did you take the A.na. diploma course

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Aug 31, 2016.

?

the american numismatic diploma course ????

1. 1) introduction to numismatics

18.2%
  2. 2) grading mint state u.s. coins

36.4%
  3. 3) the modern minting process

27.3%
  4. 4) grading coins today

27.3%
  5. 5) u.s. minting errors and varieties

27.3%
  6. 6) Detecting counterfeit and altered u.s. coins

27.3%
  7. havent taken it but may in the future

27.3%
  8. its a waste

27.3%
  9. cant afford the $600$ but may read alternative books

18.2%
  10. i already know it without taking it

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

hey hey hey did you take the American Numismatic Diploma Course ????
    1) Introduction to Numismatics
    2) grading mint state u.s. coins
    3) the modern minting process
    4) grading coins today
    5) u.s. minting errors and varieties
    6) Detecting counterfeit and altered u.s. coins
    did you pass all 6 courses, and take the final exam in the last book..

. did you know that there is a real final exam on top of the 6 course exams there a 7th exam...which encompasses the whole run of the course...

and i need to say its a dues y..

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'd love to, but the $429 cost would replace any chance of other numismatic spending for six months or more. Simply can't justify it when so many other things - coins themselves, photography, conservation - are clamoring for my limited budget.

joecoincollect likes this.
  4. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I took #2 and #4 before they were part of a Diploma Program per se, in the 1990's. They were just offered ad hoc then. I still have my two "with honors" certificates.

5. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

For me its a waste, as I don't collect modern US coins.

However, I've definitely spent hundreds of dollars in books and catalogs of ancient and medieval coins, and would encourage any U.S. collector to do the same for their side of the hobby. It is important to learn to detect fakes, learn to properly grade, and attribute whatever coins there are in area of numismatics you happen to collect. There is no substitute for knowledge. Spend the money, you won't be sorry.

Curtisimo and Insider like this.
  6. V. Kurt Bellman

I agree with the goal; I use a different means. I go to EVERY ANA show and a smattering of other major shows. I'll go to anything where they have talks. I go to major shows, not to shop, but to learn and interact. I go see people I like, and people I frankly DISlike speak. And, MAN, do I dislike bullionistas! It's a good way to learn things outside my "comfort range". If I get a little piece of a subject, I may find I want more. THEN I buy books.

Sallent likes this.
  7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I took all the courses in the poll plus the orginal beginner's course and intermediate course in 1979.

Jwt708 likes this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

That's TOO cool. How long did it take to go through the modern six?

9. longnine009

I guess each one took about a month. It was back in the 90's; no Internet, no life; didn't take too long.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  10. longnine009

You know the ANA has or had a cassette course in their library that was put out, *I think* by First Coinvestors in the 80's. I listened to some of those tapes a long time ago. It seemed like a pretty good course. But the tapes were breaking down. I think there were 10 of them.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

If the stuff is still useful, I hope they digitized it. I am in the process of doing a digitizing project for the Red Rose Coin Club of Lancaster, PA, trying to make mp3's out of little 3-inch reel-to-reel tapes. Numismatic talks from the 1960's done by some long departed giants in numismatics.

longnine009 likes this.
  12. kaosleeroy108

Wow would sure hope they make the new copies public

Sent from my C6740N using Tapatalk

13. kaosleeroy108

Hey that's what n I thought I ended up making better choices after I took the courses

14. V. Kurt Bellman

If I get everything working, I expect they will end up on the RRCC website. They seem to carry the old Kodak Carousel projector auto-advance signal on one channel, so I'm trying to get the audio off the other without the projector signal and then get the audio on both the L and R channels. That projector signal is stinkin' LOUD when it's read as audio!

15. kaosleeroy108

ok have you tried a spaitiad splitter.... on a hifi deck

16. kaosleeroy108

Hey Dave 6 months of coin spending is worth the investment, knowledge is power, if your going to be doing a hobby where book knowledge is and books are key tools your going to need the education to back the pariah of science

Insider likes this.
  17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I would absolutely like to do the course at some point, but there will be plenty of stuff in it I'm already capable of teaching myself. For me, it would be about filling in holes and details I don't know currently exist, and the environment we're in right here and now is capable of that too, as long as I'm attentive and willing to believe I don't know everything yet.

18. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

This thread has been dormant for some time but I would like to revive it.

I like the idea of the diploma course. I am not likely to consider it in the near future because of time constraints, but would like to do so at some point. My concern is that my interest does not lie in the area of US coins. I have coins from over 150 countries, although I do have my favorites. I would like to be able to grade coins from all countries with confidence and to be able to detect counterfeits with a reasonable degree of accuracy. I would like to have a great knowledge of numismatics in general than can be gained from the limited resources about world coins which are available in the USA.

Would those of you who have taken this course be willing to share your comments on this concerns I have ?

Thank you

19. kaosleeroy108

Hi Canada does have a Numismatists diploma course

And I know England has one I just don't remember the site / details Google the Canadian one it's available.. the principal and aspects and lessons in the class pertain to all coin collecting and grading persay

Draft saved Draft deleted