Dime miss clad layer???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kellyrae18, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Dans Coins

Dans Coins Member

somebody needs a hug......

Mad Stax likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

The lead-off dime appears to have been struck on an improperly annealed planchet. When Cu-Ni clad planchets are exposed to to much heat, the copper and nickel atoms segregate out, with the copper migrating to the surface.

usmc60 likes this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yet you continue to blather on... and on and on and on.

I too have a name for one claiming to be what they're not, which is "fraud", and is exactly what you've shown yourself to be with this incessant idiocy. Your own arguments often directly contradict each other in your never-ending attempt to position yourself as some sort of variety expert, or everyman hero, yet you're oblivious to how utterly foolish you come across as being.

"Keep it simple", huh? The obvious "every day" answer would've been "damage" instead of "pmd" to someone not familiar with coins, no "technical BS" necessary, but as we've all learned the hard way, the obvious escapes you. Try this crazy idea on for size.... "it's a genuine but damaged quarter". Any idiot could understand this, just as any idiot (well, other than one that comes to mind) could understand "plated".

If your threads were really for everyday people, then you'd have the decency not to use confusing terms that are only acceptable in your own mind. It's as simple as that, and as long as you insist on posting the questionable, it is only right that someone counter it.

Now, is the "conversation" really over, or are you going to dwell on it a bit before coming back to throw another little tantrum?

Until next time....

5. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

I don't get it. Simply put, "fake" in every sense means not real. If a real coin has something done to it out of the ordinary it has been "altered". What's so difficult to figure out about that?

6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

You wouldn't let some young buck call a pistol a rifle would you? That's the same way we speak here. There's a difference between a revolver and a pistol. This is place for people to speak about coins knowledgeably. If you go calling a pistol a revolver when it isn't, you're going to confuse a lot of people who don't understand anything about guns. In numismatics, there is a HUGE difference between altered surfaces and fake/counterfeit. Sometimes hundreds/thousands of dollars and a visit from the Secret Service. Not everyone uses the best tact when discussing coins, but that doesn't negate the fact that they speak from a logical standpoint. I suggest you reach down and pull out some of that military bearing (I'm on active duty and spent 25 months in Iraq and Afghanistan so when I say military bearing, I know the true meaning of it) and stop calling people names or getting upset. If you aren't willing to distinguish between altered surfaces and fake/counterfeit, than don't be mad when others correct you.

7. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

You know you're absolutely right. You bring back old memories. All I know as a boot, when another boot made the mistake of calling his rifle a gun. The drill instructor had a very good solution to make sure you never called your rifle a gun again. They were called bins and mothers------- and believe me that's a proper terminology. When someone asked me a question about coins, I tried to keep it is simple as possible. I want that individual to keep that interest, and possibly keep pursuing that interest. If I go all numismatics on them in the beginning, all I see is that white tail come up as their running away. Unfortunately one thing I do not do anymore is advise new people interesting in error coin collecting to come to coin talk. Too many negative responses in every day people telling me they would not come back to coin talk or even considering signing up as a member. And in that case you need to asked them what the problem is. When they tell you it's all the disrespect and verbal assaults on people that make mistakes, or do not agree with one another. That is not a proper learning environment for them or their children. And you know the sad thing about it. Not a one of those people that were interesting in the beginning, and after going to coin talk. Lost their interest altogether. (Sad)So(Sad) I do not mention coin talk at all, in hopes to keep their interest and to pursue it. Don't get me wrong they are a lot a good members on coin talk, that treat new members and other members with dignity and respect. And for those members I do applaud them. And for the others that want to start a lot a crap over one word. All you're doing is chasing people away, and that's sad. I know the beginning of this quote (boot) is going to confuse a lot of the members. And I'll be damned if I'm going to explain it to them so maybe you want to take the time and explain it. lol we all are not as educated as some as you all. Have a nice whatever.:eek::eek::eek::blackalien: PS. You know 86, when I think a fake this is the definition I'm thinking of

fake

verb (used with object), faked, faking.

to conceal the defects of or make appear more attractive, interesting, valuable, etc., 2. prepare or make (something specious, deceptive, or fraudulent1.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  8. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A very pleasant, logical, and well written surprise. I fear it didn't have the impact it rightly should have on a certain someone, but it does, I think, make it clear to anyone reading this what the real issue is, and for that I thank you.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of the reverse as well?

11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm not discounting your statements on some of the way people respond to incorrect terminology or questions. Some of them can be pretty rude. When someone made a thread about coin collecting pet peeves, I actually wrote this "3. People who insult new or upcoming collectors who post what we know to be dumb questions and risk chasing them away from numismatics" here's the link for it:(https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-are-your-coin-coin-collecting-pet-peeves.280634/)

So I agree, but I also disagree.

Remember that just as the military has different terminologies than civilians, so does numismatics. Heck, even between branches, in the Army we call an E6 Sergeant even though we know he's a Staff Sergeant. I did that with a Marine E6 and he promptly corrected me that it's "Staff Sergeant". The dictionary definition for fake is not the same as the numismatic definition. In a numismatic forum like this, it is important that we distinguish between the two. So please understand that I also will be correcting you if you use the word fake instead of altered surfaces, just as I would hope someone corrects me when I confuse die chips for cuds (which I did for quite a while).

I would recommend ignoring those who offend you (I've got several people on my ignore list) and do your best to learn and keep teaching others when they need to learn. Use the right terminology, even if you're not going to explain it, because a newbie needs to learn the right lingo.

And have a great day.

12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

86 your exactly right. In the service you no longer a civilian and you have to conform to the military code. One thing I've learned in over 30 years as a firearms instructor both military and civilian. Keep it simple. And truthfully 86 if I have to talk baby talk. To keep someone interested Then that's what I'll do. I think it is quite obvious for you and other members, I have a problem with old and outdated terminology. And to this day I still do not believe in some of the terminology and believe it should be changed. And to be honest with you and all the other members. My first thread back in December Snow on the roof explains a lot. The only difference between my first thread and now is I don't press the issue. And believe me I still believe there should be a lot of changes made in the terminology. Basically I have a problem when someone tries to make me go down a path that I do not wish to go down. There are conflicts all over this world because of that exact reason. One faction says this is what you should do and the other side says no way that's not what we believe.. Fortunately in the good old USA. Being right Or wrong in others eyes we have that right not to agree with others. And a lot of us brothers and sisters here have defended that right. And as GD pointed out to me this is not a democratic site. It is a dictator site and what he says goes. (So sad)86 you're exactly right new collectors should learn coin terminology. But getting someone interested And keeping them interested is a whole nether ball game. Give you an example. The teller at my local bank asked me why I'm buying a whole box of quarters. I explained to her why I buy quarters. I told her you remember the last box of quarters I bought. I explained to her that I found a bunch of what they called doubled dies. And one retain cud. I explained to her that the doubled dies is worth about a buck apiece and the retain cud I can probably get about $10.. Then she asked the question. How do you know what to look for. At one time I would recommend coin talk. But that's doesn't happen anymore. Instead I tell them that that involves hours of research about error coins. Then I tell her if she wants to see some of the error coins that I have found in the boxes she gives me each month, go on cuds on coins, and Wexler's doubled dies. You know 86, after I finish my business. And leaving the bank, I noticed the teller going through her change rack. That shows me at least I got her interested. How far she wishes to take her interest is totally up to her. Unfortunately on coin talk. Too many members like GD follow the concept it's my way or the highway. (So sad) add-1.jpg :blackalien:

13. Kellyrae18

Kellyrae18 Member

I just bought one, waiting for it to come in the mail

Draft saved Draft deleted