Dimes full torches...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Jul 30, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Do they look like this? Yes, my photos are bad.
    68 S proof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't take this the wrong way, but dear friend.........photo skills to be honed a tad. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't collect the dimes, but isn't the FT attribution only for uncirculated coins?

Chris

MKent likes this.
  5. green18

Point and shoot camera with macro capabilities will do you.......and lots of practice/shots till ya find the one one that's fitting.

6. MrOrange1970

MrOrange1970 Active Member

I think Chris is correct. My readings on modern coins seem to point to the uncirculated as the FT qualifier. PF's are struck several times to ensure a full strike.

I found a 1969 that had a full strike but a big scratch right across the torch....hence the full package of FT and a great coin is quite elusive.
    That said, I'm a newbie, but until I get a greater appreciation of the ginormous world of coins, I've been focusing on learning about the moderns.

7. DysfunctionalVeteran

Yes, my hands shake. My phone sucks. I sold my macro lens for my camera. My 1 y/o is crying, my 2 y/o peed her pants which isn't normal for her. The dog is barking, ants are starting to come inside and the 6 y/o is roller blading playing hockey.

What were we talking about again?

Insider and Kentucky like this.
  8. MrOrange1970

LOL! 4 kids myself! Believe I hear ya brother! I use a mini tripod, and Xanax when I can't fine the tripod! I've taken so many bad pictures but have read enough posts to understand good pics are everything when asking for opinions.

9. green18

You've just described my life from twenty years ago. Hang in there dear fellow.....things do get better. :)

10. MrOrange1970

My understanding is that the key is the separation of the bands. You'll want to see full separation without interruption. That said, I'm not sure if proofs fall into that category. I'll take a pic of my 69 as an example tomorrow under natural lighting.

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

Do the 65-67 SMS dimes have FT's or are they like the proofs and don't count?

12. DysfunctionalVeteran

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

I do wish to throw my two cents out there in that I believe the full torch designation is only for those intended for circulation. I will also state with relative certainty that full torch designations are applicable to special mint set dimes. Hope this helps!

14. DysfunctionalVeteran

Ok, so the SMS dimes I have could have a good chance of having FT's although my camera can't catch what my eyes see...

I may even have a 1946 P with FT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    MKent likes this.
  15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since when were SMS sets intended for circulation?

Chris

16. robec

robec Junior Member

SMS are like proofs when it comes to FT......no designation.

Insider likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

As has been mentioned, the proof in the OP would not be designated as FS. However, the strike is good: look for a strike like that on a business strike, and that would be a FT coin.

As for the 46 - there appears to be weakness on the lower set of bands, and the verticals are not complete. My understanding is that PCGS only cares about the horizontal bands, but NGC requires both the bands and the fasces to be complete. Your coin does not appear to meet either.

18. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

19. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

PCGS gives the SMS the SP designation and doesn't look like they bother with the FB for those. Kind of surprised NGC goes with MS over SP for those

21. robec

robec Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted