Dime errors?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimm, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Hi all. I hope I'm right on these dimes. In addition to wear and tear I believe there could be some DD,rpm,greased filled and letters and numbers missing. Help me out plz

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think I'll pass. ~ Chris

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have noticed over the years that Dimes have a lot of Die wear issues. Most of what you see is related to Die Deterioration :yack:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

That one I'm assuming is a '69D is different from the rest, it looks like it was spooned?

I'm more surprised if I find a modern dime without at least one die chip on it. Although I do have pretty good luck finding clashes more so on dimes than any other coins.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Mostly from a tired, worn out, over used Die. Very common.

7. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

How can the first coin, 86 be a worn out die. I clearly see the doubling in it. Wulndt a worn out die leave a light impression

8. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Post a picture of the reverse on the 69 d if you can.

9. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

What is spooned

10. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

I don't take pics of reverse unless I got smtng. It's a pain. I'll get a pic of reverse

11. Double Die

12. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Double Die....your SN is a joke right? "Double"?????

13. Double Die

Yes, on purpose just to irk all of the purists. Seems to work well;)

Clawcoins and MatrixMP-9 like this.
  14. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's not exactly like the feeling I get when I bite into a York Peppermint Patty, but when I see people using incorrect terminology.....well.....I think you get the idea.
    ~ Chris

16. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

U guys r funny. Maybe u should get a job in a circus. Hahahaha. At least ya got a sense of humor

17. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

. Here ya go pal

Attached Files:

18. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

So ... as soon as a die starts getting used it starts to wear (think of a car tire, it doesn't magically go from 100% tread to 20% in one short trip). Then it slowly continues to wear until it becomes unbearable for the quality inspectors and they have the die(s) replaced. At what point of your description in the die wear does the "light impression" occur? and what occurs at all the other "phases" of die wear.

This EXCLUDES any mechanical type of odd visual doubling (the die bouncing, shifting, etc). Deterioration makes the elements (letters, numbers, etc) get enlarged by various means which, for less experienced, looks like doubling.

If you had ALL the coins from a single machine using single dies you could technically put them in order (or batches) of if they were early all the way to when the die was retired.

This is assuming you get all the dimes right after manufacturing BEFORE they enter circulation. Circulation "wear and tear" which may consist of any and everything can cause for deterioration/ wear /damage.

upload_2020-1-3_12-37-56.png

Both sides give us an idea of what is happening with the coin. One side, really doesn't even need a response because we can't see the back side unless it's totally obvious like die deterioration / mechanical doubling, etc.

It's best to take an in-focus, good lighting picture of each coin individually front and back. Yes, it's work but it gives us the proper venue to properly analyze a coin.

The more you slack, the more slack answers you can expect. When you learn more then you won't have to post until you really think you have something.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Mountain Man, Danomite and -jeffB like this.
  19. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

The 19 P because it’s new, and the 91 P MAD, if you like that sort of thing, are keepers...the rest are spenders...Spark

20. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

Thanks. What Clawcoins said.

Draft saved Draft deleted