Different circulation finds

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by mikep, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Was the recipient of a little Christmas Magic while shopping today :)

Got this crisp $5 Star Note and later on in the day while shopping elsewhere, when the cash register drawer opened I saw an old $10 bill on top and asked if I could get it...then there was another underneath...and another...ended up with six of them.. a couple of 1950-Ds, a few 1963s and a 1963-A... even found a 1988-A $20 today in nice shape (but didn't post a pic)

[​IMG]

Legomaster1, NOS, Michael K and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

D'oh!! I just realized that I forgot to mention that one of the 1963 $10s in the above picture (the one that's hidden at the top) was actually a Star Note

xmas-star.jpg

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Great find :) , has some condition issues but still :)

NOS likes this.
  5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

6. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Got this 1950 $10 bill in change today.. as the cashier was handing it over, she pulled it back to look at it for a second then after she gave it to me asked how old it was :)

Kinda worn so most likely gonna spend it tomorrow but still get a kick out of finding them out in the wild

1950-10.jpg

7. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They still produced 1950 notes for a number of years after 1950. However, this one does not have a letter A, B etc. So maybe not.
    It was very common to find these in circulation the 1970's. $10 was still an amount of money in those days, and the ten was the least used bill (of the 1,5,10,20) so I don't think they wore out as quickly as other notes.
    That being said it's probably at least 50-60 years old. Steve in Tampa had posted
    some dates of how long after the date on the bill, the notes were still being produced. Sometimes notes are stashed away, and when they are discovered years later, they are just spent.

9. SteveInTampa

Got this in change today. It might have been more believable if they used a green pen.

Hey look, it’s a Star note !

9492DEAD-D60B-4DB4-93AA-401A7029AD77.jpeg

George McClellan likes this.
  10. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Got this couple weeks ago. Just a used 69d 20190205_101316.jpg 20190205_101245.jpg

NOS likes this.
  11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

12. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

It's had a hard life. Lol. Only kept it cause it's the oldest from circulation. If i find something older, then this goes toward something a lil nicer.

13. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Nothing really to see here (apologies for making you look).., just the first 2017 Note I've ever found and it was a Star Note so...here it is :-/

2017-Star.jpg

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any Munchins in circulation.
    But then again I have only seen 2 quarters that came out last August and zero that came out last November.
    New Mexico is the step child in currency circulation release points.
    New Mexico? That's not even in the United States.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Interestingly, Albuquerque is where I found my first 2017 note. I had dinner with my cousin at Elephant Bar off of Louisiana Boulevard in November. He was given change, to which I noticed one of the $1 notes had unusual signatures. I realized it was likely a 2017 so I swiftly exchanged it with him; it turned out to be a note from the H-A block. I still have it being it was my first one found from the series and was found in New Mexico.

I've found I'd say 25-30 2017 $1 notes since then and one $20 2017 note. They are turning up with increasing frequency as I now find one out of every 200 or so $1 notes that I go through.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Michael K likes this.
  16. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

17. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

While organizing a pile of Star Notes I found this one with a 608k Print Run.. I've never seen that number before.. it's always 320k or 640k or 960k etc... 608k seems like such a random number for a print run..

608.jpg

18. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Unfortunately this note is almost worn out otherwise I probably would have kept it.. I know most collectors are interested in low serial numbers but I have to imagine that high serial numbers are much less common because every series begins at zero but how many runs actually make it all the way up to the 999s and beyond? I don't think it happens too often since I've only ever found two notes beginning with three 9s

$5-999.jpg

NOS likes this.
  19. SteveInTampa

The note above, 2003 $5 DL99963652A, was cut from a BEP issued sheet. Standard circulating serial numbers for this series and denomination end at serial number DL96000000A.

NOS likes this.
  20. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Interesting , thanks for the reply. I think that's what was said about the other 999 note I found years ago :)

21. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Nothing special here, just an "almost" with a whole lotta 9's and a birthday Star Note for someone about to turn a hundred next year...

_birthday9s.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted