Dime-sized silver containing world coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by myownprivy, Feb 18, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

In addition to my investing, I'm looking to start collecting world coins that contain ~90% silver and are approximately the size of dimes and can be purchased close to spot.

For instance, I like:
    Mercury Dimes,
    Australian 6 Pence (1910-1945),
    Canada Dimes (1858-1919), etc.

Do you have some other recommendations for dimes that meet this size and silver content criteria that can be purchased close to spot?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

British 6d and 3d.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In the Netherlands they had silver "dubbeltje" (10 cent) and "kwartje" (25 ct) coins until the mid-1940s. Ag 640 though; diameter 15 and 19 mm. Worn examples can usually be had cheap. :)

Christian

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Before silver in coins was withdrawn in the middle of the 20th C. all the countries I can think of had a coin as described. For thousands of years 'honest' coinage was simply exchanged by weight by international travellers, their home copper, silver and gold for the local copper, silver and gold, with the goldsmith doing the exchage of course taking a cut for himself.
    Thus goldsmiths became bankers.

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Malaya, Straits Settlements, Hong Kong, British Honduras, and a few other Commonwealth nations all had dime-sized (denominated in cents rather than pence) coins, with a few exceedingly rare dates that no one knows about unless they own a Krause.

In Commonwealth, pay close attention for "H" mint marks, they are generally small and inconspicuous.

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

He wanted close to spot though. British Honduras have quite a premium.

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Panama & Philippines too.

9. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that suggestion was WAY off. However, his suggestion of Hong Kong dimes is a good one.

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

11. jaytant

jaytant Active Member

1912-1936 1/4 Rupees from British India can be had at close to spot even in high grades if you find them.. (91.7% silver, 2.91 gms)

spirityoda likes this.
  12. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

But many of them were not 90%.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

But many of them were not 90%.

The OP says 'about' 90% (the little squiggle symbol) and it was not until well into the 20th C that countries started issuing really debased coins like the British 50% silver small change. The US was about the only issuer of exactly 90% silver. 0.925 was more common, but a range of 0.750 to 0.925 would qualify a large number of 19th and early 20th C coins that are inexpensive in circulated grades and are available, if you are lucky with your finds, for around melt value.
    You just have to have some idea what you are looking for and some dealers' odds and ends buckets to search.

14. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I was thinking of 0.833 fine as not being 90% and not qualifying. There is quite a bit of that. Sterling, being higher, does in my mind. Also,the German 1/2 mark was 90% as was that of several South American countries.

15. Sula86

Sula86 Active Member

Panama 1/10 Balboa would be a good one for you to look at. The latter years they were minted are pretty easy to obtain at reasonable prices. The early years will have too high of a premium bc of their low mintage.

16. Hus.thaler

Hus.thaler Well-Known Member

German Empire 1/2 Mark coins (1905-1919) are just a bit larger than a dime and can usually be found in close to spot prices. They are .900 silver.

17. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

Any recommendations on where to buy large quantities of any of these silver coins? There are so many dealers in the U.S. that sell rolls, bags, etc. of junk (90%) silver, and it would be great to have a list of reputable dealers that sell these foreign coins.

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I've bought quite bit on my rare visits to the "local" coin show -100 miles away. I seem to get the best price that way. Otherwise there is nothing to lose by a price comparison of all the standard bullion dealers. Unless you are prepared to bit on a lot of auctions and win very few of them, Ebay will not provide a good place to get good deals in my opinion. It used to be 10 years ago, but no longer.

19. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

With the fineness and denom. settled on the only obstacle would be locating
    said coins. In my area the local dealer rarely receives any foreign silver,copper
    or gold besides a little from Mexico and Canada. Buying bulk lots thru the mail
    increases cost basis. Local shows in this area are a dry well for this type of
    purchase. Any thoughts on locating and purchasing would be helpful.

Draft saved Draft deleted