Die cap proof?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jason yarber, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Hello I have a 1963 die cap obv but I'm trying to figure out if I have a proof coin or not if u guys could help with some input I'd appreciate it ty I've attached pics

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What makes you think this is either a die cap or a proof?

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Business strike.. Not a Die Cap

Just a normal Cent

5. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

It's die capped because the letters and date are turned into the coin and it's shaped like a bottle cap just not as deep as some theres more than. Three points that meet criteria for die cap error

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It looks like a descent 63 LMC.
    Did you find it coin roll hunting?

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. Not on your Cent

8. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Uwell thank u but im holding it in my hand it's definitely a die cap the letters are turned up into the coin and is concaved and has the shape of a bottle cap so how is not a die cap as far as it being a proof idk how to tell thats why I'm asking

9. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

No found in some change

10. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

thank u but im holding it in my hand it's definitely a die cap the letters are turned up into the coin and is concaved and has the shape of a bottle cap so how is not a die cap as far as it being a proof idk how to tell thats why I'm asking not sure how much u know bout coins u need to look again I'll attach a CPL more pics if the letters are turned into the coin and it's concaved and has the shape of a bottle cap it's a die cap right? Well that's this coin

Attached Files:

11. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Yes this cent I don't know if u can't see in pics but here's some more I'm holding and can see it's concaved and shapes like a bottle cap I may be new to this but blind sorry if that sounds rude not my intention but here's some more pics

Attached Files:

12. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

No the coin is concaved I'm holding it right now it's definitely concaved and meets the criteria for a die cap error here's some more pics I don't mean to sound rude not my intention I may be new to this but not blind

Attached Files:

13. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

I didn't post because it's a diecap I know what the coin looks like it's concaved and letters are turned in nto coin and it's shaped like a bottle cap just not as deep but I appreciate ur opinions my only question was is it a proof and how to tell maybe u guys can share ur definition of a die cap cause I've for sure read all the definition and it 100% die cap I just wanted to know how to tell if it's a proof or not

14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just letting you know your coin is a nice looking 63. But it is not a die cap. All coins have raised rims, and I guess resemble a bottle cap, you are taking it too literal.
    Here are a few variations of Die Caps.
    http://www.error-ref.com/?s=die+cap.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

thanks for the info but again I'm looking at the coin ur right all coins have raised rims but not all coins are concaved like this one can u not see that in the pics?

16. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Ugh. Ok it isnt a die cap by far. It isnt a proof either. The strikes of cents in the 60s and 70s had the exact same rim as yours. It was a bit more pronounced and raised. It is just a normal strike.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

To answer one of your questions, it is not a proof, as the edge of the coin shows it is chamfered ( rounded bevel ) so it would not jam a gumball or similar cent machine , which they still had in the 60s. Proofs had strict right angle edges. The others have been answered . Obviously we only see the photos and any attribution companies will want it in hand to judge it and it can be costly. Its your coin , so you can put it in a holder and keep it for a while. Do some searches on the mint process and how the edges are turned up during the process of producing a coin. Best wishes, Jim

Bob Evancho and Whipps like this.
  18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The edges give away that it’s not a proof. I’d take the advice of these guys on whether it’s a die cap or not.

19. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if you can't handle the truth but your coin definitely isn't a proof or a die cap.

Cents struck in the early 1960s have the so-called 'concave' appearance; they are well struck and relatively high relief compared to later cents. A capped die will be very noticeable and in many cases, details/lettering will be poorly struck and almost unreadable.

In addition, proof coins have very distinct mirror-like fields (background). Yours does not have this unique look.

Here's an example of what a proof from 1963 would look like (not my image).
    s-l300.jpg

It's still a lovely uncirculated coin though :)

Attached Files:

20. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Ok thanks but Idk how u can't see the coins is concaved and shaped like a bottle cap if it's not a die cap why is it concaved and the words turn into the coin? Not the rim but the words

21. Jason yarber

Jason yarber Member

Thank u but it's not just the edges the words turn up also and it's concaved I'm new to this but when I sent the pic to heritage auctions they are the ones that fold me it was a diecap but they only take really expensive coins for auction so I've been researching g the die cap errors and this one seems to meet the qualifications if it's not then I'm wrong I guess I'm just going by what they said and what I've read is be more than happy to share the heritage auction identification with u guys they didn't say it was a proof I just thought it might be because of how good of shape it is thank u for ur advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.