Die crack?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by elijahhenry10, Jun 1, 2012.

1. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I have been wrong MANY times before, but this seems like it is the most logical explanation. The area in question is at the very bottom of Jefferson's bust. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

It is difficult to see the details in your photograph. However, if you see a crack (raised metal on your coin) on the base of bust, then it is probably a die crack. The base of Jefferson's bust is an area that tends to fatigue. Also, the top of Jefferson's head has a tendency to fatigue.

See if you can get a better photograph of the crack. BTW, this subject might get more attention if it were posted in the error coin section of CT.

4. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Alright, I'll try to take another picture, but there is only so much you can do with an iPhone and a $5 magnifying glass. I'm thinking thy it is a die crack though. Do you know if the value would increase at all if it would happen to be a due crack?
    Thanks

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I suspect that the added value would be very little (perhaps $2 - $3 premium?) to an error collector because it appears to be a very minor die crack.

I further suspect that the value added to a regular collector would be nothing or negative because they would probably be looking for a perfect example for their collection.

6. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

If I hover over it till the picture appears, and then click twice on that one, it really enlarges it a lot. Looks like a die crack to me.

7. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Here is another picture that should be bigger. Even if it doesn't add any value I am quite happy with a near perfect 40-S from roll searching :)

dc.jpg

8. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Yep thats a crack.
    That's an awfully nice Jeff to find in a roll if that's where you found it, congrats.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Die crack........nice find........:)

10. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Thanks guys :). I dont know if someone is slowly putting their near uncirculated nickels into circulation around me or what, but I have found a 39, 46 D, 40 and this 40 S all quite recently in about the same condition or better.

11. ultralight

ultralight Member

That is a nice Jefferson nickel. I would like to point out that more than likely, it would have zero premium, even to an error collector. Die cracks of this size are common on most coinage.

12. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I would probably keep this coin anyhow, just because it's one of my nicest finds from circulation, and it's the only coin I own that has a die crack (that I know of)

13. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

Reminds me of a time many years ago when I worked for a department store (known back then as a "five and dime"), and for a couple of weeks, someone was spending someone's collection at face value. Luckily, I was friends with the lady in the cash office and she would pull me in to the office when she saw interesting stuff come through. I picked up a lot of silver and mid-20th century stuff! It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

14. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

I'm just waiting to get a roll of half dollars that someone took to the bank because they didn't want any of those 'dirty coins from the 1800s' :)

15. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

While I have everyones attention, I figured I might as well post the reverse and ask a question about it. Does anyone know why there is hardly any detail right above the pillars? I don't know if it is from wear or if it is weakly struck. Thanks
    1940 S.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted