Dime with no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mikeg121691, Jan 18, 2012.

1. mikeg121691

mikeg121691 New Member

I dont know much about coins and just recently received a box of old coins from my dad, i read online that starting in 1968 all dimes where minted in San Fran and marked with a S, but there are some out there with no mint mark, i have 3 dimes(1973,1976,1975) none of them have the S mint mark, are they worth anything or where they minted in Philly?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

read some more an welcome to cointalk, get the red book :hail:

4. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

If you are asking "were they minted in Philly?" the answer is "Yes". Philadelphia did not add mintmarks to coins until later. (Note: War Nickels minted in Philadelphia carry the 'P' mintmark. Lincoln Cents minted in Philadelphia do not have a mintmark.)

5. mikeg121691

mikeg121691 New Member

How can you tell if they are dimes minted in San Fran with no mint mark or if they are just dimes minted in Philly?

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What makes you think they are dimes minted in San Francisco without a mintmark? Are they Proof Dimes without a mintmark?

7. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

Welcome to cointalk!

Mary hall likes this.
  8. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

sent them to ngc/pcgs :hail:

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Actually, starting in 1968 all PROOF coins, for the U.S. Mint Proof sets, were manufactured in San Francisco.

The difference between a proof planchet and a business strike planchet.

10. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

If they are business strikes, they are just minted in Philadelphia. Dimes didn't have P mintmarks until 1979. Proof coins have special details of finish and color.

11. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

12. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The only color on a coin is what some t.v. infomercial company adds to a coin to sell as a rare set.

13. Gamesmen1234

Gamesmen1234 New Member

How can you tell if a coin is a proof coin I am new to the coin collecting

14. Blulit9912

Blulit9912 New Member

I have a couple of dimes neither one has a mint mark one is a 1976 and the other is a 1968 anyone know what they might be worth.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

10 cents each.

Draft saved Draft deleted