difference between maundy 3 pence and normal silver 3 pence

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by enochian, Aug 9, 2013.

1. enochian

enochian silver eater

I have a 1893 threepence and a 1917 threepence and was reading about coins from the uk. they said maundy could be indicated by a 3 with a crown over it on the reverse. I thaught all of the older three pences had threes with crowns.

also what is a maundy coin anyways?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

For many years, the design of maundy coinage was the same as the circulating issues.

As far as maundy itself, perhaps wikipedia can explain it better.
    Royal Maundy /ˈmɔːndi/ is a religious service in the Church of England held on Maundy Thursday, the day before Good Friday. At the service, the British Monarch or a royal official ceremonially distributes small silver coins known as "Maundy money" (legally, "the Queen's Maundy money") as symbolic alms to elderly recipients. The coins are legal tender but do not circulate because of their silver content and numismatic value. A small sum of ordinary money is also given in lieu of gifts of clothing and food that the sovereign once bestowed on Maundy recipients.

4. enochian

enochian silver eater

well maundy coins have higher value both of the coins i listed have the same reverse with a 3 and a crown on top of the 3

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There is no difference between business strikes and maundy coins in most cases. That's because maundy coins were taken from the business strike runs, put in their bags, and given to the recipients. Only in more modern years, after silver stopped being used, is there a difference.

However, there are many occasions when coins are offered for sale as maundy coins from older monarchs, when they are not maundy coins, especially on ebay. This practice has been going on for years.

So how do you tell the difference when there is no difference ? You have to know your coins is how. For example, George I ruled from 1714 to 1727. But he only issued maundy coins in 2 of those years, 1723 & 1727. George III ruled from 1760 to 1820, but he only issued maundy coins in 12 of those 60 years. The list goes on.

DEA and jello like this.
  6. enochian

enochian silver eater

thank you very much

7. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Maundy coins are four ,three,two and one penny.the number of men and women receiving the Maundy money is the same as the age of the sovereign and the number of pence given is the same.the coins are specially minted,and are very small silver-----a very interesting numismatic subject the book silver pennies and linen towels by dr robinson tells all

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The only ones specially minted are those minted after Great Britain stopped using silver in the circulation coins of the same denomination.

9. wyvern

wyvern Active Member

Maundy service 1731-held in whitehall-48 poor men and women (the kings age ) received boiled beef,shoulders of mutton and bowls of ale,plus 1 ling,1 cod,12 herring 4 loaves of bread,plus shoes ,stockings ,linen and woollen cloth.leathern bags with 1 penny.2 penny,3 penny 4 penny pieces of silver and shillings to each about 41.service performed by archbishop of York who washed the feet----------a nice hand out I think

Draft saved Draft deleted