Dime blank planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JayF, Apr 16, 2018.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

The reed looks like its a partial collar..interesting to say the least.

JayF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Exactly, and that's why I don't know how this can be possible to have some reeding, but be unstruck. By definition, unstruck means the dies didn't strike it, so how could there be pressure to force it in the collar which creates the reeding?

Now concerning why the reeding isn't all the way around the entire coin, that I have seen on genuine, high-grade MS examples. Take a look at this quarter I have from my collection that was struck on a 5c planchet; Part of it has reeding, and part of it doesn't.

0317181216_HDR.jpg 0416182313_HDR.jpg

...However, this coin was struck and would fit in the collar for a quarter being a nickel-sized planchet to at least put some of the reeding on it.

I am still leaning toward the OP's coin being altered, but I really hope it is genuine as it would be super cool.

JayF likes this.
  4. JCro57

The coin in question has much more rounded edges all the way around than the known 2017 example. It would have had to be circulated for a heck of a long time to have that kind of uniform wear, and I don't think it is likely the average person would have kept circulating it being so much different from a stamped example; it would have been taken out of circulation by someone who was curious before having that much wear. I am even more confident now that this is an altered specimen after having left the Mint.

JayF likes this.
  5. JayF

JayF Active Member

This has been with the family for at least 6 years in a 5 gallon water jug. It's part of my father's "collection" which is not much (he's filled it about 2 inches high). The only reason I noticed it was because I was reading an article on if planchets are worth anything and it mentioned date so I was curious how dates are determined on planchets. And I noticed the ridges on the obverse (or maybe reverse) when I checked mine to see if there's anything at all that determines dates. My thoughts was more an error that it has it on the face and that it doesn't have ridges all the way around rather than why it has ridges at all (didn't know planchets don't have them.)

Also, I'm trying to find a video/photos of a collar and how it's done as I'm not familiar with this process.

I'll take it to a coin show next time there's one around me and get more opinions on it. Anyway, THANK YOU! Really appreciate all yours and everyone's comments!

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I initially suspected some kind of grinding. But there is always the possibility of a rarity, and I wish it to be true.
    The weight was spot on. If the obv/rev were ground how much would it weigh, 1.9-2.0g? The polished appearance at the bottom of post #1 was a concern, but I don't see that mirror finish in any of the other photos, except on the rim. And it is odd that the rim would appear polished, that had to happen after it left the mint.
    I am interested to know what an error expert has to say. Has @Fred Weinberg seen this post?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    JayF likes this.
  7. JayF

JayF Active Member

With regards to the mirror finish, could it be a proof planchet ? It's reflective on both sides of the coin.

8. JCro57

No. It does not have the tumbling marks that a blank proof has. Here are a few from my collection (Jefferson nickel, Washington quarter, Ike dollar) with a closeup below each; notice the finish is not the same as the one sitting on your scale.

0417181843_HDR.jpg 0417181830a_HDR.jpg 0417181836_HDR.jpg 0417181831a_HDR.jpg 0417181837a_HDR.jpg 0417181831b_HDR.jpg

JayF likes this.
  9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

JayF likes this.
  10. JayF

JayF Active Member

Show off. Haha jk! Those are nice, I'll take that quarter planchet any day. Thanks for sharing, I didn't know they slab planchets too. I took mine to the only local dealer near me and it's a very small coin shop. He used his loupe and said it's definitely reeded but suggested I send it to PCGS or NGC. I'm not keen on sending this in the mail though, just paranoid I guess and I don't know what value to put for insurance. There's a coin show this weekend and ANACS will be there so I might have them look at it.

JCro57 likes this.
  11. rickmp

Good idea.

12. JayF

JayF Active Member

Yeah, that's what Heritage and the local coin dealer suggested as well. I just replied to Jcro about having ANACS check it out. I'll have a look at that link. Thanks!

13. rickmp

I wouldn't be at all worried using Priority Mail or Registered Mail.

JayF likes this.
  14. JCro57

I would not submit it. It just isn't possible for it to be reeded yet it wasn't struck. Wouldn't hurt to have ANACS view it at the show. I would if it's free!

JayF likes this.
  15. rickmp

The coin lord has spoken.

JayF likes this.
  16. JCro57

I'll tell you what there, Ranger Rick... How about if it turns out to be a genuine unstruck Type 2 planchet with a reeded edge (not a weak strike, die adjustment, PMD, etc.), I will pay JayF's submission fee. If it is not, you pay for it.

17. JayF

JayF Active Member

I contacted James Wiles from CONECA (from rick's link) and he pretty much said the same thing as Jcro. The planchet is real but the ridges were added after it had left the mint. I think that's all I need, saved me some grading money! I don't know why anyone would create this knowing it won't pass the verification test or maybe they don't know how coins are reeded (like me lol).

Again, thanks @JCro57 and to everyone who commented!

JCro57 likes this.
  18. JCro57

Believe it or not, there are some Type 1 blanks (no rim) and Type 2 planchets (blanks that have a rim) that actually can be given either a range of dates or even a specific year.

Some have an exact range of dates because the type of metal and weight were only issued for certain years. For example, a 40% silver business strike and 40% silver proof dollar coin were only minted for Eisenhower dollars from 1971-1976 (no 1975s were stamped).

Some can have a specific year, like an unstamped steel cent, because they were only made in 1943, or an unstamped 40% silver quarter which were only for 1976 bicentennials. I have even seen a 90% silver dollar planchet that was slabbed and dated from (I think) 1924 because someone found an entire roll of unopened 1924 Peace dollars and sent it unopened to either NGC or PCGS, and one of the coins in the roll was unstruck; thus, because it was never opened after leaving the Mint, they knew the exact year it had to be from (though they put the date in parentheses because the date wasn't stamped on it). There are also a few other reasons how they can tell an exact date.

Here are some of my examples:

Screenshot_2018-04-15-18-52-17.png Screenshot_2018-04-18-01-06-44.png Screenshot_2018-04-18-01-09-33.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  19. JCro57

Well, I guess even the "gods" get things right.

And I was actually hoping there was a miraculous chance it could be real, but knowing how the reeding is applied, I just couldn't think how this could be possible, mechanically speaking. The answer is, it can't be possible.

So because everything else appeared legit (weight, size, surface appearance) the only option that was sensible was the reeding was added after it left the Mint, and therefore making it not genuine. It also explains why I said the edges were much more rounded; whoever cut the reeds in there would have left them too squared and unfinished for an unstruck cent, thus they would have had to smooth them out, which then also explains why I saw how the edges looked heavily and unnaturally polished.

I learn things every day, my friend. Read up on things. I highly recommend Mint Error News and other online resources posted on Coin Talk. Research articles written by Fred Weinberg, Jon Sullivan, and Mike Byers if you like error coins. Sign up for newsletters from NGC, PCGS, and ANACS and read articles that are of interest and download their apps to research what the grades look like for coins with their clear photos. Also, old posts and comments on Coin Talk from the moderators and friendly and helpful people like @paddyman98 , @baseball21 , and @V. Kurt Bellman are great as they are all knowledgeable and amusing to learn from.

I also recommend going to coin shows more than anything. Look at things you wouldn't normally buy or aren't interested in as well as what you do like. Whatever you are interested in, read up on it; there are books for every denomination that tell you what to look for and how to educate yourself. For me, I enjoy Mint errors, which is especially tough as not many people collect them and researching prices is a little tougher. Sign up at sites like Heritage Auctions where you can research coins you like, see current and past auction prices, and see HD photos of the coins. Talk to dealers, and especially ones who are passionate about the hobby. I don't trust dealers who aren't personable and don't like being bothered. And I would actually avoid YouTube videos as many of them are just flat out wrong.

This is a fun hobby. Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  20. JayF

JayF Active Member

Yeah, the only reason I held out a bit was because I didn't know how the reeding actually applied, I understood it was done via the collar but I don't know what the device / machine looks like and so I was searching and searching as I wanted to visually see how it works (I'm in the IT field so I'm stubborn that way lol.) But, after getting the same opinion from a professional attributer (no offense), I figured it's not worth chasing anymore.

The reason I keep coming back here is to see what people are actually finding out there, I can easily spot the non-errors simply because I learned how the coins are struck and that helped me a lot in understanding what errors can happen. I skip the 82s and 69s posts once I check the pics posted and move on reading other posts. I can confidently say that I read every post in the What's it worth, Coin chat and Error coins forums.

I do plan on going to coin shows when time permits (single dad here, double job lol) I'm a visual type of person and right now, I don't feel like I've graduated from pennies, so much to learn. I saw some Morgan dollars at the local coin shop today and the first thing that came to my mind is "I'm buying all of them" because they all looked shiny and just looked perfect. So so much to learn, but the good thing about this hobby...time is on my side.

Lastly, this hobby (at least to me) is what you really want it to be, right now, I'm quite happy just finding the 60s and 70s shiny pennies. When I do my weekly $5 CRH, I get excited when I see a memorial ender haha but that's how it is for me.

Ok, last lastly. With regards to YouTube I know what channels you're talking about but there are other channels that are actually informative / educational. I'm currently binging on a channel where the youtuber (he's a buyer/seller) shows him unboxing expensive coins he submits and then does a GTG kind of thing. It's interesting because you can see how PCGS grades different coins. His name is Dr. G, check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the advice and tips, I'll definitely do all of that. And apologies for the long winded reply lol.

JCro57 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted