Die Adjustment Strikes ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin wu, May 24, 2015.

1. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

found those 2 penny about 10 years ago in same roll , one can see the date 200x and other one too weak to see anything .what you guys think ?

Attached Files:

coloradobryan and paddyman98 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Best Answer
    Both of these cents are grease strikes. The strong design rim is unmistakable evidence of this. By the way, the term "die adjustment strike" should never be used to describe a weak strike. In the case of a simple, centered weak strike there is no way to determine proximate or ultimate cause. The idea that these are escapees from test runs is highly unlikely. Multi-error weak strikes (and weak strikes are associated with nearly every other category of striking error) indicate that these errors are the result of spontaneous and often short-lived press malfunctions.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The first Cent 20XX is a Struck Through Grease. The 2nd Cent might be a Die Adjustment but I'm not 100% sure.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have a Struck Thru if you want to see an example - missing the same letters as yours but mine has the date.
    2474887-002.JPG

rockypa and Rick Stachowski like this.
  6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'm not sure either, heres a new image Kevin IMG_0134-horz.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Kevin how thick is the rim on the one I reposted ?

8. Kevin wu

the thick on rim is same as normal coin , no damage at all

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    Rick Stachowski likes this.
  9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I think you may have something there Kevin. Pretty cool coin, may just be what you think it is.. a die ajustment strike.

10. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Best Answer
    Both of these cents are grease strikes. The strong design rim is unmistakable evidence of this. By the way, the term "die adjustment strike" should never be used to describe a weak strike. In the case of a simple, centered weak strike there is no way to determine proximate or ultimate cause. The idea that these are escapees from test runs is highly unlikely. Multi-error weak strikes (and weak strikes are associated with nearly every other category of striking error) indicate that these errors are the result of spontaneous and often short-lived press malfunctions.

11. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

I'm not too well versed in errors, so this is very good info! I stand corrected. It makes sense that a true low pressure strike would not have strong rims.. I simply didn't think of that. Great info Mike.

12. Kevin wu

Thanks mike good to know

13. rockypa

rockypa New Member

Its a struck thru grease or heavly oiled die

Draft saved Draft deleted