Did u ever see a coin...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wingnut6999, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Did u ever see a coin and immediately wanted it. Like it was calling pick me, pick me. It could be dirty, damaged, cleaned. U just know u want it.
    That's what happened with this one. I have 3 1853 seated and thought I'd look at more. I spotted this one and knew I wanted it. Damaged but barely worn. Lots of detail.
    These are the eBay pics, I'll post more when it hits my hand. 74sobv.jpg 74srev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. I would have grabbed them as well... Maybe has been "Polished", or slightly cleaned. In my opinion, if you use non abrasive distilled water just to get some dirt, grime, or maybe some unwanted green spots, is more of restoration. Professionally I believe they do this but am not sure. I know I have some coins, that are great coins... I just have never cleaned for value purposes, and through all my studys is a mixed field of opinions. Great coins! thanks for the share!

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

strange, I'd like to see closer pictures

5. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Nice! I think we belong to a different group of "collectors", who actually revere coins in this condition, no matter the conventional "value". Nice capture! :happy::singing::cigar:

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Dear heavens yes. Far more than wife would like...... Nice seated. I would have grabbed her up too.

Kentucky, Paul_62 and Wingnut6999 like this.
  7. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not me. Broken

R_rabbit likes this.
  8. R_rabbit

R_rabbit Well-Known Member

:)
    Imho, puff puff pass:dead:

9. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

Oh yes, I've had coins call to me all the time. And if I ignore them one day they'll still be there tomorrow calling me. Broken? -- not what I'd call it. Cleaned? Probably, any coin 145 years old was probably cleaned at one time or another. Hopefully, not to harshly. I'd say that coin has a bucket load of character! And I'm especially fond of coins from the San Francisco Mint. Great pick up, I wish I'd seen it....

10. Wingnut6999

Wingnut6999 Currency loving custodian

Nice to see someone who likes the san Fran mint like i do

Paul_62 likes this.
  11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Always count to 100,001 before pulling the trigger.

That works sometimes.:woot:

12. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

I keep wanting to know more about what was actually minted and issued from the SF mint - I haven't seen a really good and detailed history of the mint. I know of course how it was established and survived the 1906 earthquake, and how there are no tours of the older building downtown today, but I am curious about what all has actually been minted there. I'm currently gathering up the last issues of US coins for circulation, as far as I can tell the following --
    Lincoln Cent, 1974; Jefferson Nickel, 1970; Roosevelt Dime, 1955; Washington Quarter, 1954; Franklin Half Dollar, 1954 and the Eisenhower Dollar, 1974. Those are the issues that I know of that had an "S" mint mark. Perhaps you know or someone else here might know of a good source for more information.

13. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Engineering. We’re having problems with the transporter again.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I've done it. Most recently with some Philippine dollars. :)

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking the coin was once mounted in some type of jewelry.

Paul_62 and Wingnut6999 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted