Difference between FB and FSB?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pi man, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

What is the difference (if any) between the titles Full Bands and Full Split Bands? I have always thought them to be the same, but I think I may be wrong.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

It might have a lot to do with who is writing the criteria for the term and what it applies to. For most collectors it just means more money for some of the coins.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're not wrong, they are the same. FSB is a bit older of the two terms and was more commonly used years ago, but when the TPGs came along they started using the shortened term FB on the slab labels. People gradually picked that up and started using that version of the term more often.

It's pretty common for terminology and word usage in all aspects of life to change as the years pass, been that way since the dawn of time and doubt it will ever change.

5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I agree with Doug.

6. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

So there's no added premium for FSB over FB. Got it. Regarding mercury dimes, is it determined by the 2 horizontal bands in the middle of the ax?

7. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

At PCGS that is the case.

8. GDJMSP

And NGC requires all 3 bands be clearly split and unbroken.

9. Slider

Slider Member

Interesting. I always assumed it had to be all three bands to be considered split bands. Didn't realize that TPGs treated them differently.

10. GDJMSP

The same thing is true of all the special designations. And in every case, NGC has tougher requirements than PCGS does.

11. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

So maybe FB, FSB, and FT do mean something different at different places?

12. GDJMSP

Both NGC and PCGS use FB on their slabs, but they each have distinctly different criteria for the coin to be worthy of the designation. But in both cases the designation is supposed to mean the same thing, Full (Split) Bands.

So can you say that FB means one thing at NGC and something else at PCGS ? Yes, definitely. Think of like this. For PCGS to say that a glass is full of water, the water only has to be within 1-3 inches from the top. For NGC to say the glass is full, it has to be full to the rim, anymore and it would overflow.

Draft saved Draft deleted