 29, 2012.

1. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Grades and thoughts. TY fellas :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Ahhh god. Where are you getting these coins from? This is AU55 IMO. What is it with the nose scratches? Those apear to be actual scratches. Their is a problem with the LIBERTY, but i think it is a strike issue. This coin is so close to an MS63 I can smell it.

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

where are the dimples?

5. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

lol i must be tired (work was long and feirce today)

I meant DMPL rofl...

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

snaps - dimple is perfectly acceptable. Dimple is a word very commonly used by collectors of DMPL coins.

And yes the coin has so-so reflectivity. But I'm reasonably certain it would never make the designation.

7. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

I was wondering, "What is a dimple?"

Amanda

8. chip

chip Novice collector

If not a dimple (DMPL) could it be a pill (PL)?

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

He meant to say 'DMPL', not dimple.

DMPL is the acronym for Deep Mirror Prooflike. DMPL is pronounced 'dimple' but this is the first time I have seen 'dimple' used to describe a coin.

Morgan Dollars struck from freshly-polished dies often have highly reflective fields and frosted devices and appear to be Prooflike (i.e., may look like a Proof coin). The reflective fields can be mirrorlike and can reflect newsprint (or some other small printing) so that it can be clearly seen and read (if you are good at reading a mirror image) on the coin. If you can read the reflection at a distance of 2" to 4" (that is the coin 2"-4" from the newsprint) the coin would be PL (Prooflike). If you can read the reflection at a distance of 6" the coin would be DMPL (Deep Mirror Prooflike). Both sides of the coin must meet the requirement to be designated PL or DMPL.

Hope this helps.

11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Looks like a regular Morgan to me. Not a PL or DMPL from the picture. It does appear to be an uncirculated raw coin, and a common date. Probably MS 62 or 63.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Just FYI, I would prefer DMPL as the description since a dimple is a type of greek and roman provincial coin where it physically has a dimple in the coin. :)

Thanks and have a great day.

13. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

I dont know if TPG actually give PL or DMPL designations if the coin is in AU and TBH I can not say if it would get graded as MS or AU by a TPG. Its close.

The coin would have to get the DMPL or PL designation though if it made MS. Perhaps it does not look like it because of the brown spot toning but this coin is clear enough to shave with on both sides and both the eagle and the morgan face are ultra white frosty with no real reflectivity.

I never sent in a coin to a TPG in my life. Although with this coin and another two I teeter on the fence on if I should do it. The other two coins being another morgan that is a 1889-S and then a 1834 classic head 2.5 gold piece which would grade between high xf low au and for classic head those bumps could mean thousands.

14. Morgandude11

This is what a real DMPL morgan looks like (bottom of thread):http://www.cointalk.com/t118394-75/
    That 1880s looks like it is borderline Mint State, and DMPL or PL designations are only given to mint state coins. They must have a certain number of inches of reflectivity, and look almost as if they were really proof coins, despite being bushiness strike.

15. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Morgandude11

Yupp....about 4" of reflectivity. Send it off to PCGS. If they agree, you have a PL coin---Definitely NOT enough for a DMPL, as those literally blaze away. I can't say what grade as the lighting is not good enough, but there is some mirror action going on. I'd go for the slab. Worst case is they say NO, and you are out the money.

17. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Are you talking about inches away from the coin that it still clearly reflects images?

If so I'd say its about 4-5 inches for clearness on the obverse but the reverse is about 7-9 inches.

As for slabbing it. It actually seems like a lot of downside no big upside now that I rechecked prices.Unless they went crazy and graded it like MS64 DMPL or MS65 PL (which im sure we can all agree wont happen lol)

I could get like 40-50 for it raw maybe a bit more but I sure won't hold my breath and plan a early retirement. But sending it off for 30 bucks and getting back a coin ill probably get 50-100 for once slabbed seems silly.

Ill just keep this puppy RAW and keep up my no TPG streak going.

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

snap,

To measure the reflectivity of your coin you should use a small size font (e.g., 8 or 9 point like that used in a newspaper) rather than 140 point (or whatever that HUGE printing on the box uses).

19. Morgandude11

Real DMPLS and PLs are selling for a lot more than 50-100. I have no idea where you got your prices, but if there is that much reflectivity, and it comes back as at least a 63, you have a coin that is could potentially be worth $300. Good point about the font size. I see about 4" of reflectivity, which is NO DMPL. However, a coin of that quality deserves a slab anyway, as they are an appreciating asset.

20. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

PCGS price guide.

Ive always found it to be high if anything never low and its price in the PCGS guide is MS62 = 58 MS63 = 85 MS64 = 145 for a PL in this year

21. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

I just checked Feebay too and MS64PL and MS63PL both sell slabbed for about 140-100

Its a nice coin, just seems not very rare in this condition lol.

Draft saved Draft deleted