Dime help

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Allensprouse, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Allensprouse

Allensprouse New Member

20190423_174615.jpg 20190423_174539.jpg Hey everyone I was out cleaning my yard today and I found this old dime in the dirt. I can't tell the year on it but i was hoping someone could help me figure out if it's rare or not here's a couple pictures any info you may have would be appreciated.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Because of the Environmental Damage it has received the year has been corroded.

It's a normal damaged Dime.. not rare.

4. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

If you need a coin to loosen a screw, that's the one to use . Then again , maybe not , it might snap off?

Cool colors for such a far gone coin though .

okbustchaser likes this.
  5. Allensprouse

Allensprouse New Member

My lighting was bad here is the dime in sunlight so it can be seen better

Attached Files:

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Great.. Looks more damaged and corroded than before.
    What exactly do you want to know about it? It's in really bad condition :yack:

7. Allensprouse

Allensprouse New Member

Ive never seen a dime that was red before the green is corrosion but the red is the actual color of tge metal why is that

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Extremely corroded by the environment. It's only worth ten cents. 20?? So it's not valuable, never was and never will be.

9. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. As others have said, your coin is badly corroded. Since 1965, Roosevelt dimes are composed of a layer of copper nickel (75% copper 25% nickel) bonded to a core of pure copper. Some of the red you're seeing may be some of the copper showing through or just from the environmental damage.

Draft saved Draft deleted