Die Breakdown. What causes the marks you see on coins?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LostDutchman, Dec 7, 2012.

1. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Hey gang!

As most of you know I bought a big lot of old dies used to make tokens in the 20's and 30's. I began examining these dies for things that could translate to collecting denominated collector coins.

Die wear is one of the things that I find it hard to grasp. Used long enough all dies will fail.

Example #1 is a die crack. I have used silly putty as my "planchet" to show what the translation to a strike would be.

diecrack1.jpg diecrack2.jpg

Ernesto Pulido likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LostDutchman

#2 Radial Die Crack and heavy die polish/lines.

radial1.jpg radial2.jpg

4. LostDutchman

#3 Die Cracks and rim cud.
    cud and cracks1.jpg cud and cracks2.jpg

5. LostDutchman

#4 Recut Letter

recut1.jpg recut2.jpg recut3.jpg

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That die shows something that I have tried to explain a thousand times and few seem to understand, or be willing to believe. But this is a perfect illustration of it.

Before I start I want it understood that the method used to polish these token dies, while similar, is not exactly the same as that done mints like the US Mint. Folks making these token dies just aren't going to be as careful as they are at the mint. And their polishing disk is not as big in diameter as the one used at the mint. Also, it appears that the polishing of this die was done while the die was being held by hand. At the mint, the dies are held in a press, kind of like a drill press. So the die can be held perfectly steady and lowered down onto the polishing disk.

Anyway, look at the picture. The areas I have circled in red, those are what die polish lines look like on a die. See how the die polish lines are all parallel to each other and do not criss-cross - anywhere ? That's because it is impossible for them to criss-cross because of the nature of what happens when a larger spinning disk and a smaller, stationary die is held against that disk. Yes, the disk can create lines on the die. But all of the lines will be parallel and in a slight arc. The size of the arc is dictated by the size of the disk. In other words, the larger the disk then the larger the arc will be. And with a large disk like that used by the mint, the lines that are actually arced will almost appear to be straight. Conversely, the smaller the disk, then the more arced the lines will appear.

die polish lines on die a.jpg

Now the area I have circled in blue, look at it. And then allow your eyes to move down towards the bottom of the die. In this area where the person polishing this die only held the bottom half of the die against the polishing disk. That is why you can see the die polish lines diverge, in two different arcs going in opposite directions. And that is the only reason those lines in that area cross each other. Otherwise, it cannot happen.

Now all of those lines around the outer edge of the die - those are not die polish lines. That is damage that was done to the die, probably by somebody with a piece of sandpaper or steel wool. Somebody was probably trying to clean the die up or remove rust.

The point is, this picture illustrates why die polish lines on coins cannot criss-cross. If lines on a coin criss-cross, then they were caused by something else besides die polishing. They can be tool marks or scratches when they criss-cross, and they may well cross real die polish lines.

7. LostDutchman

Doug,

If you look at the blow up of example #1 you will see crossing lines. I do believe you are right however that some other cleaning/polishing(?) method would have been used on these dies to cause these lines. These look to be done by hand.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Matt

Those are great pieces.

Thanks for posting

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

In Margolis and Weinberg's Book, The error coin encyclopedia, in the section on die polishing, it mentions

When the die is found to produce defective coins due to a die clash, clog, or fill, the press is stopped and the die is cleaned. The cleaning process will often result in a slight change to the die.
    In one operation, a brush with strong wire bristles ...which will not bend or flex,The mint technician actually apply the brush to the die face and works it up and back....which may leabe fine scratch marks on the face of the die, This is considered acceptable and the die is put back into service. Until it wears down, the coins struck by that die will contaon fine raised lines in the fields. p.305

In case of clash indentations or more severe cases, they say

I have many coins with die polish lines that do criss cross and not in arcs, that I have no doubts are mint produced. The book noted above has many photographs of mint die preparation, and the only "circular" devices are the grinders they use to make each die Exactly the same height by bunch grinding a group of them on the bottom so the face is not touched.

I do think you are wrong on your statement of no criss-cross and always circular arcs on die polish lines, at least on circulating coins and they are implied to be made by straight line tools and by hand. IMO.

Jim

10. LostDutchman

I personally don't think that brushing a die with a brush would constitute a polishing... More of a cleaning in my book. I don't think a wire brush by hand will make die steel bright and shiny. Only a heavy duty mechanical polish can do that. It seems that we all have the same idea about what causes the crossing lines we just use different terminology when describing it.

11. lkeigwin

lkeigwin Well-Known Member

I agree. Here's a found-in-change coin that came from dies that had some significant "maintenance".
    Lance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. GDJMSP

Precisely the the point. But to be more accurate, some use the incorrect terminology. And yes, that includes Margolis & Weinberg. The marks from a dies clash are not "polished away". To say they are ground away or sanded away would be far more accurate.

Dies are polished with a large, spinning zinc disk, on a machine. The face of the zinc disk is covered with varying grits of diamond dust to polish the die, courser grits are used at first, followed by progressively finer grits, until the desired result is achieved. This method goes back to the 1800's, and is still in use today.

The criss-crossing marks seen on coins are, and should correctly be called die scratches - not die polish lines.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very informative! Thanks for posting the dies.

14. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

[​IMG]

"D) The die finishing lines on this coin are extensive, peculiar and fascinating. Indeed, they are deep, varying in dimensions, and very entertaining. A glass with at least ten times magnification is needed to thoroughly enjoy them, though many are apparent at three times magnification.

When metal brushes and other tools impart lines in the dies, or sandpaper-like patches, raised lines and bumps appear on the coin that is struck with such dies. There are areas on the coin that indicate that portions of the dies were unusually treated such that patches of small, raised shapes resulted.

On this coin, there are an astonishingly large number of die finishing lines, of varying lengths, densities and angles. In some areas, the die finishing lines are somewhat parallel and are spread apart. In other areas, they are close together or even lumped. Many die finishing lines on this coin crisscross. Some die striations are much higher than others (thus in greater relief); some are wider; some are shorter.

Yes, there are many die finishing lines on a large number of Proof Three Cent Silvers and on an even larger number of business strikes. Indeed, die finishing lines are often found on Three Cent Silvers. The groups, patterns, shapes, and variations of die finishing lines and other die treatment evident on this coin, however, are dramatically different, especially when the overall fabric of the coin is contemplated.
    I cannot fully explain the fabric of the Eliasberg 1851 Three Cent Silver. There are factors that cannot be articulated.

The individual or group that polished and otherwise treated the dies used to make this coin seemed to have had a great deal of fun. Areas on the dies corresponding to portions of the coin were given different treatments, including differences of degree and differences ‘in kind.’ The result is very cool."
    http://www.coinweek.com/featured-ne...ics-the-most-valuable-three-cent-silver-coin/

15. GDJMSP

You wanted proof of what I say toronto - this thread is your proof.

16. torontokuba

I'm just happy you agree with the coinweek article excerpt I've been plastering in related topics. I can adapt and start using the term "Die Finishing Lines", if you can.

17. GDJMSP

Die finishing lines, die scratches - both the same thing.

18. torontokuba

Perfect. You win. We'll do it your way. Die Finishing Lines.:smuggrin:

19. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Is it not possible that the orientation of either coin or the tool was changed to result in crossing polish lines?

20. GDJMSP

Die polishing is a multi-stage process done by machine, it is not done by hand. Dies have a key on the shaft so that they only fit into the press of that machine 1 way, 1 orientation. The polishing disk is fixed. So no, that can't happen.

21. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

[​IMG]

Alberto-Morell-Philadelphia-Mint-Buffer-Polisher

Draft saved Draft deleted