Dies of the Same Hand?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ancientnoob, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Maybe. But those are both beautiful coins.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

No clue, great coins and pics though.

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Hey, Dude, you are moving into Numismatics... LOL. :D Gimme some History...

But the coins are beautiful!

Ancientnoob likes this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow, the style VERY similar isn't it?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  7. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I see nothing compelling. What do you see that suggests it?

Insider, stevex6 and TIF like this.
  8. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

I agree with 4to2 - what is suggesting to you that these are the same hand? Works of art can linked together or to certain artists by focusing on minute diagnostic details - the curl of an ear, the thickness of a serif. Larger aspects of the design could be a result of using the same model, or simply the hallmark of the more general style. The methodology itself was pioneered by Giovanni Morelli in the 19th century and later applied by John Beazley to Greek painted ceramics. It is a bit risky to apply to numismatics. Many of the details on coins would have been officially standardized by the issuing authority, making it difficult or even impossible to determine a particular engraver.

IMO, unless you can point out distinct diagnostics and demonstrate their repetition throughout a series of dies (ie, this needs to be done AFTER a complete dies study), then you can't prove much.

9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

The portrait looks very similar, but I've had too much paleography pushed in my head to ignore the writing. Some of the letters look similar, but the very different 'o's makes me think two different people. Also the 'E's - the first coin has a long ligature at the top, whereas the second coin has a long ligature on the bottom. (Although I'll admit that carving dies and writing are two very different skills...)

10. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

Thank you. I got lazy and you just taught me some new things.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  11. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Thanks for the insight guys. I didnt realize it at first but it did look uncanny in the similarity between the bust of Roma and that of Diana. The relative size, shape of the cheek and jaw line, the height of the relief as well as the relative positions of all the features of the bust. I was think the obverses were done by the same person but like you all stated it might be impossible to know for sure with reasons given.

I thought it was enough to at least ask the question.

12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

What a noob

;)

Ancientnoob and ValiantKnight like this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We have trouble seeing the difference between the same hand and a style similaity caused by both cutters being trained in the same 'school' that certain things are done certain ways. I enjoy looking for similarities like this but am never absolutely sure I know what I'm seeing. Some things could simply be two cutters each trying to please the master by cutting the nose the way he likes it done. I agree there is a possibility but see it as unprovable either way.

14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The things I noticed were the lips and the nose...but then again, she might have had a nose job.:)

Ancientnoob likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted