Die Clash, bad pictures, and double dies.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by GH#75, Mar 17, 2021.

1. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

The title sums everything up pretty well. My camera was acting up, and my microscope was out of battery so light is low. And they're a type button batteries that you can't find in stores. So I'll have to order some. But found this tonight, and am going to see what you say with these pictures. Not absolutely TERRIBLE pictures, but still... Bad. And I don't want to wait until next week to post this when I get new batteries.

So anyways, found this during a CRH. In the same box as the 1869 indian head I posted about a while ago. It has a die clash on obverse and reverse, and that is cool in itself. But on closer inspection, it looks to be doubled as well. If you can't tell from the photos if it's doubled or not, I will probably re-post it with better pictures when I get the chance.

IMG_20210317_205048882.jpg IMG_20210317_205318193.jpg

Here is a picture you can see the die clash easier... Clearer in hand than pictures. See "ity" of liberty.
    IMG_20210317_205030752.jpg

And here is the possible doubling. I think it might be a later die stage of the 005 on Variety Vista. Take a look:
    IMG_20210317_205746586.jpg PSX_20210317_212221.jpg

Purple image because like I said... Camera was acting up.
    (Die gouge)
    IMG_20210317_210701043.jpg

Everything seems to match up in hand except for the larger die clash and die gouge.

For the doubling on "Liberty" look on the first "L". Left side. The "I" has the same characteristics, but camera didn't catch it well enough to see. T in the end of Trust should be fairly obvious.

If this is a double die, it would be my first.

@Fred Weinberg, @paddyman98

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing a true doubled die wait for more opinions though,I found my first indian CRH today:):). 20210317_132655.jpg 20210317_132700.jpg

GH#75, JeffC and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Fun clash! I'd need better photos to figure if you have a DDO there. Take photos the same size/crop found at the attribution site. Separate ones of the markers as necessary.

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

6. GH#75

Just wait for better pictures before deciding. It's pretty clear in hand, I just need to figure out how to get better pictures of it.

I am taking close ups through a loupe, but it won't focus for some reason. It's really annoying I was trying to get it to work for at least 20 minutes. I'll try again later today.

Nice find.

7. GH#75

Just to clarify a little, that place I'm seeing the doubling is on the top of the last T in trust, you can see the forked appearance as if something was stamped above it. An on the L and I, the same forked appearance is there, except it's leaning left. That's what appears in variety Vista in 004 and 005.

The white line is where I see the "forking" appearance and where the doubling is.
    IMG_20210317_205746586~2.jpg

Here is a normal picture to compare. If you still can't see anything, no worries! I'll post better clearer pictures later.
    IMG_20210317_205746586.jpg

8. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

9. Rick Stachowski

10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

11. Rick Stachowski

Something like that
    It's correct term is Master die obverse

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

A couple points:

Taking photos through a loupe will oftentimes bend an image. We see that in your photo.

Often times, high magnification is unnecessary. A good clear shot taken at the optimal distance between the coin/subject area with just enough zoom to fill your phone's screen without getting grainy/pixelated is generally enough.

Many times we see photos from newbies that are otherwise, too grainy and out of focus under the theory that viewers 'need' super magnification. Some will concede that if it takes that level of magnification...it's probably not worth the effort. To the avid varieties collector, it just draws out the process...but they'll hang around to find a conclusion. Have another go at the photos. I've probably shown this setup a few times in the past month, but it may be useful. Note that in this setup, I'm taking a full coin shot. Pretty much including a full shot of the obverse and reverse will help especially with finding quick diagnostics. When taking closeups, I stack pill bottle caps to a height optimal for the level of zoom I'm using. If you use all the zoom in your phone's camera...you probably past the point of no return. setupcu.jpg setupcu2.jpg setupws.jpg

dlts and GH#75 like this.
  13. GH#75

I will do that today. But it might take a while to find the right height.

14. GH#75

Well @Kevin Mader, I tried that and still can't get a better picture than I already have through the loupe. Batteries for my loupe will be here on the 24th, so expect another thread from me then.

Btw, this is what the loupe pictures should look like.

IMG_20210125_193159247.jpg

Kevin Mader likes this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

With plating issue being so high on this year, I'll wait until OP can post better photos. Also, if you have a Batteries Plus in your area, they probably have the batteries you need.

16. Kevin Mader

This looks better and with a little softening of the light (white plastic bag/coffee filter/anything that lets indirect light through) you should be able to get to a real solid spot. But this might be the nickel you posted in another thread. Take some shots of your Lincoln. We can help.

17. GH#75

Already orders some. We don't have a battery plus store in our area though

18. GH#75

This shot is through my loupe... I'll try the plastic in-between though. That's a good idea. And you can't really help until I get better pictures, which I will. 24th is the shipment date.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  19. Kevin Mader

I used the loupe magnifier early on, but unless you are dead center, you end up bending the photo. I bought an inexpensive AmScope and take pictures through the eye piece these days when I go for the magnified shots. I bought the simple AmScope over other possible candidates, many more expensive, but for CRH events, it proved to be worth the investment (around $100).

GH#75 likes this.
  20. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

nice clash!

Draft saved Draft deleted