Didn't get Clio'ed, picked up a Cleo

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zumbly, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

This is an excellent coin despite the sandy patina which is a VERY BAD THING nowadays. I would estimate that 80% of examples of this type are tooled and/or artificially patinated. Most so-called sandy patinas on eastern bronzes are just glued-on sand and resin intended to disguise that a coin is badly tooled/ altered/ almost-fake. Likewise with many Spanish bronzes. I avoid sandy patinas like the plague. There's nothing but distress when one pokes around with a supposedly sandy patinated coin. It really is best avoided. But you really dodged a bullet on this coin and picked up a terrific piece. Owners of this type in supposedly much better condition and who pay thousands usually own an altered near-fake. But your new coin is as good as these come in terms of honesty and originality. Do not think of cleaning it under any circumstances. The reverse is beautiful too, especially in its undamaged untooled current status.

Paul M. and zumbly like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks for your comments and endorsement, Andrew, it makes the conclusion of my hunt for one of these especially satisfying. Sidestepping the tooled and otherwise tampered with was definitely one of the challenges. This one felt right and, fortunately, the stars were right for me to win it at a price I could afford and am happy with. :)

Theodosius likes this.
  4. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

This is my worn Cleopatra, the picture did not turn out well :((very hard to take):
    Æ Half-unit were marked M, Greek for 40 copper drachms.
    Alexandria, 51 - 30 BC
    20 mm, 7.80 g
    Ref.: Sear, Imperators 949
    Obverse: Diademed and draped bust of Cleopatra right
    Reverse: ΚΛΕOΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ; Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; cornucopiae to left, M in right field

upload_2018-12-7_23-31-49.png
    upload_2018-12-7_23-32-9.png

5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, yay!

I want one, of course.

cmezner likes this.
  6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Forgot that I also have this one, don't know if it is 40 or 80 Drachmae. The value mark on the reverse looks like a Π or it could be an M with a very flat top:
    21 x 22 mm, 7.45 g; Alexandria, struck close to the outset of her reign in 50-48 BC
    Obv.: Diademed and draped bust of Cleopatra right
    Rev.: ΚΛΕOΠΑΤΡΑΣ ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ; Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; cornucopiae to left, Π or M in right field.

upload_2019-1-15_17-39-29.png

upload_2019-1-15_17-40-3.png

7. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I wonder if the nose on the bust is original. A very large number of ancient busts have the nose broken in antiquity and repaired in modern times. When they decide who the bust is, then they can go to the coins to decide what the nose should look like, and then have a skilled restorer add it back on. Very few museums are up front about such restorations.

SG7955CleopatraVIIn8303.jpg

Cleopatra. 26 mm. "80 drachma" as denoted by the mark of value to the right of the eagle, Π.

I don't emphasize Greek coins, but I think most of us would be happy to own a Cleopatra. I bought it in 1982 and have been able to enjoy having a Cleopatra ever since. We can hope a buying a good coin is like buying a bond; you get regular dividends (continuing enjoyment of ownership) and when the time is up, you get (some of, maybe even most or all of) your investment back.

Jwt708, TIF, Andres2 and 6 others like this.
  8. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

It has been covered before, and the short answer is, unfortunately, attributions to Cleopatra VII are fanciful and unlikely. If sellers are going to say these are Cleopatra VII coins, they should mention the controversy - it’s the ethical thing to do. Buyers will likely be disappointed if they aren’t told this.

9. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

A Cleo has always been on my shopping list. I’m looking for a Marc Anthony / Cleo denarius or tetradrachm - that would be an awesome thing to own!

Draft saved Draft deleted