Die gouges in Lincoln shield 2015

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RBBDoughty, Feb 13, 2016.

1. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

I'm not a Lincoln collector, but I thought these die gouges in the shield were very interesting!

Russ

24642673439_3b05066975_k.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Are those the same coin?

4. RBBDoughty

Yes, just different lighting techniques.

5. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Good eye Russ. You want something like this as well.

S20160209_006.jpg S20160209_005.jpg

Insider and RBBDoughty like this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Info please...gouges in a die should be raised on a coin. All I can see are hits INTO the coin's surface. Where are the die gouges and how many are there to look for?

7. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

I think the OP is talking about die crack I see on the top of the shield, left side. On the rim of the shield.

8. RBBDoughty

There are die gouges in the R of PLURIBUS and the second U in UNUM.

9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

No, that's PMD.

Insider likes this.
  10. Insider

That is a different coin, with neat die cracks.

IMO those marks are where something hit the coin after it was struck, If they INTO the surface or RAISED on your coin?

11. RBBDoughty

They are PMD.

Insider likes this.
  12. Insider

Well keep looking and good luck!

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I see those two marks. They look to go under the letters. Help me understand how that is PMD. Are the marks above or below the field of the coin? Images play tricks on my eyes.

14. Insider

They play tricks on everyone's eyes. I don't have time now but will explain how to tell later. In the meantime someone will probably reply.

For now, the best thing for you to learn: Get a shield cent, look at it, think what the die that made it looks like and then "in your head" hit the die and imagine what the struck coin would look like.

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Insider. I understand this better than you but you seem to look down on everyone. The marks go under the raised letters. Read what is said before you disagree with it. That's not PMD. If it were, the marks would go over the raised letters. Do you see the marks going over the raised letters? You need to think about that for a bit.

With that said. To me the OP images make the marks look raised above the shield. That would mean that they were on the die. If my eyes are wrong and they are not raised, it would mean that the marks were there when the coin was struck.

Someone tell me how PMD is even a possibility.

16. Insider

The OP has the coin. The OP said his coin is PMD. I tried to help you with this BECAUSE IMAGES can be deceiving. I thought they were TOOL MARKS MYSELF at first UNTIL I took out a Shield cent, looked at it and did some thinking.

If you wish to apologize to me for making me feel really, really bad :bigtears: I'll continue. Otherwise I'm sorry I cannot help you with this.:facepalm::banghead: and another member can TAKE SOME SERIOUS TIME OUT OF THEIR LIFE to help you out because I'm a very slow typist.

PS I don't look down on anyone here. I feel sorry that many of them have not had the opportunities I have had in this business so I am spending lots of time on CT trying to pass MY EDUCATED OPINIONS (along with many others here who know some stuff) to the UNINFORMED. We all had to learn the characteristics of coins, what they look like, and how they grade to survive with the sharks!

So while you were feeling attacked by me and questioning the opinions of the OP and other posters here, I attended a grading seminar this weekend to polish up my skills. We studied the characteristics found on coins and dies and what happens when you put both together. Perhaps you should attend a class sometime.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Russ
    Please join in. Do these marks go under the lettering?
    24642673439_3b05066975_k.jpg

18. RBBDoughty

Larry,

I have to apologize on this thread; I was wrong. The legend within the shield is incuse; that is why the scratch appears to go under the letter. It is in fact a couple of hits going over the surface of the coin.

As you know, my eye is trained for IHCs in particular. The incuse lettering used on the modern designs gives me that optical illusion. It does not help that the hits or scratches look EXACTLY as I'd expect a die gouge to appear.

Russ

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  19. Insider

:arghh::yawn:

:bookworm:;)

20. Insider

Absolutely NO APOLOGY necessary. Your question made me think. It also provided much enjoyment when I discovered that those marks that looked 100% like tool marks in the die that were transferred to the coin were actually "hits." For me it was just like solving those old wire puzzle toys from the 50's.:joyful:

Thanks for the post!

21. RBBDoughty

Let me explain a bit further what is seen here in the image. The light source is coming from the top. The shield is a raised device, so you can see a white highlight at its top. The same is true for the band that goes across the shield.

The letters are incuse, and that is why their tops appear black and the bottoms white. The incuse and raised areas of a coin will catch light in different ways, and this photo exhibits that pretty nicely.

What I thought are gouges are not. This can be judged simply by observing the placement of the light source. If the scratches were gouges, there would be a band of white on the top side - not the bottom.

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted