Digital scales product review

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by snook, Mar 11, 2010.

1. snook

snook Junior Member

I wasn't sure where to put this, mods relocate if necessary.

I collect colonials and error coins and a digital scale became a necessity. I bought a two for one deal off of ebay for $37.99 (two scales for that price) and it looks like a good buy. The brand is DigiWeigh and it weighs in grams, carat, ounces and grains. I compared coins to the values published in the red book and the weights were right on. It comes with two 50 gram calibration weights to check the calibration (it was dead nuts) and recal if you need to. It has a tare feature as well with a backlit screen. The model I got was DW-100AX (100 gram model). It uses two AAA batteries. I'm happy with it so far and looks to be a decent unit for the $$$.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Two for one is always a good thing!!

4. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Sounds like you got a good deal and thanx for the info...

5. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

You want to get rid of the second one or are you going to keep it for a spare. Sounds like you got a good deal. Hope it works for a long time.

6. snook

snook Junior Member

I've already got someone that's arranged a trade, sorry.

7. financeman

financeman Lincoln Cent Connoisseur

Cool, Thanks anyway. :D

8. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Smoke shops usually have a good number of different scales available. I got 1 with a tray measures in pennyweight, grams, OZ, troy OZ etc. Does tare wight as well. Cost $14.

9. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I have the same one. Have had it for a while now. Easy to calibrate every time you turn it on if you choose to. It accurately weighed a 1 grain calibration weight for me at 1.0. That's 0.06 grams.

My 1/2 grain calibration weight didn't register on it. That was too light so there's your real +/- error factor. There's a break point between 0.06 and 0.03 grams that it can't register.

I'd buy another one.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You gave all of the important info about the scale except the precision figure. Is it accurate to .1 grams or .01 grams. $37 for two .1 grams scales is about average, for two .01 gram scales it's a good price.

11. snook

snook Junior Member

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I got the ET Matrix ET-300s off Amazon a few days ago.

It comes with a 100 gram counterweight (though you can buy a complete set cheaply off Amazon if you want more weights). It claims accuracy to 0.01 gram. I've measured a bunch of gold coins and a JFK '64 silver, and it hasn't been off by more than 0.05 grams (1 oz. gold) from the official weight on any coin so far.

So far, so good. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted