Featured Die Maker’s Hash Marks on a 1797 Half Dime

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmilton, Jun 10, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Recently @Eduard posted pictures of a very nice group of early U.S. dimes. I mentioned that the 1797, 16 star dime had hash marks under the stars. The die maker etched these small marks into the die face so that he could position the stars on the coin properly.

In the early days of the U.S. mint, an additional star was added to the obverse of the silver and gold coins each time a new state was added to the Union. When Tennessee joined the Union on June 1, 1796, the number of states reached 16. At that point, Chief Mint Engraver, Robert Scot, came to the conclusion that there was not enough room on the coin to add more. He cut back the number to 13 in honor of the 13 original states on the last half dime die he made in 1797. The 1797 half dime is the only coin that had 15, 16 and 13 star varieties on the obverse in a single year. Here are examples of the three coins in the order in which they were issued:

The 15 star coin was issued first

1797 15 St Half Dime.jpg

Then came the 16 star coin

1797 16 St Half Dime.jpg

And the 13 star coin was last

1797 13 St Half Dime.jpg

If Tennessee was admitted to the Union in 1796, why didn't any of the 1796 coins have 16 stars? The answer had to do with mint procedures. Robert Scot produced dies ahead of time. He made them with the first three digits of the date punched in with the final number to be added when the die was placed in service. The 16 star dies were not used until 1797.

Evidence of this can been seen from the three coins shown above. Note that the second "7" in the date is different from the first one on the 15 and 16 star coins:

Sorry about the quality of this photo on the 15 star piece, but I don't have access to my coins to take a better photo. The second "7" on this piece is slightly smaller and does not have a serif.

1797 15 star Date.jpg

It is much clearer on this photo of the 16 star coin. The second "7" is larger.

1797 6 star date only LM3.jpg

On the 13 star variety, the "7s" were appearantly entered with the same punch in one operation. They are too large for the coin (probably intended for dimes) and the same size.

1797HalfDime13O.JPG

Getting all 16 stars on the die had to have been a challenge for Scot. Although it's much more obvious on the 1797, 16 star dime, hash marks are visible on the 1797, 16 star half dime as well. Note the undertype on the star next to the "Y." I once owned a 1797, 16 star dime, but I sold it when I upgraded the coin in my type set. Unfortunately, you can't afford to keep everything.

1797 16 star LM-3 hash mark O.jpg

Small details like this don't mean very much to most collectors, but if you collect a series in detail, it provides you with some insights as to how the early U.S. coins were made.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Good to know. Now I need to see if I can afford any of those before my retirement in 2050 :)

YoloBagels and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

johnmilton, posted: "...I mentioned that the 1797, 16 star dime had hash marks under the stars. The die maker etched these small marks into the die face so that he could position the stars on the coin properly." o_O

Interesting theory but for now, I don't buy it. ;)

5. johnmilton

Okay, what's your theory. I wish I had super close-up photes of the 1797, 16 star dime. Maybe I can get some from "Coin Facts."

6. johnmilton

Here is a 1797, 16 star dime from "Coin Facts." Note the undertype below the stars especially on the right side.

1797 16 Star dime MS66.png

7. Insider

Nice example of some recut stars.

Now, I will give your theory some support but not in the case of these coins. I have seen marks on coins that resulted from marks on the die used to line up parts of the design.

8. johnmilton

It has taken me over 45 years to form this collection. I started this collection with an 1800 "LIKERTY" half dime in the mid 1970s. When I was young, I felt the same way you did when I saw what the older collectors had.

GeorgeM, micbraun and Insider like this.
  9. johnmilton

When I owned the 1797, 16 star dime, years ago, I could marks with thin lines under the stars that were definitely not repunched stars with a 10X glass. The coin is gone, and I don't access to one, but I know what I saw.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

@johnmilton another nice writeup. Thanks for the post and information. Scot did an amazing job getting the 16 stars on the coin, IMO.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I see the marks are the remains of previously lightly punched stars as well. On SOME coins (as Insider says not this one) you will see "lay out lines" where a compass was used to lightly scribe arcs on the die face to aid in the placement of stars or letters. (This is also where the center dots came from. The dot is the anchor point for the compass.)

Insider likes this.
  12. Nick Zynko

Nick Zynko ZmanFla

John, you are a “Numismatist Extraordinaire” ! For those reading this post and don’t know a lot about Robert Scot, a quick scan of his Wiki page will enlighten you. He designed most every American Icon we know today of that error. Think bank notes, currency, paintings and coinage. The very first renditions of lady Liberty and our American Eagle. He did some amazing war scenes of the revolution. He was a Scotsman trained in Edinburgh as a line Engraver (Hint about alignment marks). Immigrated to America and became arguably the best coinage/ Plate engraver in the World at the time as nothing out of Europe came close to his work.

"INSIDER_Interesting theory but for now, I don't buy it." - OK-Now look at your pinky finger, the round pad of that fingertip is the size of a half dime. Imagine trying to get that amazing engraving onto a dye. There is an argument for hubs of the time but it is still believed the first dyes were by Scot’s own hand. Of course marks were used for centering and star alignment but the trick was to erase them during before the coining process. I am 100% sure Scott’s assistants missed a few marks on the few dyes used in those times. The exact reason John had seen what he had seen of a few of the examples.

Needless to say Half Dimes from that era were incredibly expensive and hard to find even in the seventies. They were the first of the circulating coins. Jefferson himself collected and spent the very first ones. They are coveted by collectors and Museums. To have a single one is rarity; to study and assemble a variety collection says a lot about the collector!

johnmilton likes this.
  13. Insider

Nick Zynko, replied: "INSIDER_Interesting theory but for now, I don't buy it."

OK-Now look at your pinky finger, the round pad of that fingertip is the size of a half dime. Imagine trying to get that amazing engraving onto a dye. There is an argument for hubs of the time but it is still believed the first dyes were by Scot’s own hand. Of course marks were used for centering and star alignment but the trick was to erase them during before the coining process. [:D I am 100% sure that Scott did not need to place "gouges" into a die (that look like repunched stars) to line up his design.] I am 100% sure Scott’s assistants missed a few marks on the few dyes used in those times. The exact reason John had seen what he had seen of a few of the examples."

PS Just because I disagree with johnmilton's theory does not take away from his accomplishments.

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't know as much about the half dimes, but I do know there are several die varieties of bust halves where engravers marks and templates are still visible. This 1829 half is one of the most obvious - note the circle arcing across most of the top, showing where the dentils were supposed to be (and no, this is definitely not a die crack):

JPA970 obverse.jpg

NSP, Nick Zynko and johnmilton like this.
  15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I already know I won't be able to afford those at all! At least not good ones anyways! :D

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I agree. The stars look like they were originally punched unevenly and crooked, partially removed, and then repunched. They do not have the appearance of score marks.

Draft saved Draft deleted