Different Faces of Constantius I Chlorus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I'm always on the lookout for rare & unusual portrait coins of the 1st Tetrarchy, with a special interest in the coinage of Constantius I Chlorus. After recently browsing through Peter Burbules' impressive website Akropolis Ancient Coins, I stumbled on a follis I couldn't live without. The acquisition of this follis inspired this thread. Pictured below are some different folles of Constantius I from my collection.

Constantius I was one of four members of the 1st Tetrarchy formed by Diocletian in AD 293. He was born March 31, circa AD 250, in Dacia-Repensis, & died in Eboracum (York), Britain on July 25, 306. He had a distinguished military career & quickly rose through the ranks, becoming Emperor Maximian's Praetorian Prefect. He was later selected as a junior member of the Tetrarchy in AD 293. To consolidate his relationship with Maximian, he divorced his wife (concubine :smuggrin:) Helena, & married Maximian's daughter Theodora. To maintain control of Constantius, Emperor Diocletian confined his son Constantine to his base camp in Nicomedia with limited freedom.

Diocletian's currency reform of AD 295 consisted of a gold aureus struck at the standard of 60 to the pound, a silver argenteus equal in weight & fineness to the Neronian denarius, & a new token billon coin called a nummus (collectors refer to this coin as a follis) weighing about 10 grams, give or take a gram. Diocletian's aim was to end all the provincial coinage used throughout the empire & create a uniform currency that would be accepted anywhere in the empire. Realistic portraiture was replaced by a stylized portraiture of strength & similarity. Despite the overall similarity of of the new coinage different mints had their own stylistic idiosyncrasies, & it's possible to form an interesting portrait gallery from the different mints.

ConstantiusICaesarAECyzicusGenius, #697, Pete.jpg
    Constantius as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck c. 295-296), Cyzicus Mint, 2nd Officina. Billon Nummus: 28 mm, 8.29 gm, 6 h. RIC VI 11a. A rare & unusual feature of this coin is the beautifully engraved beard fit for a Greek god. Photo courtesy of Peter Burbles, Akropolis Ancient Coins.

Auction 2, Lot 230.jpg

Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck AD 296-297) Rome Mint, 3rd Officina. Billon Nummus: 27 mm, 10.57 gm, 6 h. RIC VI Rome 66a. An unusual feature with this coin is the Greek letter gamma being used to designate the workshop instead of a Latin letter o_O. You would expect to see Greek letters from the Eastern mints & not the Rome Mint. Photo courtesy of Tom Callaway, AMCC 2.

r7305b_lrg (3).jpg

Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck circa AD 301-303) Lugdunum Mint (Lyon, France), 2nd Officina. Billon Nummus: 28 mm, 9.61 gm, 6 h. RIC 170a. Rare.
    Ex Freeman & Sear, June 21, 2007. Constantius is depicted in a heroic portrait with a scepter over his left shoulder & a shield over the other.

Constantine I, Heraclea.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck AD 296-298), Heraclea Mint, 3rd Officina. Billon Nummus: 27 mm, 8.18 gm, 12 h. RIC VI 18a. This is a rather brutish looking portrait with an interesting beard.

Constantius I, Sear 14047, AD 195-199.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (struck AD 295-299), Ticinum Mint, 1st Officina. Billon Nummus: 28 mm, 12.11 gm, 12 h. RIC VI 30a. This is an unusually heavy nummus.

Constantius I, London Mint.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, AD 293-305 (circa AD 300), Londinium Mint (London, England). Billon Nummus: 27 mm, 8,99 gm, 7 h. RIC 22. Ex Freeman & Sear, June 21, 2007.

Constantius I as Augustus, Sear 14170.jpg

Constantius as Augustus, AD 305-306, Ticinum Mint (Pavia, Italy) 3rd Officina. Billon Nummus: 27 mm, 10.67 gm, 6 h. Reverse FIDES MILITNM. RIC VI 55a. Scarce.

NGC 2491170-026.jpg
    Constantius as Augustus, AD 305-306, Lugdunum Mint. Billon Nummus: 28 mm, 10.61 gm, 12 h. Notice how the engraver has simplified the nose to two incisions & a dot. RIC 187a. Ex Freeman & Sear, June 21, 2007.

References:
    Coinage & History of the Roman Empire, Volume I, David L. Vagi. 1999
    Roman Coins & Their Values, Volume IV, David R. Sear. 2014
    Freeman & Sear Catalog, Mail Bid Sale, June 21, 2007

CT
    members are welcome to post folles of Constantius I, on this thread :happy:.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

What a great collection Al, congrats

P1180760 chlorus (2).jpg

4. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Just one Chlorus coin for me
    upload_2021-6-23_0-9-49.png

11.13 g 26.2 mm

Constantius I, as Caesar, Æ Nummus. Treveri, AD 298-299. FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, laureate bust left / GENIO POPVLI ROMANI, Genius, towered and nude to waist, standing facing, head turned left, holding cornucopiae with his left hand, patera in his right hand; B- gamma across fields, TR in exergue. RIC 196

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

He was on a Tet too.

[​IMG]
    Constantius I (305 - 306 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Potin Tetradrachm
    O: ΦΛA KωNCTANTIOC K, laureate bust right.
    R: Homonoia standing left, raising arm and holding cornucopia, L Γ = year 3 (294/295)
    8.43g
    19mm
    Kampmann/Ganschow 121.24, Dattari 6070 Emmett 4191.2, Milne 5174

Published on Wildwinds!

6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

the first one is not a follis--

Carthage_14a.jpg

Constantius I
    AD 296- 298
    AR Argenteus
    18mm 2.7g
    CONSTANTIVS CAES; Laureate head right
    F ADVENT AVGG NN; Africa standing facing, head left, holding standard and tusk; at her feet, lion standing left, head right, with bucranium to left.
    In ex. T
    RIC VI Carthage 14a

30a32a.3.jpg

Constantius I
    A.D. 298- 303
    Æ follis
    27mm 9.2g
    CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES; laureate head right.
    SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART; Carthage standing facing, head left, holding fruits in both hands.
    In ex Γ
    RIC VI Carthage 30a/ 32a

Valentinian, ominus1, zumbly and 7 others like this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Al Kowsky .....That's a wonderful looking portrait on the the first photo...Not just the beard, although that's pretty stunning!, but the overall portrayal is one of the best I've seen :woot:. Really like that brutish portrayal on your 4th photo aswell!
    Lovely coins!........A real diversity on the Emperors representation ....Paul

8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

constancarth.jpeg
    Constantius I (293 - 305 A.D.)
    Æ Follis
    O.: CONSTANTIVS NOB CES; Laureate head right.
    R.: SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART; Carthago standing facing, head left, holding fruits in both hands // Γ
    Carthage mint, 298-299 A.D.
    8.4g
    31mm
    RIC VI 30a, p. 427

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm glad Mat posted that Alexandrian tet. I have always wanted one but never made it happen.
    My favorites are pre-reform antoniniani. Constantius was not on the scene that long before the reform so these are not as common as antoniniani of Diocletian and Maximianus.
    Lugdunum
    ru3855bb3122.jpg
    Antioch
    ru3858bb3132.jpg

I am attracted to coins with wear added contrast. Follis of Lugdunum:
    ru3865fd2467.jpg

This post-reform follis of Alexandria bears the alloy mark XXI. Relatively few mints did this.
    ru3885fd0317.jpg

Most of Constantius' folles are as Caesar but, near the end of his life, he became Augustus on the retirement of Diocletian and Maximianus. This one with FIDES MILITVM is from Ticinum.
    ru3930bb1502.jpg

Shortly after his death came a Rome mint fractional follis with eagle.
    ru3923bb3102.jpg

Long after his death, Constantius was part of the 'relatives' series of Constantine I.
    ru3925bb2597.jpg

10. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

That Rome mint is an ex-CA :). Tom's pic is way better.

[​IMG]

I have a real soft spot for Constantius. His nose was just so majestic. I can see where Constantine gets his from.

Constantius I Chlorus
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    294 - 296 A.D., London Mint, null Officina
    11.15g, 28.5mm, 6H

Obverse: FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB C,
    Head of Constantius Chlorus, laureate, right

Reverse: GENIO POPV–LI ROMANI,
    Genius standing, facing left, head surmounted by a modius, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera in right hand and cornucopia in left arm

Exergue: -/-//-

Provenance: Ex. eBay 2019

Reference: RIC VI Lugdunum 17a

Constantius I Chlorus
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    299 - 303 A.D., Carthage Mint, null Officina
    9.75g, 28.5mm, 12H

Obverse: CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES,
    Head of Constantius Chlorus, laureate, right

Reverse: SALVIS AVGG ET CAESS FEL KART,
    Carthage, wearing long robe, standing front, head left, holding fruits in both hands

Exergue: -/-//Γ

Provenance: Ex. CNG Electronic Auction 456, Lot 751 (part of)

Reference: RIC VI Carthage 32a

Constantius I Chlorus
    AE Follis
    [​IMG]
    303 - 306 A.D., London Mint, null Officina
    9.24g, 26.5mm, 7H

Obverse: CONSTANTIVS NOB C,
    Laureate and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: GENIO POPV–LI ROMANI,
    Genius standing, facing left, head surmounted by a modius, naked except for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera in right hand and cornucopia in left arm

Exergue: -/-//-

Provenance: Ex. Ancient & Medieval Coins Canada Auction 1, Lot 143, Ex. James Pickering Romano-Britannic Collection, Ex. CNG Coins

Reference: RIC VI Londinium 37a, Cloke & Toone 3.01.024

Valentinian, ominus1, zumbly and 6 others like this.
  11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's an outstanding sub-collection, @Al Kowsky! Real stunners there!

I have just a couple.

[​IMG]
    Constantius I, Caesar, 293-305.
    Roman billon follis, 9.95 g, 26.6 mm, 11 h.
    Trier, AD 296-97.
    Obv: CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, laureate head right.
    Rev: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera and cornucopiae; A/Γ//TR.
    Refs: RIC vi, p. 183, 218a; Cohen 61; RCV 14035.

[​IMG]
    Constantius I, Caesar, 293-305.
    Roman billon follis, 9.83 g, 26.3 mm, 5 h.
    Antioch, AD 300-301.
    Obv: FL VAL CONSTANTIVS NOB CAES, laureate head right.
    Rev: GENIO POPV-LI ROMANI, Genius standing left, modius on head, naked but for chlamys over left shoulder, holding patera from which liquid flows, and cornucopiae; K/B-V//ANT.
    Refs: RIC vi, p. 620, 55a; Cohen 89; RCV 14069.

12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

13. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Nice and interesting thread. Here's mine like yours @Al Kowsky . It's listed as a rare Follis. The coin was also minted at Lyon- France ( Lugdunum). Ric VI - 150 B.

ConsGenio O.JPG CostiusG R.JPG

14. Al Kowsky

Andres, That's a wonderful high grade nummus with an exceptionally strong & scarcer reverse type than my example :happy:! Your nummus like all the others on this thread from the Rome Mint, except mine, have officina letters in Latin.

15. Al Kowsky

A.O., Nice example from the Trier Mint with the scarcer variety of the head facing left :D.

ambr0zie likes this.
  16. Al Kowsky

Mat, I'm glad someone found an Alexandrian Tet of Constantius, & a strong VF example too, thanks for posting :happy:!

17. Al Kowsky

Victor, Those are lovely examples from Carthage, especially the rare argentius :D!

18. Al Kowsky

Paul, Thanks for the kind words :happy:. That nummus I got from Peter stopped my in my tracks :jawdrop:! I had a much better photo of the Heraclea nummus taken before getting it slabbed that I can't find anymore :(.

Spaniard likes this.
  19. Al Kowsky

Doug, That's a wonderful group of Constantius coinage :jawdrop:! I especially like the XX I example from Alexandria :D. Your Ticinum example is the same type as mine but from a different officina ;).

20. Al Kowsky

Mat, That's a handsome nummus from Carthage, with a very attractive patina :cool:.

21. Al Kowsky

C.A., Thanks for the extended provenance on the Rome Mint nummus :happy:! I like your London Mint examples. There is a certain charm with the London Mint coinage that's hard to put into words :rolleyes:....

Caesar_Augustus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted